Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Philips az 2558 questions (Read 8452 times) previous topic - next topic

Philips az 2558 questions

hi, just bought a philips az 2558 , really cool soundmachine, is able to play mp3, but i noticed when i connect my headphone to it, he plays the mp3 much better than my portable cd-mp3 player, this radio cost me like €200 and the portable mp3 player like €70, doesn't make sense or... is the expaninium decoding technology of philips one of the best maybey?? or are there better decoding technology aka iRiver ...

also i noticed the radio has wOOx  , anybody has a clue what is actually does, how does it works, search the net but havn't found anything

the radio 2* full range loudspeaker , 1* passive loudspeaker (<= wOOx)
has 2*10 W RMS or 2*20W MPO wich is really enough for me in my small room, and the fact it's a soundmachine if i want i just plug the radio out and take it with me to the garden, that's why i don't like stereo and i think 2*10 W RMS makes him one of the best soundmachines qua Watt

someone could help me found the answers???

greetz koen

Reply #1
http://www.audio.philips.com/found.asp?Key...9&AbsPosition=1

also another question :-), sorry, the radio has usb connections wich makes it possible to play sounds from the computer on the radio without the ussual AUX-cables, does it actually let the music sounds better? the usb connection => digital sound or analog sound???

i think i'd better think twice before i buy something i buy something and don't know if it's good

blame on me 

Reply #2
wOOx is a brand name for some proprietary low frequency driver technology that likely does very little indeed, as is the fashion in the mini-system realm. I'd assume it's probably a porting or driver excursion design, but it really doesn't matter.

You haven't bothered to state what exactly is better about the sound of mp3's from the boom-box relative to the portable - is it cleaner or is it just more likely to play certain types of files?
Most current mp3 decoders should have quite similar decoding quality (though certain portables like my original Classic, did have some problems, and some modern DVD players that claim mp3 CD playback also have issues), I would guess the major differences would be the opamp quality or something else in the output stage.

USB connection are computer data connections - wholly digital. This means the boombox does the Digital to Analog conversion.
I doubt the boombox has a particularly high quality DAC, but I also doubt anyone would be able to hear a real difference between DAC designs with a boombox of any type., "wOOx" or no "wOOx".

Reply #3
hey, sorry it took so long, just back from a holiday

the dac, the boombox doesn't do it itself, it's a program named philipsremotecontrol.exe that runs on the background and converts ( i think) from every song played on the computer ( eg mp3, mpc, wma, svcd, vcd,, midi) the music output ( generated by the soundcard) to a digital signal and sends this digital signal via usb to the radio, don't know if the signal is digital or analog, why philips invented this system , don't know, could it be because now there is NO qaulity loss, because i heard somewhere analog output via usual elektric cabels to the AUX - input of your radio or stereo isn't that good and you'll always get qaulity loss, anyway why does the radio has usb and analog  AUX - connection, is it just a gadget or ..., personnaly i can't hear any different

and the mp3-player : when i listen to bruce springsteen - the ghost of tom joad lame 3.93.1 256kbit/s joint stereo with my portable mp3 player i hear on the background some can't discribe the sound in english sorry, but with my pc and my philips a don't hear it, strange, maybey i post some wav's recorded with my pc, you know, portable = cable = pc ( pcm 44.1khz), philips = cable = pc when i have finally some time

for the rest, it's a damm good portable radio ( the philips) good sound , very good stereo impression of the music, more than my older radio, and that was a stereo, distance between the loudspeakers 1.5m when now the philips is on the exact same place, don't understand :-d

anyway again sorry if i typed some strange sentences in english ( native language = = dutch)

greetz koen

Reply #4
Hi! this topic seems a bit old, but anyway: what kind of software does the Philips USB-link support? After recent breakdown of my previous, 5-year old, Philips boombox I searched the net and prefer the AZ 2558. However, till I read this post, I thought the USB-link only worked with the provided Philips-software, which only supports MP3. But reading Koen's post it seems I'm quiet wrong, and all formats, whatever software-programs (?), are supported. Or not? And if so, would this be applicable to all Philips-USB-linked-products (MCM350, MCM570)? Thank you!

Reply #5
i'm gonna help you out ;-)

first the software supplied by philips ( you get cd with the radio)
1) driver for using usb ( called philipsremote.exe) wich sends all music instead through your pc speakers , through your az2558
2) musicmatch => with this program the id3tag is shown on your az2558 + you can use the remote control of the radio to scroll in the playlist and select wich song, even if you are not in front of the computer ( id3tag + filename on the display of the 2588) kinda cool, scrolling with the remote control

+ with windows media player 8.0 you can scroll also in the playlist of windows media player with the remote control BUT no id3tag shown on your display of the az255 :'(

=> each sound played on the computer goes to the radio, the philipsremote.exe sends each sound in i think analog output to the az2558 ( don't know that for sure, maybey in pcm format)

hope i answered your questions, the az2558 is a very good soundmachine, i own it now for some month or 3 , only thing i prefer is a bit more power + on very high volume the high frequencies are a bit nasty

greetz

Reply #6
And if so, would this be applicable to all Philips-USB-linked-products (MCM350, MCM570)? Thank you!

i guess yes ;-)

Reply #7
This forum (your reply ) is much better than the 3 store "professionals" I talked to this week! G-reat! Thx! Hm, boombox or hifi?

Reply #8
if you prefer extremely high basses +  i recommend you the
FWM567 (cost price here around $ 360, if i known the price of the stereo before i bought the az2558 , i've definitely bought this one, i bought the az2558 for $210 wich i think is not really cheap for just a portable mp3 radio)

the boombox really is cool, let me know if you buy one

greetz

Reply #9
The AZ2558 indeed is quiet expensive; I didn't see a more expensive boombox (and I've seen a lot boomboxes the past days ). If I'll buy a hi-fi it'll be the MC570, or FWM777, or, indeed, the FWM567. They're all pretty the same, except for the wattage (respectively about a 100-200-300). What annoys me at these hifi's is their quiet boorish & kitschy design; they'd draw up all the attention in my (simple) room . On the other hand Philips also has stuff like the MCM 250, MC-M350, and that new "Emotive" line (MZ1200/1100/1000); all quiet stylish, but lesser capabilities than the first hi-fi's. *sig* I'm a too demanding or is the world of hifi's inequitable?

Reply #10
is the expaninium decoding technology of philips one of the best maybey?? or are there better decoding technology aka iRiver ...

Concerning the sound quality, is Philips still using its Bitstream conversion technology ?

Reply #11
is the expaninium decoding technology of philips one of the best maybey?? or are there better decoding technology aka iRiver ...

Concerning the sound quality, is Philips still using its Bitstream conversion technology ?

heum, don't know

Reply #12
 Bought a Philips MCM570, something I could've done loooong time ago   

Anyway, it sounds G-Reat (certainly when compared with my old broken boombox). And it even looks quiet allright (the design turns out better than expected).

The only minus I discovered 'till now is the 'fake' 5cd drive since there seems to be only one lens in the machine (what means it takes a 7 secs for switching between cd's  )

I was a bit reserved concerning the USB-link, but in the meanwhile I turned into a complete 'pro' (although I did not switch tot musicmatch).

Question: does the USB-link passes over the soundcard of the computer? (What would be even more terrific, since that soundcard is a bit a bad card  )

Andeuh What's (bad or good) with the Expanium Technolgoy (maybe I should've asked this before I bought it )

And yet another one: as tha wOOx technology, the MCM570 has a MAXSound Technology ... according to my lazy ears, it mainly amplifies the sound in stead of 'mixing all channels optimally', but yet it can't be combined with the DSC (digital sound control, some pre-defined eualizer settings) or the VEC (virtual environment control, which actual functionallity I haven't properly figured out yet), so I suppose it does something 'more' than boosting the sound ... but What?

Greeetz
Arnoudt

Reply #13
hey, sorry for the late reply
Question: does the USB-link passes over the soundcard of the computer? (What would be even more terrific, since that soundcard is a bit a bad card  )

heum, dont know much about pc - soundcard usage when using wmp or winamp but i think yes (the music has to be encoded to wave), the digital wave format then is send to your radio where the cd - hardware ( i think) decode's the wave in to music, maybey i'm wrong but i think it's this way

And yet another one: as tha wOOx technology, the MCM570 has a MAXSound Technology ... according to my lazy ears, it mainly amplifies the sound in stead of 'mixing all channels optimally', but yet it can't be combined with the DSC (digital sound control, some pre-defined eualizer settings) or the VEC (virtual environment control, which actual functionallity I haven't properly figured out yet), so I suppose it does something 'more' than boosting the sound ... but What?

my opinion is: it's just a special name but more than playing with the equilazer settings doesn't do the MAXsound thech. you can't change the equilazer manually then because the music could sound strange, or to prevent max max max boost of the basses and this could be not so good for the speaker

sorry for the bad english

greetz koen, happy newyear 

Reply #14
Hi folks,
I am just thinking of buying the AZ2558. But since it's still not mentioned @ philips.com, I am still looking for a sheet with some technical details about the box. Especially the RMS-value seems to be interesting. Can you help me?

el volleyballa