Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_musicbrainz (Read 278415 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #200
I've been using this tagger and have been quite happy with it.  Only problem I am having is with the "Original Release Date" tag.  I went to tag the 2013 remaster of Aladdin Sane by David Bowie.  The MusicBrainz window that pops up shows the original release date as 1973, but the tag is written as 2013.  Anyone else seeing this?

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #201
edit: i completely missed the first release date box in the dialog. it does appear to be a bug that this is not written as the original date.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #202
In my case, the plugin shows "Date: 2007" and "First Release: 1994". Then it writes tags "DATE" and "ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE" that are both equal to 2007.

One may think that the value of the "ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE" tag should be equal to 1994.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #203
That's a bug Dremora fixed a long time ago. He just never got around to push a plugin update.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #205
I would build it myself but it doesn't compile against any of the 3 versions of the SDK available on http://www.foobar2000.org/SDK :/

You also need WTL library.

Meanwhile I compiled this plugin using the sources from github. Try it if you want.
I pushed its version from 0.3 to 0.3.1.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #206
Am I the only one having problems? I can't get it to work, neither by Album ID, Artist and album search and also TOC give me this error: Nothing found, I have tried with different songs/albums but it's the same, even with properly tagged files with musicbrainz tags an IDs, but it seems it's not working. Any clues why?

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #207
it's working fine for me. do other internet features from within foobar work? for example, can you use the Help menu to check for new versions or updated components?

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #208
it's working fine for me. do other internet features from within foobar work? for example, can you use the Help menu to check for new versions or updated components?

yeah, working properly. sigh, I wonder what could be the problem

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #209
are you selecting a whole album at once? the track count needs to match what is being asked for.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #210
"the track count needs to match", also the track order, and lengths of all tracks of an album.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #211
if you use the artist/album dialog, the component couldn't care less about existing tags/order/length. try it and see. you can type in any old album so long as the track count matches your selection.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #212
Yes, you are right. Apparently it only matters for "Get tags by TOC" command.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #213
when using foo_musicbrainz I don't get the option to see the matching tracks that I have to the one presented for output. 

I went ahead and continued with an example album I have tested it with and the tracklisting was wrong.

Any options for matching the tracklist?

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #214
Am I the only one having problems?

Nope. I had tried it some years ago and it never did anything useful for me (unfortunately, I was too lazy to ask here, so I just blame myself for being too dumb).

Today, I tried it again with f2k 1.3.8 on Windows7 64Bit german language, but the result is just the same...
I was testing with 0.3 (from 2011) and the nicely offered 0.3.1 (from 2015).

All testing was done by selecting a single song, the whole album, or some random songs from it.

usecase1:
I go to the website https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/89dac...7da1950/details
I copy the MBID 89dacf8b-51a3-3abd-84fa-df14b7da1950
I paste it in the "Query MusicBrainz by MBID" popup, it gives: Response from MusicBrainz: Not Found

usecase2:
I chose the "by TOC" thing.
it gives things like: Track length in samples must be divisible by 588.
and/or Response from MusicBrainz: Not Found

Funny thing btw,
I have bound a keyboard shortcut for this, because I never found this option in the f2k menus or context menus, but only in the Keyboard Shortcuts Dialogue.
After executing the usercase2, I go to the Keyboard Shortcuts Dialogue again and see Action not found E6B33D29-4C0C-47F2-A844-0488A6109FC0 on my bounded key......but the shortcut is working (anyhow...)

usercase3:
I chose "by Artist/Album".
I copy the Infos (i.e. "Ben Daglish" and "The Last Ninja") to the corresponding fields and it gives Nothing found.

So I got 3 different failures from the plugin while trying the 3 different ways it offers me.

I too think the usability is very inconvenient/poor in comarisson with the DiscoGS, which is in development again (fortunately!). Autofilling the corresponding Tags into the "by Artist/Album" popup-fields, when available in the file, would be nice. Its 2015 :-) And while I'm listening to music from the 80s, I'd love to have the comfort of the actual time ;->

But instead of just complaining and whining, I'd like to ask somebody here to recheck/confirm my usercases, so I can be sure, its not my fault.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong or have no meeting dependencies.... I just don't know.

Cheers.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #215
But instead of just complaining and whining, I'd like to ask somebody here to recheck/confirm my usercases, so I can be sure, its not my fault.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong or have no meeting dependencies.... I just don't know.

Too exotic albums, IMHO.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #216
But instead of just complaining and whining, I'd like to ask somebody here to recheck/confirm my usercases, so I can be sure, its not my fault. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or have no meeting dependencies.... I just don't know.

Too exotic albums, IMHO.
Hmmm....that album is listed on the MB site, so its known by MB.
Why should it be too exotic? 
That opinion doesn't make sense to me.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #218
The correct link is http://musicbrainz.org/release/463f2410-19...185985f/details  and its ID is 463f2410-1958-4174-a3bb-63520185985f
Now your opinion makes sense to me %-)
I'm sorry for the confusion and thanks for pointing out! (the album name "C64 Hits, Volume 1: Back to the Roots" is the same on both of the links, so I guess, it shouldnt be a problem, tough)

Anyways, hopefully somebody will try my usercases and tell if its working the way its expected by the user.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #219
usecase1:
I go to the website https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/89dac...7da1950/details
I copy the MBID 89dacf8b-51a3-3abd-84fa-df14b7da1950
I paste it in the "Query MusicBrainz by MBID" popup, it gives: Response from MusicBrainz: Not Found

since lvqcl doesn’t know about this too … a release-group groups releases (duh) which are alike but not exactly the same. let’s say there is a normal version and a deluxe edition with some bonus tracks of the “same” release. both of them would be grouped together in this release-group. in case there would be a single or ep or something with the same name, but totally different content, it would go into a different release-group.

while it is understandable that you didn’t get any results while pasting the mbid of a release-group into a field which demands a release mbid, from a usability standpoint this isn’t great. it would be better if it would show all or at least some of the releases of this release-group the way it does for the other two query methods.

usecase2:
I chose the "by TOC" thing.
it gives things like: Track length in samples must be divisible by 588.
and/or Response from MusicBrainz: Not Found

Funny thing btw,
I have bound a keyboard shortcut for this, because I never found this option in the f2k menus or context menus, but only in the Keyboard Shortcuts Dialogue.
After executing the usercase2, I go to the Keyboard Shortcuts Dialogue again and see Action not found E6B33D29-4C0C-47F2-A844-0488A6109FC0 on my bounded key......but the shortcut is working (anyhow...)

that’s probably some technical thing concerning audio-cd formats or something. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_...o#Data_encoding at least that’s what I guess. i tried it with a few albums and it looks like the context menu entry wont be shown for files which don’t met this criteria. i don’t know if this is over-engineering in this case and i haven’t done a lookup with disids myself. anyway here’s the documentation for that part in case someone want’s to tinker with it: https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Development/XML...ersion_2#discid

usercase3:
I chose "by Artist/Album".
I copy the Infos (i.e. "Ben Daglish" and "The Last Ninja") to the corresponding fields and it gives Nothing found.

that might be a release which isn’t added to the database yet. https://musicbrainz.org/artist/017495e8-ceb...?va=1&all=1 at least it’s not listed on the page of the artist

I too think the usability is very inconvenient/poor in comarisson with the DiscoGS, which is in development again (fortunately!). Autofilling the corresponding Tags into the "by Artist/Album" popup-fields, when available in the file, would be nice.

+1
just keep the feedback constructive. i would like to see this plugin getting some much needed maintenance/love  especially because of all those discogs shenanigans in the last few months.
and while i can’t help with programing – at least on a this level – if you do have any questions about the web service or the structure of mb data itself, just let me know

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #220
All testing was done by selecting a single song, the whole album, or some random songs from it.

so much fail right here. the selection must match the release you're trying to lookup. how else could you possibly expect it to work? it could be one track if it's a single on MB but in most cases you'll be  looking up whole albums.

if looking up by TOC then the number of tracks AND length of tracks has to match. obviously they need to be in the right order too.

if looking up by artist/album then the only restriction is on the number of tracks. it won't care about track length or order so this is something you must manage yourself.

really this component is for albums that are in the right order with incomplete tags. it's not for managing cluster****s of files you might have.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #221
Thank you for reading *and* clarifying some things here!
its now clear to me, that this component is too complicated and restricted for me.

so much fail right here.
yes, out of an ordinary view of a common user, this component could be less picky and more communicative, IMHO.

So the TOC thing works like the freedb component then, if I understand it correctly. Ok. Makes sence to me now.

Other things like "artist/album" should work simple too.

why does the user has to enter "artist/album" when the component is not able to give back a list with matches from the MB-DB?

From my point of view, the component should *support* the user who likes to tag his files.
support is something like helping with suggestions. or give hints how the userimput could be improved or more unerring.

if looking up by artist/album then the only restriction is on the number of tracks.

When I'd like to tag an album which has originally 12 tracks but I decided to delete 5 tracks from it, because I don't like to listen to the tracks anymore, does that mean, the component will not match my input of "artist/album" ? seems to limit the usage of the component way too much.

really this component is for albums that are in the right order with incomplete tags. it's not for managing cluster****s of files you might have.

Ok, thats a point now. I'd like to tag my files/music. And there are a lot of clustered albums I own. I.e. when buying music (mostly single tracks of an album) from iTunes/beatports/etc this component cannot help me.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #222
When I'd like to tag an album which has originally 12 tracks but I decided to delete 5 tracks from it, because I don't like to listen to the tracks anymore, does that mean, the component will not match my input of "artist/album" ? seems to limit the usage of the component way too much.

i don't think my previous post could have been any clearer. sorry to be so blunt but i think your expectations are ridiculous. 

good luck finding any other internet tagger that caters for your needs.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #223
I'd like to tag my files/music. And there are a lot of clustered albums I own. I.e. when buying music (mostly single tracks of an album) from iTunes/beatports/etc this component cannot help me.
This - http://picard.musicbrainz.org/ - would accomplish that, would it not? Or is there some fundamental piece of information missing that prevents use of it for such a scenario? Beyond the obvious answer of some album/track/etc. not existing in Musicbrainz as a whole, which would not be the fault of the program.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #224
If anyone is willing to continue the development of this plugin, may I suggest the following features:

* Option to specifically toggle what tags the plugin writes (list of MusicBrainz tags). It currently does not write many available tags.
* A field in the option dialog to remap/merge the MusicBrainz tags to user specified tags, using titleformating.