Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Headphone impedance vs DAP volts / output power (Read 4166 times) previous topic - next topic

Headphone impedance vs DAP volts / output power

I found that my DAP puts 0.937 volts, output power of 58.5mW into 15 ohms load, with 1kHz signal.

Whatever those numbers mean, it drives very well my current headphones, which measure as per below:

Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.047 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 60 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 0.04 mW

Again, not very good with measurements.

I am thinking on getting a second pair of headphones, but their 2k impedanced make me think that my DAP won't be even able to drive them at 50 - 60db

Here are the measurements of the headphones I am considering:

Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.405 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 2096 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 0.08 mW

Is there a way to find out if the DAP will be able to drive them at 50db with the measurements above? Also, is there any risk of damaging my DAP with that load?

Re: Headphone impedance vs DAP volts / output power

Reply #1
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.405 Vrms

Your player does double that, so 90+6=96 dB.

You can't damage a player using a small load (high impedance). It's the same as running with no headphones plugged in (infinite impedance).

Reply #2
Right, so it is not only safe but also worth to try.

I must admit I am confused. I read a lot that headphones such as sennheiser HD800 are not suitable for DAPS like mine due to their high impedance (300 ohms).

That headphone measures as per below:
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.242 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 361 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 0.16 mW

So I have been focusing on lower impedance headphones (less that 70 ohms).

This pair of headphones has an impedance of 2k ohms but still they will be driven by my DAP? Did I misread your reply?

Reply #3
This pair of headphones has an impedance of 2k ohms but still they will be driven by my DAP?
I'd say yes.    But, they may not go as loud as some lower impedance headphones.

Loudness is related to power, but it's also related to efficiency.     (You usually don't get an efficiency spec, but you do usually get a sensitivity spec, referenced to Volts or milliwatts).   You get more power with lower impedance and that usually means more loudness, but not always.

The HD 800 is expensive and it you're spending that much money for a headphone you should probably listen first, and the store should allow you to plug-in your DAP if you're spending that much money.

Reply #4
I must admit I am confused. I read a lot that headphones such as sennheiser HD800 are not suitable for DAPS like mine due to their high impedance (300 ohms).

High impedance is not really a problem, low sensitivity is. However, you have a portable player with unusually high output voltage, and high impedance headphones with low but not ridiculously low sensitivity.

This pair of headphones has an impedance of 2k ohms but still they will be driven by my DAP? Did I misread your reply?

If the specs are accurate, it would be usable, but you might find some music types a bit quiet at maximum gain. The hd800s would be fine.

I don't think there is a good reason to buy weird impedance headphones though.

Reply #5
Right, so it is not only safe but also worth to try.

That headphone measures as per below:
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.242 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 361 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 0.16 mW

So I have been focusing on lower impedance headphones (less that 70 ohms).

2kohm headphone? was that a spelling error?

most headphones run just fine on most DAPs. will they provide the highest fidelity in the world, maybe not. but between dysfunctional and utopian perfection there is still a wide area where things simply work and the music is pretty cool.
a few DAPs won't go very loud so that's already a good reason to check the specs and make an approximation of your needs. then a few DAPs might suck a little into 600ohm but that's also pretty rare. they have way more chances to suck when plugged into some super sensitive 10ohm IEM, based on my limited experience.

Reply #6
If your priority is the headphones, buy them, see if your DAP gets loud enough, and if not, buy a small headphone amp. A Topping NX1 is 30 euros on eBay.

If using an amp is too cumbersome for you, return the headphones and pick another model with more reasonable specs. There's a ton of great headphones that can be driven by a DAP.

P.S. What headphones are those, btw?