Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Buzzing Weirdness (Read 2381 times) previous topic - next topic

Buzzing Weirdness

Ok, so in the last week and a half, some buzzing started occuring in my audio system.

I have a stereo-link plugged into an integrated amp, which then feeds two speakers.  Here's the kicker, when my GF plugs in her on-board soundcard into the integrated amp, it starts buzzing on MY line (not hers).  If I disconnect while she's still plugged in, the buzzing ceases.

This seems to be consistant across all input combinations.  Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong in my system, or more importantly, how to remedy this problem?

Buzzing Weirdness

Reply #1
Seems like you've got yourself a ground loop. The most easy (but not the safest!) way to solve this is to disconnect the earth lead (from the wall socket) from your or your GF's computer.
A safer way is to use audio isolation transformers between the amp and the computer.

Buzzing Weirdness

Reply #2
1) Try to ground the computer case to a cold water pipe.

2) Try to run a wire from the PC case to the amps grounding post.

Buzzing Weirdness

Reply #3
Seems like you've got yourself a ground loop. The most easy (but not the safest!) way to solve this is to disconnect the earth lead (from the wall socket) from your or your GF's computer.
A safer way is to use audio isolation transformers between the amp and the computer.

I'd rather not clip the 3rd prong if that's what you're talking about.  I DO have a number of 3 -> 2 prong connectors lying around. Would this do the trick?  What risks do I run by doing this?

Also, where would I get an audio isolation transformer?

2) Try to run a wire from the PC case to the amps grounding post.

Unfortunately, living in an apartment, I don't really have convenient access to water pipes.  I'm not sure if my amp has a grounding post (I'm at work right now, so I won't be able to make any changes until I go back home), so could you tell me what it might look like?  Would it be the ground post typically used for phonographs (record players)?

Thanks to both of you for your help so far.

Buzzing Weirdness

Reply #4
Yep, the phono ground one. No need for transformers as they're used (AFAIK) only for speaker-level signals (lowering output impedance for tube amps or for professional use - with long-distance speaker cables to raise the voltage & reduce the amperage - diminishing the power loss across the cables).

Edit: no risk involved if you use a 3-to-2 prong adapter.