Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero 5.5.10.0 (Read 20290 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #25
Right, you have to use resampling with the lower quality presets of PsyTEL/Nero. The difference between them is that Nero now uses resampling outside of the codec, if I understood Ivan correctly. So have a look around in the app where you can find an option that lets you resample the WAV before/while encoding. A sample rate of 32 kHz is a good start, maybe even 24 kHz would work now (PsyTEL crashes with this frequency) together with the -tape preset, although its cutoff is probably still at 13 kHz, so Mr. Nyquist would have to raise his finger again.  

32 kHz sampling rate is used for tape and radio presets - resampling is performed by NERO ("Ahead RAW Audio Convertor")plug-in)

24 kHz is used.. let's see..  for 56 kbps stereo CBR and  28 kbps mono CBR.

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #26
FYI, the latest faad and mp4 Winamp2.x plugins (CVS as of 12 Dec) are available here. The link will be valid for all subsequent updates.

EDIT SORRY!!! Now corrected.

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #27
Link not working for me (right now at least ).

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #28
32 kHz sampling rate is used for tape and radio presets - resampling is performed by NERO ("Ahead RAW Audio Convertor" plug-in).

Good idea... shall I give you the number of my bank account?  By the way, it would be great if there was some kind of change log or whatsnew.txt or even a manual where one could compare the changes you've made from PsyTEL v2.15 to Nero's plugin. Or is this top secret? The same would come in handy for every new release of Menno's plugin, so we wouldn't have to guess what happened since the last time.

24 kHz is used.. let's see..  for 56 kbps stereo CBR and  28 kbps mono CBR.

Maybe this would also be better for -tape, combined with a cutoff at 12 kHz? Because VeryBlur is right, AACEnc reaches its limits at these low bitrates, and 13 kHz lowpass with 32 kHz sample rate is still a bit too optimistic in my opinion. I wish I knew how FhG tuned their evaluation build... I guess they used Temporal Noise Shaping more than usual, because I can hear related artifacts on two occasions in the c't test file, but only if I switch on my "TNS detector".
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #29
The same would come in handy for every new release of Menno's plugin, so we wouldn't have to guess what happened since the last time.

The decoder code used in Nero is the same as the code in CVS.
I think a 2.0 version of the FAAD2 library is not far away, I'll distill the CVS changelog for a good changelog by that time.

Menno

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #30
Good idea... shall I give you the number of my bank account?  By the way, it would be great if there was some kind of change log or whatsnew.txt or even a manual where one could compare the changes you've made from PsyTEL v2.15 to Nero's plugin. Or is this top secret? The same would come in handy for every new release of Menno's plugin, so we wouldn't have to guess what happened since the last time.

Hmm - list is very very big, let's see:

1. Almost completely redesigned psychoacoustic model, with better PNS implementation

2. Better bit-reservoir management and bit allocation

3. Completely new TNS algorithm

4. New "fast" encoding mode - which is 15.4x real-time on P4 1.8

5. Much more MMX/SSE/SSE-2 optimizations

6. Direct support for MP4 file format

7. Medium quality preset, with 32-bit floating point arithmetics,  quallity is only little bit worse than "high" - but the speed is 30% higher (sometimes even more)

8. Overal speed optimizations of the algorithm - 100% faster execution speed

9. Many glitches and bugs fixed

I'll think about tape and 12 kHz cut-off with 24 kHz sampling rate...

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #31
Link not working for me (right now at least ).

ye, link insn't working

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #32
Well done Ivan  Nice work.

To me, it's a real shame it's wrapped up inside Nero though.  Plus I'm gonna have to pay for it, ontop of the fee for Nero 5.5! 

The speed improvements are great, up to 2x realtime on my pc!

I do have a complaint about the quality though..  Remember the NiN sample you posted with the background noise in there, it sounded like it was stuttering and badly mp3'd...    I did a little trial and noticed it has happened in other places.

Nero encode
Psytel encode

They both sound like ass because they're -radio..  I'm sure the people here could hear the difference up to -streaming though I imagine.

Also, how come when encoding a file, the speed indicator works its way up from 0?  It takes about 5 seconds to get up to full speed    (that isn't exactly an earth shattering bug though!)
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #33
The decoder code used in Nero is the same as the code in CVS.
I think a 2.0 version of the FAAD2 library is not far away, I'll distill the CVS changelog for a good changelog by that time.

Thanks...
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #35
Hmm - list is very very big, let's see:
[...]
I'll think about tape and 12 kHz cut-off with 24 kHz sampling rate...

Very interesting, thank you... I think I'll extract this list to a text file and keep it in my PsyTEL directory.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #36
Ivan,

I found a bug on the MP4 plugin for Nero. When I finished encoding a song using 40kbps CBR, after that I switch the mode to 96kbps CBR, the sampling rate for the encoded output is the same as 40kbps CBR i.e. 22kHz. I thought 96kbps CBR should be using 44kHz sampling rate instead? Hopefully this information could help to improve the quality of the plugin.

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #37
Hey Ivan, I'm ripping a DVD movie and I would like to convert the ac-3 audio to AAC, what is the quality setting do you think I should use?

bump, a little help here???

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #38
give it a try yourself.  I would think the -streaming preset or 128 CBR would be ok.

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #39
I second that... maybe 96kbps is good also...

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #40
I found a bug on the MP4 plugin for Nero. When I finished encoding a song using 40kbps CBR, after that I switch the mode to 96kbps CBR, the sampling rate for the encoded output is the same as 40kbps CBR i.e. 22kHz. I thought 96kbps CBR should be using 44kHz sampling rate instead? Hopefully this information could help to improve the quality of the plugin.

Yes - It seems that this is a bug - workaround is to remove file and add it to the file list again-  96 CBR has default sampling rate of 32 kHz btw.

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #41

3. The decoder doesn't accept *.aac files created by Pystel.

That is, unfortunately, true

yup...

????????????

what e hell... funny...

i thougt.. the general idea.. was to make a "transparent" plugin..

is this a technical issue..?? or another of aheads bad ass desissions..!!

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #42

I tested that, there is no problem with decoding PsyTEL files, it works prefect, but only if they are muxed in mp4. You cannot load  *.aac  So it has nothing to do with the encoder, it is about the file-format. If you want to decode aac with nero mux it to mp4 first with mp4creator:
mp4creator -create=infile.aac outfile.mp4
Anyway it would be nice if it would support .aac file-format, too.

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #43

I tested that, there is no problem with decoding PsyTEL files, it works prefect, but only if they are muxed in mp4. You cannot load  *.aac  So it has nothing to do with the encoder, it is about the file-format. If you want to decode aac with nero mux it to mp4 first with mp4creator:
Anyway it would be nice if it would support .aac file-format, too.

yup...

in other words..

i need to mux. around 30 CD`s.. for this wonder to work..

think not.. back to BAO.

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #44
If you want to decode aac with nero mux it to mp4 first with mp4creator:

does mp4creator support wildcards like this
mp4creator -create=*.aac *.mp4
?
Sven Bent - Denmark

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #45
does mp4creator support wildcards like this
mp4creator -create=*.aac *.mp4
?

Speek's Psytel encoder frontend can do this automatically for you.  It supports mp4creator, so it is the quickest and easiest way to do batch operations like this.

edit: Here's the link - Speek's AAC Frontend

Jordan

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #46
Speek's "Ivan & Menno" can't create .mp4 files, only .aac. It doesn't support mp4creator.
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']edit: this is wrong outdated information, read on .[/span]

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #47
my probesm it all my AAC files i wsih to make to .mp4

doing it by one commandline for each is gonna be hell
Sven Bent - Denmark

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #48
Speek's "Ivan & Menno" can't create .mp4 files, only .aac. It doesn't support mp4creator.

If you read the description on his site, you will discover that it does support mp4creator.  It was updated a few weeks ago to support mp4creator.  You even replied to that thread, SK1.  This allows you to change your aac files to mp4.  To do this, put mp4creator and Speek's frontend in the same directory.  Using Speek's frontend, add all your aac files, make sure mp4 is selected in the encoder section, and press convert.  I just tested it right now and it works perfectly.  No typing into the command line endlessly  .

Edit: Thread Link - AAC -> MP4 batch codec available

Jordan

Nero 5.5.10.0

Reply #49
edit: ah I reread the next post, not what you needed...well, never mind about that, but hey this is still very handy though

If you mean to rename your extensions, Grab Oscar's File Renamer here, its free.  It'll do it all at once, a very handy piece of freeware.

http://www.mediachance.com/free/index.html
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!