Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What Headphones Do You Use For Your Portable? (Read 31167 times) previous topic - next topic

What Headphones Do You Use For Your Portable?

I use the Sony behind the ear ones for $20, since they're the best for running and playing hockey in gym and all, they never fall off and for school in general, and a pair of Aiwas for when I'm sitting down, sometimes just walking, and stuff(these things rule).

I use the sonys way more, much so since my friends think I look like a @$$hole walking around with these huge headphones on my head , and I do, but they're comfy and they stay on when I wear them so that the top of them leans on my neck while on my ears so I don't care. The Sonys are good enough, I have a tolerance level with headphones. The freebies that came with this panasonic are pathetic and I would never use, the Sonys are great, and the Aiwas sound completely perfect.

Reply #1
I've been using the same pair of sony mdr-a34 's for years.  Ya they're buds, but they are the folding headset kinds, and they don't seem to be so tinny like so many buds out there. They've lasted through uhmmm... 3 mp3 players & two cd players before that.  Maybe they'll last through an mpc player or two?  *sigh*  My sennheiser (don't-know-the-model-number-it's->500-and-at-home) headphones don't seem to be the best choice for portability, the entire reason I bought an mp3 player...

Jeff

Reply #2
Buds I never really liked. I could never get 'em to stay inside my ears right. 

Reply #3
Sennheiser PX-200. Very, very good for portables.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #4
Sennheiser MX500. Less worse than another cheap headphones I tested.

Reply #5
Grado SR60's for casual listening around the house.  Sound great, but are a little tight on my head and make my ears hurt after about a hour of listening.  When in the gym, I use cheap Koss KSC55 wrap-arounds.  They sound pretty decent and work great while running on the treadmill.  I also have a pair of Koss Porta Pro's that are more comfortable than my Grado's, but sound almost as good.  For extended casual listening, I use the Porta Pro's.

Daffy

Reply #6
Koss KSC-35

Reply #7
Sennheiser PX 100. Simply great.

Reply #8
In-ear Sennheiser MX500.
Not so expensive. Good response in bass frequences (given their small size).
Better than others that cost and promise more.

Reply #9
Koss Porta-Pro's.

Reply #10
I just recieve my Koss KSC-50 last week and its sound pretty good + strong bass compare with my old iRiver headphone .for just 12 bucks.  .It's same stuff with Daffy's headphone except mine is hear clip.
still LAME 3.96.1 --preset extreme -q 0 -V 0 -m s at least until 2005.

Reply #11
Sony over the ear for working out - like the original poster. Hate earbuds.

Bose Triports for casual listening. way over-priced but awesome. got tired of waiting for the new less bulky Sennheisers last winter and find other high quality headphones too bulky for travel. the Bose are light and sound great.

Reply #12
Some GIGANTIC Senn. 280 Pro's. They are great for isolating yourself from outdoor noise and I can keep the overall volume of the music down.

Destron

Reply #13
Totally dependent on situation:

Strolling around town: PX-250 (with headphone amp)

Really active stuff: KSC-50 (which have survived an accidental run through the washer/dryer)

Just sitting around: HD 575 (got them a while back, biding time until I have enough to get 600s)

When disturbing others is a concern: Either HD-280 Pro or Ety-4P, depending on how long I want to be listening--I personally find the Etys aren't too comfortable for long periods. Then again, neither are HD-280s.

Travelling: PX-250s or Etys. I find that when my ears pop on a plane, it's no fun to have a really good seal with the Etys--hurts like hell.

Quality testing: Ety-4Ps until I get HD-600s

It seems that I'm starting to put together quite a headphone collection. I'm sure I won't stop there. Might get Grado-60s for portable use (with amp, of course) some day.

Reply #14
I use Sony D66 Eggos...awesome portable headphones!
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #15
I use a pair of Panasonic Clip-Ons which I have modified to fit into my work helmet's ear muffs while working, and I use the earbuds bundled with my latest portable (Some generic Panasonics) while not working or in some other low-noise environment.

The Clip-Ons may not have absolutely flat dynamics, but they sound okay, and the 30dB volume decrease in external noise from the ear muffs really helps in sound perception.

Reply #16
I'm making due with some Sennheiser MX-500s for now, till I can afford the Etymotic ER-4Ps. This is not to say they suck though - best earbuds money can buy. The money required however is modest: $29.99 Canadian.

Reply #17
Koss KTX-Pro... bass-heavy, but quite listenable.

It seems they're discontinued now, but I believe the Porta/Sporta's are about the same as far as SQ goes... just a bit more expensive.  I got my KTX's for $20.

Reply #18
I followed CiTay's first recommendation to get the PX100s and I like them very much.  The sound is great and their carrying case is one of the coolest things I  have seen in headphones.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #19
Koss KSC-55.  Pretty decent sound for cdn $25 wrap-around.  Too much bass, as was mentioned, but very sensitive which is nice for wimpy portable amps.

Two probs: not that comfortable for 1+ hours, maybe my head is just too big
also the backs of the drivers are open and dust tends to accumulate in them if you aren't careful; which manifests itself with a rattling sound during deep bass.  You can clean them of course, but it seems to happen too often for my liking.

Reply #20
Sennheiser MX400. Should be same as the MX500, just without inline volume control. Even cheaper, but quite decent. You don't really need more outside.

Reply #21
I use Sony D66 Eggos...awesome portable headphones!

Excellent choice.  The D66s are my favourite, but I do switch off with the PortaPros once in a while.  The Grado SR60s aren't too bad either, but since I received my Eggos last November, I'm afraid my SR60s have been somewhat neglected.

Some GIGANTIC Senn. 280 Pro's. They are great for isolating yourself from outdoor noise and I can keep the overall volume of the music down.

This kind of isolation could be somewhat dangerous out on the street.  I use my 280s indoors, mostly when I'm watching movies and don't want to disturb my neighbours (I live in an apartment).

Later.
"Did you just say he contacts you through a bird? Did I just hear you say that?" Sonny Valerio (Cliff Gorman). Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai.

Reply #22
JVC HA-B25

Plastic bass, no treble... (well compared to the HD590's anyway), but they have a comfortable ear clip, and the neck band folds up, so they can be stored in a REAL small space 

Reply #23
panasonic XBS RP-HT6 for only $10 (illegal traded) - for portable

Amphyton (made in the USSR '86; 3 dynamics - 50W nominal and 300W max) - for home

And you may forget about (small midfreq) 5:1

Reply #24
I'm glad with my Sony MDR-ED268LP. I use them when I take the bus or ride my bike. Otherwise (in train, longer travels) I use Sennheiser HD600.
I love the moderators.