Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Creating ALAC files using cuetools or from flacs? (Read 2352 times) previous topic - next topic

Creating ALAC files using cuetools or from flacs?

I have .wav rips of my cds and cue files. I use cuetools to split them into tracks and create flacs and mp3s for each track. I want to also create ALAC files to play via airport expresses. Any thoughts on what is the best way to do this?
-using cuetools from the wav files and the included encoder
-from the flac files, if so how in bulk?
-some other way?

Thanks

Re: Creating ALAC files using cuetools or from flacs?

Reply #1
Hello,
Using cuetools
For Cuetools, you are able to select m4a files with the attribute "lossless". This will use the alac encoder. This can be done for an input folder.
Code: [Select]
from the flac files
You can also set the flac files folder as input in cuetools and do the same what i wrote above. Although it doesnt seem like there is a good way to select multiple folders at once
Code: [Select]
-some other way?
I recommend foobar2000 with the free encoder pack for granular control over the batch processing. Change your library view to "view by folder" and insert the tracks you want to reencode to alac into a playlist, doesnt matter which codec the input file has.
Then righclick "convert", set DESTINATION to source folder, OUTPUT FORMAT to "apple lossless", PROCESSING to none.
Then you can convert. This will place the converted files next to the ones you selected.
This isnt necessary as cuetools will do the job just as well, but in case you need to convert A LOT of folders at once this is definitely recommended to save some headache in the future.

Reply #2
Using CUETools works the same way as for conversion to FLAC.  But if the FLAC library is maintained with tag updates etc., then you won't go wrong using fb2k with tag transfer (and copy other files, so you get external album art too).

In any case, you are probably better off with the normal compression setting (refalac has only two settings; the alternative, "fast", does no stereo decorrelation).

Although it doesnt seem like there is a good way to select multiple folders at once
CUETools can do that yes: if you don't have a selection / drag and drop window up already, then "CUE Paths" will be to the left in your window;
click the downward triangle next to "Input" and choose a file selector or drag and drop mode.

Reply #3
Thanks for the responses. Didn't notice them until now.
Will give it a try