Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Meridian Audio's new... sub-format called MQA. (Read 147199 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Meridian Audio's new... sub-format called MQA.

Reply #325
Eurgh, that Stereophile article makes me want to stick a fork up my nose. It's so calculatedly misleading - the farrago of citations, half-truths and innuendoes that characterises their 'papers' is even more in evidence here. It's rare to see so much in the way of mathematics, footnotes (and repetitions of the word 'neuroscience') and so little goddamn substance. It's a veritable work of art - it reads like it was written by their legal department.

Reply #326
So would you buy a used audio format from that guy, then?
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #328
BS explains how MQA finaly will fix digital audio of all labels. Everything ever sold in digital audio was simply done wrong.
MQA and Warner Stereophile link
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #330

Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #331
Is this like a Monsanto-model type thing? Making money from every earful of music, rather than every mouthful of food, consumed by everyone in the world?

Reply #332
Thanks to Wombat for the link.

Quote:
"If a recording is important enough, and all there is is a 78, that's where we start. . . We're really concerned about producing the definitive thing," not the thing with the highest bit depth or sampling rate."

So it's just DRM then. With the advantage that it's the "definitive" drm'd version.

Reply #333
There is no definitive thing in pretty everything ever released. If you follow remasters of the last 30 years the EQ choice alone from version to version makes me believe this authenticated thing is hogwash. The MQA man only pushes the knob once again with a more stylish EQ until MQA+ will use another one in some years.
Funnily it often believed these HiBit releases are "flat" transfers.

Reply #334
MQA cures 24 bit ADC "smearing" also.
Next, it will be used for gout.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #335
And the part before it:

Stuart indicates that MQA is not about high resolution in the usual sense; it's about authenticity. "As far as we're concerned, anything from a cylinder forward is legitimate as long as it's the definitive statement about a recording,

I would want this, if only for unmastered pre-compression-applied stuff from the last twenty-five-or-so years to be released in a better version. Not holding my breath though ...

Quote:
"If a recording is important enough, and all there is is a 78, that's where we start. . . We're really concerned about producing the definitive thing," not the thing with the highest bit depth or sampling rate."

So it's just DRM then. With the advantage that it's the "definitive" drm'd version.

Yeah, my placebo receptors already smell enough DRM for a significantly negative bias.

Reply #336
We were able to fingerprint and reverse-engineer the A/D out of the recording."
- BS

He's apparently saying they went back to the original digital recording and, using the original ADC as a guide,  'reverse engineered out' anything he deemed was distortion due to the ADC. 

IOW, a fancy version of noise modelling+denoising, which we know audiophiles just love, right?

Stereophile's craven sucking up to BS is pathetic even by its low standards.

Reply #337
Has anyone done an ABX test with an MQA release vs a FLAC?

Reply #338
No real abx i heard of. The MQA'd versions sound different to their older available versions. People say the new MQA version played over an MQA capable DAC and its captured output by a modern ADC are sounding indistinguishable.

Reply #339
why would somebody with Bob Stuart's legacy produce a fraud?

Reply #341
https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2013186561&recNum=132&docAn=GB2013051548&queryString=nano%20OR%20filter%20OR%20ceramic&maxRec=599628

Although it is necessary to have a decoder to achieve lossless reproduction of an original high-sample-rate signal, the signal provided to the legacy listener thus being described as 'lossy', the reduction to lossy is carried out in a manner that is described as 'benign' in audiophile circles
You can't get more scientifically valid than "being described as 'benign' in audiophile circles", now can you?

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #342
it is necessary to have a decoder to achieve lossless reproduction of an original high-sample-rate signal
Without further qualification, I'm being kind by only saying this is misleading at best.

Reply #343
I think this would be an appropriate first track to be encoded in MQA:

:-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLEhh_XpJ-0

Yeah, I know you can buy MQA encoded music now.  I just think the video is very appropriate for MQA.

Reply #345
He's apparently saying they went back to the original digital recording and, using the original ADC as a guide,  'reverse engineered out' anything he deemed was distortion due to the ADC. 

IOW, a fancy version of noise modelling+denoising, which we know audiophiles just love, right?
Correcting phase and amplitude errors in the frequency response of the ADC is a straightforward linear process, and if done correctly would make the result more objectively correct.

However, trying to correct for aliasing, noise, etc would be as you suggest.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #346
Correcting phase and amplitude errors in the frequency response of the ADC is a straightforward linear process, and if done correctly would make the result more objectively correct.
Maybe, but the mastering engineer already performs all corrections/adjustments to get the best possible result—if MQA changes it audibly, then it’s worse.

Reply #347
Highresaudio.com has decided to stop offering music encoded with MQA, as they consider it a lossy format ... ... ...
Alternative headline: Highresaudio.com not all bad!

... ... ... I have no idea who Peter Jasz is, but he seems extremely invested in MQA.
He seems extremely interested in you! :o

Reply #348
... ... ... I have no idea who Peter Jasz is, but he seems extremely invested in MQA.
He seems extremely interested in you! :o

If you read through his Disqus comment history, he's a very hotheaded audiophile true believer with very little social grace. He goes straight for the insults every time.

Reply #349
I just read the block close to that link and skimmed a bit more. I can easily believe it is typical. People that behave like that on the internet tend to... behave like that on the internet.