Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Album Art Viewer resizing quality (Read 1364 times) previous topic - next topic

Album Art Viewer resizing quality

Is there a way to increase the resizing/resampling quality of the integrated Album Art Viewer by configuration?
Or do I need to dive into some 3rd party component for that purpose?
If yes, which one?

Re: Album Art Viewer resizing quality

Reply #1
Attached you can find an illustration what I mean.
The top left is what it looks like.
The bottom right is the resizing quality I expected and see on many screenshots of more advanced foobar2000 users.

Reply #2
Are you using Wine (as per a previous post)?

That would be the most likely cause of any discrepancy. Your screenshot looks like Columns UI, which is using the highest quality algorithm GDI+ offers, which Wine doesn't seem to implement. You should get a better result with a native Gdiplus (but possibly other problems instead).

Reply #3
Yeah, Wine GDI+ doesn't support any form of resampling or antialiasing. For instance, all of the built-in visualizers will be rendered without any antialiasing on any of the lines or shapes, just on the text.

Installing the Windows XP version of gdiplus.dll with Winetricks will "fix" this, but it will run incredibly poorly, because it doesn't support any sort of acceleration of the rendering, not even using SIMD math functionality of the CPU. The visualizers will become impossibly slow, especially if you attempt to run them full screen.

Reply #4
Yes, I'm using Wine and copied the system32/gdiplus.dll from my Win10 installation inside the foobar2000 directory.
Shouldn't that be sufficient? Or do I need to run winetricks gdiplus?

I typicaly use the Default UI but installed Columns UI to see if that makes a difference.

Reply #5
If you run foobar2000 using Wine in a terminal, and see messages like fixme:gdiplus:resample_bitmap_pixel Unimplemented interpolation <number> then it's using the Wine version of Gdiplus.

You could create a new Wine prefix and run winetricks gdiplus in that to test what difference it makes.

Reply #6
You could create a new Wine prefix and run winetricks gdiplus in that to test what difference it makes.
winetricks gdiplus indeed did the trick and it's only slightly slower for album artwork than Wine's built-in GDI+ implementation that lacks resampling. Thanks for that.
Visualization performance isn't an issue for me, since I don't use any.

I tried forcing usage of a Win10 gdiplus.dll inside the foobar2000  folder via winecfg, which resulted in foobar2000 not starting.
The same happened when trying winetricks gdiplus_winxp.

Maybe my post helps someone in the future running into the same issue.

Reply #7
The Windows 10 version, much like any version newer than the Windows XP version, do not work under Wine. The Winetricks verb fetches the XP version and installs it for you.

Reply #8
With winetricks, gdiplus and gdiplus_winxp are 2 distinct options. The first extracts the file from Windows 7 SP1, the latter is a tiny download by comparison.

https://github.com/Winetricks/winetricks/blob/f7f702f270728dce780773445f0e189645f8a836/src/winetricks#L10266L10301

From recent threads, using Wine7 or later seems to be good enough without using winetricks but of course YMMV.