Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Aluminum ~ The New Vinyl (Read 5306 times) previous topic - next topic

Aluminum ~ The New Vinyl

Burnett’s newly formed company, NeoFidelity Inc., will release a series of “Ionic Originals,” starting with the Dylan release, or releases, according to the announcement. Although the discs coming out in the format will somewhat resemble vinyl albums, they are not traditional LPs, but a whole new medium. A photo released Tuesday shows Burnett holding up a sample of the aluminum platters that the company will be using for its exclusive releases — described in the announcement as “newly developed discs that advance the art of recorded sound and mark the first breakthrough in analog sound reproduction in more than 70 years.”
Said Burnett in a press release, “An Ionic Original is the pinnacle of recorded sound. It is archival quality. It is future-proof. It is one of one. Not only is an Ionic Original the equivalent of a painting, it is a painting. It is lacquer painted onto an aluminum disc, with a spiral etched into it by music. This painting, however, has the additional quality of containing that music, which can be heard by putting a stylus into the spiral and spinning it.”
~ https://variety.com/2022/music/news/bob-dylan-records-classic-tracks-t-bone-burnett-new-audio-analog-medium-1235241159/
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Re: Aluminum ~ The New Vinyl

Reply #1
It's intended as an expensive gimmick, and it doesn't improve the sound.

Reply #3
"Burnett further notes. “Analog sound has more depth, more harmonic complexity, more resonance, better imaging. Analog has more feel, more character, more touch. Digital sound is frozen. Analog sound is alive.”

It's Alive! - Frankenstein 1931

Maybe that why tapes & LP's deteriorate with age :D

I have always been a fan of T Bone Burnett. I have 4 of his albums
But My God, this is just Bulls--t.

Reply #4
Seems pretty cool to me. Not everything needs to be about bits and sample rates - some things are less tangible.

Reply #5
If its anything like HD Vinyl you could be waiting a while.

Reply #6
A new 19th century format
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #7
The amusing thing is they're probably still using digital lathes for these formats.

Reply #8
Finally Edison's wax cylinder in a more convenient shape.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #9
Isn't it natural that any technology moves forward instead of going backwards?
But we see similar trend in many other areas, unfortunately...
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #10
But we see similar trend in many other areas, unfortunately...

I mean, yes - if you have no respect for culture or the arts.

Reply #11
wrote:

Is that a synthesizer in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?  :D

I'm all for LPs as merchandise. For painting by hand. Mechanical watches. Double basses with kitgut rather than steel strings.
Just don't pretend that these are more than ... you know.

Also I'm all for digital audio, giclée prints and having time at my hand on my mobile phone - and electric bass guitars with or without a grunty fuzz box. Synth bass? Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Reply #12
Said Burnett, “When describing the quality that raises analog sound above digital sound, the word ‘warmth’ is often used,” Burnett further notes. “Analog sound has more depth, more harmonic complexity, more resonance, better imaging. Analog has more feel, more character, more touch. Digital sound is frozen. Analog sound is alive.”

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug." - Rick James

Reply #13
Perhaps, yet here is a "new" 2ch format. In 2022.
We have a saying here, "Stuck on stupid".
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #14
"Burnett further notes. “Analog sound has more feels, more harmonic distortion, more desired resonance that were not in the original, better for figments of one's imagination.

Analog sound is undead.”
Corrected the quote to make it more accurate.

Reply #15
Hmm.

Aluminium corrodes. When the Aluminium "vinyl" isn't stored in very low humidity, the little grove will pack with Aluminium corrosion over time. Regular vinyls might get moldy, but the PVC/PVA mixture Vinyls are made of, doesn't corrode.
So it sounds to me, like the longevity aspect doesn't hold up at all.

If it was a Nickel surface, for instance, that'd make more sense, and it'd hold up in the sense of corrosion resistance, stability, heat resistance, static charge dissipation, etc. It seems quite strange to me they just used aluminium and tout it a "new format", it is rather perishable when it comes to the actual content carved into the platter.

The only benefit that comes to mind when using Aluminium substrates (as in pure substrates) is it's static charge dissipation. Aluminium is rather soft, so it won't hold "forever" when playing it too often, and as I discussed, it corrodes.
Another little benefit is the structural stability, it won't warp due to heat, but on the other hand it bends really easy, so it's a trade-off at best.

Sounds to me like a very weak attempt at audiophoolery, they've probably chosen Aluminium to be cheaper than a proper stable alloy, and/or coating, but try to be "special" enough to force some placebophiles to open their wallets.

Too bad, I thought they'd do their homework a bit better, so I'd have at least something interesting to look at...

Reply #18
Coating made from a gradient of sapphire and quartz.[…]
Aha.
Honestly, that kinda makes it sound kinda worse... I wonder if the Sapphire and Quarts gradient was deposited onto the platter by naked virgins under a blue moon...

Reply #21
Like the 70s video disk

"[...] using a layered disc that contained a thin layer of metal coating a vinyl disc, and covered in a lubricant to smooth out the stylus’ ride along the tiny grooves. The stylus, which was so small and fine that it eventually had to be made from slivers of diamond"

Reply #22
Sounds like the manufacturing process takes a long time.

Reply #23
Like the 70s video disk
[…]
"[...] using a layered disc that contained a thin layer of metal coating a vinyl disc, and covered in a lubricant to smooth out the stylus’ ride along the tiny grooves. The stylus, which was so small and fine that it eventually had to be made from slivers of diamond"
They all make it sound so mystical and sci-fi like. While the mechanics of a regular mechanical hard disk blow all that out of the water - and let's not even start about the rather fascinating structures of run-off-the-mill MEMS devices...

If you could make a regular mechanical hard drive into some sort of analog audio storage, it'd technically be one of the best and high quality analog formats available. I'm not sure it'd be feasible like that, but from a pure physics and electronics standpoint, it'd be probably the best analog format ever.