Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I don't want to live on this planet anymore... (Read 22723 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Reply #75
I always re-format my cover art to 16:9 for a wider sound stage.

Reply #76

I hate the silent strips at the top and bottom.

Audiophiles are convinced that their equipment should reproduce sonic information giving them the exact positioning in 3D of each instrument. This might be what they call imaging, as opposed to the simpler left/right soundstage. They think that this information is encoded in the music. I don't think there is an up/down "panning" knob on any normal mixer.

Some time ago, I was amazed to find that this up/down thing can be done with just two speakers: Listening Environment Diagnostic Recording Test. But did anyone ever encode this information into a music recording? I simply can't believe that, if they did, the industry would have missed the huge potential of advertising 3D Music. And if they ever did, I guess that it is going to be a little different for every different ear in every different room.. So put that tape away!

The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #77

I hate the silent strips at the top and bottom.

Do not ever convert CD audio to 24 bits - the silent eight bits at the bottom will just annoy the hell out of you.

Reply #79
Glad to see you're paying attention to the discussion.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,111539.msg925158.html#msg925158

Reply #81
I only can speculate how i would feel as developer of a software that is said to have these terrific sound properties.
The jriver team should think about expanding their team with a professional paranormal investigator or at minimum with a Polynesian shaman.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #82
I think it is because the calculus and fourier analysis required to understand the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem proof is quite advanced mathematics, it is difficult to translate an explanation to laymen so the myth persists. If there was a simple way to explain to someone with three balls and a glass of water on a table high school science style, this myth wouldn't persist, but there is no easy way to explain it lol

Reply #83
I think it is because the calculus and fourier analysis required to understand the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem proof is quite advanced mathematics, it is difficult to translate an explanation to laymen so the myth persists. If there was a simple way to explain to someone with three balls and a glass of water on a table high school science style, this myth wouldn't persist, but there is no easy way to explain it lol
I think you are way over-estimating how difficult this is to explain. There have been several easy-to-understand videos on this exact topic. The problem is to get the doubters to watch them.

Reply #84
I think you are way over-estimating how difficult this is to explain. There have been several easy-to-understand videos on this exact topic. The problem is to get the doubters to watch them.
True, but I think you might be overestimating the intellectual capacity of many of the doubters.

Reply #85

really? Link me a video of the proof of the theorem that is easy to understand for people with little maths experience. Not what the theorem says, the proof.

Reply #86
True, but I think you might be overestimating the intellectual capacity of many of the doubters.

There are many phenomena I don't understand the mechanics of but I accept because they are well established in peer reviewed scientific journals.

For example the mechanics of how they know the black gene in our north american wolves is the result of a hybridization even with domesticated dogs brought over by the ancestors of the American Indians.

I understand they can look at the random mutations in the allele and trace the ancestry of allele, but I sure as hell don't understand the mechanics of how they do that, yet I accept that they can.

-=-

I guess what I am saying, when something has a mountain of evidence in scientific journals, I have no place to question it if I don't understand it.

Reply #87
Sure, but the Monty videos have a generous amount of show and tell, opposed to reports that almost exclusively contain technical prose.

While I do doubt the intellectual capacity of placebophile believers (I would prefer to use opposite terminology for those who exercise open-minded skepticism, no matter how mundane), I also doubt that opis has seen the presentations pdq is talking about since they contain very little math.

Have you seen them?

Reply #88
I've seen them, I watch them frequently, Monty is one of my geek heroes.

Honestly I think the biggest problem analog fans have is they don't understand a DAC puts out an actual analog wave form. Analog fans I know seem to think they put out a stair-stepped wave form, and many of them think ultra high sample rates and high bits per sample lessen "that effect", not realizing "that effect" isn't even how it works.

Reply #89
Monty has a video that clearly shows that this is not the case.  No math is required. ;)

Anyway, I didn't mean to cast such a broad brush earlier.  Not all placebophiles are bs crazy.

Reply #90
Link me a video of the proof of the theorem that is easy to understand for people with little maths experience. Not what the theorem says, the proof.
You can't expect the proof for a mathematical theorem to be quasi math-free. Sometimes, the formal proof of even a seemingly "self-evident" theorem can be mathematically challenging. And if you understand little math, you wouldn't even be able to judge if the proof is watertight or not. In other words you wouldn't know if the proof actually proves anything.

That is what makes ignorance so popular. The ignorant can dismiss even a perfect proof on the grounds that he doesn't understand it.

The way to make a theorem plausible to the layman is usually to show how the theorem leads to conclusions that can be tested to be true. So even when he doesn't understand the theorem itself or its proof, he can at least see it at work and functioning. Monty's videos have examples of exactly that.

Reply #91
Sure, but the Monty videos have a generous amount of show and tell, opposed to reports that almost exclusively contain technical prose.

While I do doubt the intellectual capacity of placebophile believers (I would prefer to use opposite terminology for those who exercise open-minded skepticism, no matter how mundane), I also doubt that opis has seen the presentations pdq is talking about since they contain very little math.

Have you seen them?

I haven't seen any videos :D I just wanted to make sure we were both talking about the proof, not the theorem. From experience I feel that a mathematical theorem is often not particularly convincing to  people who are not much into maths. It is more like "my opinion" which might be as wrong as anyone else's opinon.  For pretty much the reasons pelmazo stated.

And I know myself that if someone just tosses something at me and calls it a theorem it is not convincing at all, anyone can do that. But when I understand the proof the theorem becomes powerful. So it is all in the proof. Sorta. :D

Reply #92
Not what the theorem says, the proof.

I actually think that the theorem statement is hard enough to grasp, and to relate to reality (or to myths perceived as truth because of their plausibility, cf. the "ragged curve" misconception). And then it is the not-even-pronounced assumption that a sine wave basis is sufficient to the relevant application, which is really a spherical cow in a vacuum - in the sense that it is an empirical question whether pure-tone audiometry is good enough. That is no theorem.

Have a take then at the "ragged sine curve" and single out what errors underlie it, and what assumptions are really made in order to "disprove" it. Indeed, it all boils down to the "raggedness" being beyond the audible range (irrespective of whether the "raggedness" is filtered away, as that also relies upon being above the audible range). And that is not math. Maths alone cannot tell you whether the threshold is 15 kHz or 30 kHz or above or below or between, or whether it matters that you quote the threshold in "pure tone" (i.e. a sine wave signal).

Reply #93
... If there was a simple way to explain to someone with three balls ...
I have this horrible habit of mentally parsing sentences as I go along. Thanks for the chuckle :)

really? Link me a video of the proof of the theorem that is easy to understand for people with little maths experience. Not what the theorem says, the proof.

Maths dumbo here, and I can say: Monty's videos. Without them, I'd still be believing in stair steps --- which would, I suppose, make me a potential customer for "high-res" audio, because, pictured as sample stair steps, it makes sense. Thanks to him (and to JJ for some of his brilliant making-science-simple), I don't believe in them, and I am not such a customer.

I've seen them, I watch them frequently, Monty is one of my geek heroes.

Honestly I think the biggest problem analog fans have is they don't understand a DAC puts out an actual analog wave form. Analog fans I know seem to think they put out a stair-stepped wave form, and many of them think ultra high sample rates and high bits per sample lessen "that effect", not realizing "that effect" isn't even how it works.

The industry is to be blamed for that. That is my earliest memories of representation of digital [PCM]  sound. Hey, perhaps they were planning to sell us smaller steps in the future.  8)
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #94
Not what the theorem says, the proof.

I actually think that the theorem statement is hard enough to grasp, and to relate to reality (or to myths perceived as truth because of their plausibility, cf. the "ragged curve" misconception). And then it is the not-even-pronounced assumption that a sine wave basis is sufficient to the relevant application, which is really a spherical cow in a vacuum - in the sense that it is an empirical question whether pure-tone audiometry is good enough. That is no theorem.

Have a take then at the "ragged sine curve" and single out what errors underlie it, and what assumptions are really made in order to "disprove" it. Indeed, it all boils down to the "raggedness" being beyond the audible range (irrespective of whether the "raggedness" is filtered away, as that also relies upon being above the audible range). And that is not math. Maths alone cannot tell you whether the threshold is 15 kHz or 30 kHz or above or below or between, or whether it matters that you quote the threshold in "pure tone" (i.e. a sine wave signal).

Right in general I guess, I'm not a native English speaker so something might have gotten lost in translation but as you probably know any recorded audio the regular way will produce continuous periodic functions -of some sort- over a finite range, which can be converted through fourier analysis (fourier series) without loss of information, fourier transformed to some superposition of sine functions, which will then make a perfect reproduction of the original -recorded- audio, which is the basis for the proof of the N-S sampling theorem.

Of course one can argue over the threshold of listening, I agree we're not in the maths domain here but rather in the physics domain, and there you can of course always argue that all physics is empirical and yes I can't prove that you're not a bat who can hear in the 40-50 kHz band very easily :D So we'd have to leave it at that, if say you decided to be ultimately stubborn about it (for the sake of argument).

Personally I would call Hitchen's razor (burden of proof) aka abx testing and not bother about it. One could also again switch domain and treat it statistically, assume some distribution (normal/Gauss) and just conclude that out of all the documented testing of people's range of hearing, you'd be safe to be outside of five sigma if you could hear above 22050 Hz, and thus not bother with it either.

But then again for scientific arguments and proof you need all partners to agree on the scientific method. Of course you're right, for actual personal conviction of a stubborn person who doesn't, I got nothing.

Reply #95

I think this situation is being over-complexified.

Which of us demands knowledge of the derivation of the Laws of Thermodynamics before we ride in an automobile?

Same thing for audio. There is no controversy over the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorum. It works.

Next!

Reply #96

I think this situation is being over-complexified.

Which of us demands knowledge of the derivation of the Laws of Thermodynamics before we ride in an automobile?

Same thing for audio. There is no controversy over the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorum. It works.

Next!

Someone who refuses to get in the seat because they believe it will take off to the moon! :D the thing you quoted was a guess on why the myth persists.

Reply #97
Someone who refuses to get in the seat because they believe it will take off to the moon! :D
Maybe it does! It isn't impossible for things to take off to the moon, so there's a certain possibility that the car does. :D

Given enough thrust, pigs fly.

the thing you quoted was a guess on why the myth persists.
Part of the reason may be in the engineering, not the theory. The theory says that pigs can be made to fly (or cars made to take off to the moon). From that point on it becomes an engineering problem. Whether a particular pig or car is actually capable of doing the trick, is dependent on a number of parameters inherent in the setup, and it takes some skill to work out how those parameters combine to the end result.

In other words, if you haven't got a minimum of those engineering skills, you can't work out what the result would be. Your real life experience may indicate to you that pigs don't fly, but you can't prove it.

Interestingly, the engineer that makes a calculation to show that a particular pig setup can't possibly fly, uses approximate calculations based on approximate parameters. That's almost universally so, because exact calculations are too complex, and exact parameters aren't available. In that sense, you will always have a pretext that allows you to mistrust the calculation.

Reply #98
Someone who refuses to get in the seat because they believe it will take off to the moon! :D
Maybe it does! It isn't impossible for things to take off to the moon, so there's a certain possibility that the car does. :D

Given enough thrust, pigs fly.

the thing you quoted was a guess on why the myth persists.
Part of the reason may be in the engineering, not the theory. The theory says that pigs can be made to fly (or cars made to take off to the moon). From that point on it becomes an engineering problem. Whether a particular pig or car is actually capable of doing the trick, is dependent on a number of parameters inherent in the setup, and it takes some skill to work out how those parameters combine to the end result.

In other words, if you haven't got a minimum of those engineering skills, you can't work out what the result would be. Your real life experience may indicate to you that pigs don't fly, but you can't prove it.

Interestingly, the engineer that makes a calculation to show that a particular pig setup can't possibly fly, uses approximate calculations based on approximate parameters. That's almost universally so, because exact calculations are too complex, and exact parameters aren't available. In that sense, you will always have a pretext that allows you to mistrust the calculation.

haha yes but that's where the field of error analysis comes in to give you safe margins. Most of the time.. :D

but to not derail the thread: I am as annoyed as OP. Every time I read this stuff (that is in OP's post) I get frustrated. I Just have got to learn to put the lid on and accept and move on while others make tons of cash off of others on false promises.

Reply #99
I Just have got to learn to put the lid on and accept and move on while others make tons of cash off of others on false promises.
I agree, but it depends on the scale whether you can accept it and move on. When the lies take on monstrous proportions, and threaten to affect large parts of one's life, that becomes increasingly difficult. (Hint: Current politics. But I don't want to derail the thread, either)