Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Clicking notification (tray) icon does not always restore hidden main window (Read 1426 times) previous topic - next topic

Clicking notification (tray) icon does not always restore hidden main window

The minimize/restore functionality of the tray icon is really screwing with my head!

Usually I'll start a playlist playing, minimize (hide) foobar2000 to the tray (by clicking the minimize button or the notification icon itself), and only restore the main window when I want to change the playlist or start a new one, then minimize (hide) it again.  On many occasions when I've clicked the notification icon to restore the window the task bar button reappears but the window does not.  I end up having to click the icon a few more times to finally get the window to appear.

Some things I've noticed:
  • The taskbar button always disappears/reappears correctly when the window is minimized/(supposed to be) restored.
  • The window always disappears correctly when I minimize it; only restoring the window is problematic.
  • This behavior can occur whether I have audio playing or not.
  • Sometimes when the window fails to reappear I'll try clicking the taskbar button, thinking the window somehow ended up lower in the Z-order and I just need to activate it.  I think in every case when I've hovered over the taskbar button long enough for the Aero Peek preview to appear the window reappears, too; clicking isn't necessary (and is even counter-productive because it causes the window to reappear for an instant and then disappear along with the taskbar button).  However, quickly moving the mouse over and then off the taskbar button is not enough to trigger this; it has to be long enough for the Aero Peek preview to appear, and then the window becomes visible along with it and stays visible.
  • Other times when the window fails to reappear I'll try minimizing the active window using its minimize button, and sometimes just the act of moving the mouse to the top of the screen causes the foobar2000 window to reappear.
  • In trying to reproduce this problem, it's not consistent but if I repeatedly click the notification icon once per second (alternating between minimize/restore) I'd say once, maybe even twice per 10 clicks the window will fail to reappear.
  • Just discovered this, but when the window fails to reappear I still see what should be the window underneath (currently a Firefox session writing this post) but moving my mouse around does not produce the usual UI interactions I would expect (browser tabs and buttons are not highlighted by hovering, fields and buttons for this forum software are not highlighted by hovering).

More interesting, though, is that if I move my mouse to just the right spots it responds as if I am hovering over the foobar2000 window.  For example, if I move the mouse to where the boundary between two panes would be the cursor changes to a resize grip (and if I click and hold the foobar2000 window reappears as soon as I start dragging with those panes being resized), and if I move the mouse to just the right location at the top of the screen a tooltip for a playback button will appear (and the entire window along with it).  So, it seems that for all intents and purposes the window is being restored, it's just not always being drawn.  (If I just click around the screen at random, though, I still get the non-interactive view of Firefox until I happen to hit the location of a foobar2000 button, menu, etc.)

I am using v1.4.8 on 64-bit Windows 10 Pro 1903 v18362.418.  On the Background and Notifications page I have Window minimize and close set to Minimize hides, close exits and Notification area icon set to Show always.  I have a few components installed but they all only add support for additional file formats; no GUI modifications other than their own configuration menus.  Foobar2000 Doesn't set active window after a Minimize/Restore sounds like it could be similar to my problem, although it's not entirely clear what that post is describing.

Re: Clicking notification (tray) icon does not always restore hidden main window

Reply #1
Probably related to these known issues in the 1.4.x release and most likely fixed in the 1.5.x beta releases

Re: Clicking notification (tray) icon does not always restore hidden main window

Reply #2
Probably related to these known issues in the 1.4.x release and most likely fixed in the 1.5.x beta releases
I had seen that thread, however my problem occurs without ever exiting foobar2000.  Also, that issue dealt with the minimized-to-tray state not being persisted after a restart, whereas here the issue is that attempting to restore the window from the minimized-to-tray state doesn't always work correctly.

Reply #3
Hi there,

Out of curiosity, do you use Windows 10 in tablet mode? I get similar issues you describe in tablet mode, but not desktop mode.

Specifically if foobar is minimized in tablet mode, clicking the tray icon makes the taskbar button blink, then clicking the taskbar button makes the window appear. If not minimized, it takes two clicks on the tray icon to appear, with the foreground window flashing on the first click as if trying to swap windows. Just clicking the taskbar button (when visible) activates the window correctly in all cases. And the same behavior no matter which setting in Preferences under 'Window minimize and close', only different depending on the minimized state as above.

No issues in desktop mode though. No idea why tablet mode changes things (Microsoft! >:( ), but it would be nice if the tray icon worked as the taskbar button does.

Cheers

Reply #4
Hi there,

Out of curiosity, do you use Windows 10 in tablet mode? I get similar issues you describe in tablet mode, but not desktop mode.

Specifically if foobar is minimized in tablet mode, clicking the tray icon makes the taskbar button blink, then clicking the taskbar button makes the window appear. If not minimized, it takes two clicks on the tray icon to appear, with the foreground window flashing on the first click as if trying to swap windows. Just clicking the taskbar button (when visible) activates the window correctly in all cases. And the same behavior no matter which setting in Preferences under 'Window minimize and close', only different depending on the minimized state as above.

No issues in desktop mode though. No idea why tablet mode changes things (Microsoft! >:( ), but it would be nice if the tray icon worked as the taskbar button does.

Cheers
No, I'm using Windows 10 on a desktop when I experience my issue.  I have the same expectation, though, that clicking the tray icon works just the same as clicking the taskbar button.

Reply #5
Did you try foobar v1.5 latest beta?
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #6
Just to be clear, I was referring to the feature of Windows 10 called "tablet mode" which is enabled by the action center button. Not the type of computer being used. (Perhaps check it has not been enabled by mistake?)

It seems to be the same in foobar 1.5 betas.

Reply #7
Did you try foobar v1.5 latest beta?
No, I haven't tried v1.5 since, well, it's a beta and the changelog didn't list anything that sounded like it addressed my problem.

I should add that v1.4.8 isn't the first version with which I've experienced this problem, but at least the last few versions.
Just to be clear, I was referring to the feature of Windows 10 called "tablet mode" which is enabled by the action center button. Not the type of computer being used. (Perhaps check it has not been enabled by mistake?)

It seems to be the same in foobar 1.5 betas.
Ah, I wasn't aware of that setting.  It's off, though.

Reply #8
No, I haven't tried v1.5 since, well, it's a beta and the changelog didn't list anything that sounded like it addressed my problem.

Well, try v1.5 and report back.

Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why