Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio CD backup, FLAC files, under Linux (Read 2716 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio CD backup, FLAC files, under Linux

I've been making backups of my CDs with cdrdao read-cd --read-raw, storing them as .bin and .toc. Then making FLAC files with abcde, finally tagging them with Picard (musicbrainz).

This is time consuming because I have to read it twice, and also it means I have to use about 1gb each album.

I like the idea of FLAC and .cue with EAC except my machine and all my storage is on Linux.

Has anyone come up with a reliable solution in Linux to rip CDs to FLAC files with a toc/cue for layout that I could use to recreate a physical CD?

Re: Audio CD backup, FLAC files, under Linux

Reply #1
Please look into installing fre:ac. It's the closest that Linux has to an integrated solution that actually works.

Reply #3
Probably the best open source ripper, other than XLD, and that's for macOS.

Reply #4
Please look into installing fre:ac. It's the closest that Linux has to an integrated solution that actually works.

I can indeed recommend Fre:ac. It has AccurateRip support, offset correction and Pre-emphasis detection amongst many other features and is actively developed. The UI is a bit of an acquired taste, but after getting used to it works fine.

Perhaps it is also good to mention that both EAC and CUETools works fine on Linux via Wine.

Reply #5
dBpoweramp too ... or, I have not checked in a decade.

Does Fre:ac support command-line?
If I were to rip my entire collection again, I would have considered CUETools for that reason. Could automate it easier.

Reply #6
Does Fre:ac support command-line?

Afaik no CLI for Fre:ac.

I also really like CUETools, but I have the assumption that gap detection was always handled much better by EAC. Is that still the case in 2022?

Reply #7
dBPoweramp under Wine? Really?

Reply #9
I mean, I guess that's okay, if you like paying for converter software.

Reply #10
Personally I would not obsess over every little detail (with stuff like EAC etc since, while it's good software, it's a bit overkill) as if you want to keep things simple enough you can do something to this effect...

1)Put AUDIO CD into drive
2)Copy audio data (WAV) from the CD to hard drive with basic file manager on Linux
3)Take(drag-and-drop) the WAV files (which should now be on hard drive) and put them into Foobar2000 (I suggest running Foobar2000 through say PlayOnLinux (currently I am using '6.13-staging' of Wine for my ImgBurn/Foobar2000 install on same install so it saves roughly 500MB-1GB of space) as it keeps it separated from the system installed Wine.)
4)Select all of your WAV file songs in Foobar2000 (which I am assuming is a standard album), right click, select 'Tagging', then 'get tags from freedb'.
5)Convert those WAV files to FLAC (through Foobar2000's 'Convert' (I am assuming you installed the 'Foobar2000 encoders pack')) for future use and then delete the WAV files.
6)Done ;)

or... use Imgburn (which is probably the best available burning software on Windows (which works on Linux through Wine etc)) as it creates .bin/.cue files of a AUDIO CD as I just played with that a moment ago. NOTE: I suggest getting the imgburn installer from majorgeeks website since it does not include the junk the installer on official imgburn site does and it's the same version of the program (i.e. imgburn v2.5.8.0).

p.s. if your going to use something like ImgBurn, which does .cue/.bin by default from playing with it quickly on a random AUDIO CD I just tested, I suggest installing it through PlayOnLinux and set it to use WinXP mode (seems this is required for ImgBurn to even start up on Linux) and then switch ImgBurn itself to SPTI in the options (i.e. Tools > Settings > I/O) (I also change 'SPTI - Device enumeration method' to 'device interface') otherwise Imgburn won't see your CD/DVD burners at all. I am using Linux Mint v20.3-Xfce.
For music I suggest (using Foobar2000)... MP3 (LAME) @ V5 (130kbps). NOTE: using on AGPTEK-U3 as of Mar 18th 2021. I use 'fatsort' (on Linux) so MP3's are listed in proper order on AGPTEK-U3.