Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Matroska support (Read 58158 times) previous topic - next topic

Matroska support

What happened to Matroska (MKA) support with the newest release? I've been suddenly rendered unable to play my music collection. Is there a fix for this at all? Thanks in advance.

Matroska support

Reply #1
You'll have to ask Toff if he's willing and has time to port foo_matroska to foobar2000 0.9.

Matroska support

Reply #2
I already asked Toff by PM, I hope he can release foo_matroska for fb2k 0.9 soon.

Matroska support

Reply #3
Yep i'm hoping too it's one of the only thing which make me keep my foobar 0.8.3
Sorry for the bad english, I'm french .

Matroska support

Reply #4
Unfortunately no answer so far :-(

Matroska support

Reply #6
yup.. give us matroska support.

Excuse me? Who is supposed to give you what and for what reason?

I won't move from 0.8.3 until it'll be on 0.9.

Hmh, tough luck for you I guess. That probably means you have to wait until the Matroska developers update their foobar2000 component to the 0.9 sdk. Maybe you should consider posting on their forums.

Anyway why it doesn't go with standard foobar installation (like many popular formats does)?

Because Matroska isn't quite as popular for use with audio only files as some people might want to believe. Furthermore afaik none of the Foobar2000 core developers have any particular interest in this format, which means it is not too likely to become part of the standard inputs.

Matroska support

Reply #7
http://tmp.reharmonize.net/foobar/
Please use this if you can never wait for official release. (this is unofficial port)
Because bug may be still left a lot, wait for official release if you want to use stable edition.
I cannot speak in English well, so it may not be answered a question and support very much. (an attached document is in Japanese)

"Album Art Panel featuring Matroska" is a little something extra.
e.g. "matroska:cover.jpg" (wildcard* does not yet work)

Matroska support

Reply #8
hey thank you man !
Sorry for the bad english, I'm french .

Matroska support

Reply #9

yup.. give us matroska support.

Excuse me? Who is supposed to give you what and for what reason?

Hmh, tough luck for you I guess. That probably means you have to wait until the Matroska developers update their foobar2000 component to the 0.9 sdk. Maybe you should consider posting on their forums.

Anyway why it doesn't go with standard foobar installation (like many popular formats does)?

Because Matroska isn't quite as popular for use with audio only files as some people might want to believe. Furthermore afaik none of the Foobar2000 core developers have any particular interest in this format, which means it is not too likely to become part of the standard inputs.

Sorry.. I didn't mean to sound this way. I really appreciate the work you're doing on best software music player on earth. Some day hopefully I'll add my brick to that.

I know matroska is not that popular but so far I found it as most convienient format that no other can match.
If someone's wondering why:
  • I can hold entire album in one file (whether I want to keep it in lossy or lossless format)
  • I can add whatever tags I need to it and have it in utf-8 encoding (cuesheet tags in flac are limited in this case)
  • In same file I can store any extras like cover images or videos which were on cd as well
There are surely some other benefits.. but for me it's neatness it's most pro. Of course there are lot of drawbacks as well (e.g. foobar2000 0.9 support ;-)

Ayana thanks for that post! I'm about to try it.

Matroska support

Reply #11
  • I can hold entire album in one file (whether I want to keep it in lossy or lossless format)
  • I can add whatever tags I need to it and have it in utf-8 encoding (cuesheet tags in flac are limited in this case)
  • In same file I can store any extras like cover images or videos which were on cd as well
There are surely some other benefits.. but for me it's neatness it's most pro. Of course there are lot of drawbacks as well (e.g. foobar2000 0.9 support ;-)

I use it also to embed cuesheets in mp3 files  not very handy but pretty useful since I hate having thousands of folders in my HDD...

Matroska support

Reply #12
http://tmp.reharmonize.net/foobar/
Please use this if you can never wait for official release. (this is unofficial port)
Because bug may be still left a lot, wait for official release if you want to use stable edition.
I cannot speak in English well, so it may not be answered a question and support very much. (an attached document is in Japanese)

"Album Art Panel featuring Matroska" is a little something extra.
e.g. "matroska:cover.jpg" (wildcard* does not yet work)

Hi,
thanks for publishing it. Unfortunately the plugin doesen't work with AC3. I have an MKV file with AC3 cmopressed sound. If I open (or drag&drop) it in fb2k a window will popup for a very short time a then nothing happens. MKV with MP3 sound works O.K. Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

Matroska support

Reply #13
[deleted]

Matroska support

Reply #14
TrNSZ> Thanks for the answer. So there will be no support for AC3 in MKA until the foo_ac3 gets updated. I remember there was a version with packet decoder for foobar2000 v0.8. I think it was a modification from somebody in Matroska team. Do you know anythink about it?

I asked Christian by e-mail about MKA in fb2k support, but unfortunately he said, that they're not interested in updating the components anymore and that the fb2k developers should do it (I agree with him). But it seems that the player's developers ore not interested neither 

So I'd like to thank to all 3rd party developers who care about updating the components needed for Matroska playback in foobar2000. We would be lost without them.

Matroska support

Reply #15
Just if someone is interested: Toff modified foo_ac3 for foobar2000 0.8 by kode54 and integrated a packet decoder. The modified sources are still online if somebody wants to port it to 0.9.

Matroska support

Reply #16

Sorry, we cannot care about a single, 3rd party player anylonger. No offense, but i can't remember the Xiph guys have ever contributed to Fb2k, why should we ?
Is our stuff of lower value ?

Maybe matroska is still not as popular for audio as other formats, but its definitely become a new standard in video. Now, believe it or not, FB2k is slowly but steadily becoming one of the preferred audio encoding tools in the video encoding scene. This is especially true, because it can (could) open audio streams in MKV files directly, and convert them into any other audio format.

It's sad that the Fb2k programmers are completely ignoring this new user group for their software, but of course also understandable. If their own interest is not in video, why should they invest work into their (free) software to accomodate such use.

Anyhow, we are more than glad that ayana has ported foo_matroska to 0.9 standard, and promise to support him in any possible way, should he need assistance in doing that. We also offer to upload his sourcecode to our SVN, and to help distributing the plugin from our download servers.

Christian
matroska project admin

Matroska support

Reply #17
ChristianHJW> Thanks for publishing your statement here. foobar2000 is really popular by video enthusiasts, like me :-) and so is Matroska. Another reason for fb2k's popularity was support for DTS, which has also dissapeared. 5.1 DTS to AC3 transcoding would be a really great feature for a lot of people.

If there's anybody with some free time and knowledge, can you please port the modified foo_ac3 for the 0.9 version?

Matroska support

Reply #18
[deleted]

Matroska support

Reply #19
TrNSZ> Of course I contacted the author of foo_ac3, but he hasn't answered yet.

According to libdts, you're right, that it is not a finished thing, but it works. The foo_dts is an unofficial plugin for version 0.8.3, but it does it's job O.K. According to patent issues - you can say the same about foo_ac3 and also for aac or even mp3. There are companies, which own patents on these formats. I think the whole patent system needs a major revision, because the times they are a changin'. Fortunately we have no SW patents in my country.

Matroska support

Reply #20
@ Ayana : your matroska plugin is now mentioned on the matroska news site. Please tell us immediately, should your server get an overload and you need assistance in hosting the plugin. We would gladly give you access to our file server, so that you can upload the latest version of the plugin there, and we can host it for you.

Matroska support

Reply #22
It might be a bit off- topic here, but I can understand that foobar is the first choice when it comes to transcoding. Even though I don't transcode from mkv to *, I transcode AC3 with the 5.1 to Stereo-DSP activated with foobar to Vorbis (which I mux with the video into a mkv container later).

Matroska support

Reply #24
It works great for me. Just one small complaint: I have an album in MKA file and I added to it global tags (in MKVToolnix 1.6.5). But when I import the file to fb2k, all I get is chapter tag for track name. I have no artist, album or genre. Also all tracknumbers are set to %d. I have to set up all the tags in fb2k and then it works fine. What is the correct way to tag a whole album in Matroska? Can somebody give me an example of the XML file?