Skip to main content

Topic: In-ear headphones with J cable, does it still exist? (Read 338 times) previous topic - next topic

• zilexa
  • [*]
In-ear headphones with J cable, does it still exist?
Sony used to have in-ear headphones with an asymmetrical cable, also known as J cable. The longer side of the asymetrical cable goes behind the neck and into the opposite ear. This mimics a single sided cable and reduces the amount of cable in front of the wearer during physical activity. Also, it is perfect when you are making phone calls and need to have 1 ear free. Most of the weight will be on your neck instead of your ear.

These days, it seems like all brands stopped producing J-cables and use conventional Y-cables instead.

The only two I found after searching for hours:
- Sennheiser CX 300-II but it lacks a mic. So you cannot use it with your phone to make calls.
- Sony XBA-1 (XBA-1AP for Android, XBA-1IP for iPhone) but it isn't being sold anywhere, not even Ebay.

In my opinion, J-cables are the best. I fail to understand why the market shifted fully to Y cables.
Does anyone have a tip on a brand selling in-ears with J cable (and a mic) ?

• zilexa
  • [*]
Re: In-ear headphones with J cable, does it still exist?
Reply #1
Nobody? :'( perhaps I should just give up and buy a conventional one.
I just don't understand why Y cable has become conventional.

• dyneq
  • [*][*][*]
Re: In-ear headphones with J cable, does it still exist?
Reply #2
J cable fan here!

I still have my old Sony MDR-EX70s (long may they run).

I recently bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-CKP500 exercise in-ears that have a J cable. They sound good to me. They may have some others in their lineup?

Good luck in your search!