Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I Love This Place! (Read 5682 times) previous topic - next topic

I Love This Place!

I recently began video encoding. As a complete newbie, I turned for help to the Doom9 forum. That place SUCKS!!! The have all these STUPID rules, nit-picky mods who have taken pettyness to a whole NEW level enforcing these lame rules.
They remind me of a bunch of frustrated elementary school hall monitors.

"You used caps in your subject!"
"You posted a vague subject!"
"What, you DARE to ask a question that has already been asked before?"
"Are you familiar with the concept of searching?"
"Do that again and you will be BANNED FOR LIFE!"

Ach tung baby!

What a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME that place is...

Anyway, I just wanted to say this. I have gained a WHOLE NEW APPRECIATION for the wide open structure of the HA forum and the TERRIFIC mods over here. No doubt about it - Dibrom is THE MAN and HA ROCKS!

BTW, Is there any chance of expanding HA to encompass video topics?

I Love This Place!

Reply #1

Hummm... everything is possible, you know?

But I think nothing is planned at the moment. Hell, most of AI (FAQs, tutorials, tech infos, downloads...) isn't near ready. :B

I Love This Place!

Reply #2
I recently began video encoding. As a complete newbie, I turned for help to the Doom9 forum. That place SUCKS!!! The have all these STUPID rules, nit-picky mods who have taken pettyness to a whole NEW level enforcing these lame rules.
They remind me of a bunch of frustrated elementary school hall monitors.

"You used caps in your subject!"
"You posted a vague subject!"
"What, you DARE to ask a question that has already been asked before?"
"Are you familiar with the concept of searching?"
"Do that again and you will be BANNED FOR LIFE!"

Ach tung baby!

What a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME that place is...

Anyway, I just wanted to say this. I have gained a WHOLE NEW APPRECIATION for the wide open structure of the HA forum and the TERRIFIC mods over here. No doubt about it - Dibrom is THE MAN and HA ROCKS!

I agree. The mods at Doom9 have set up such a hostile environment that I wonder if they've suffered childhood abuse or some other trauma.

Contrast that with this forum, where nitwits can say "Dibrom shut up I hate you nyah nyah!" and get away with it.

But if HA (or Audio Illumination) became the center of all things video, guess who would come crash the party? All those schoolkids who now post at Doom9. We'd need to construct a playpen for them, so serious discussion could still take place in other areas on the site

Edit: I just wanted to say that, while the Doom9 forums are hell, the rest of the site has good tutorials. Just by using those, and by experimentation, I've become very knowledgeable about DVD backups. If it's on a DVD, I can turn it into a top-notch DivX.

I Love This Place!

Reply #3
Don't worry, all message boards reduce in quality over time - this'll be just like doom9 soon enough .

I Love This Place!

Reply #4
Well, I think Doom9's issues are that video coding is the hot topic ATM. That draws too many newbies there, that keep reposting the same dumb questions ("How to convert DVDs to DivX?" "What are the best DivX switches?").

I.E: I don't agree with what they do, but I can understand why they behave that way.

I guess that, if HydrogenAudio existed 3 years ago, it would look a little like this:
http://www.vqf.com/bbs
Because VQF was THE audio forum when Audio Coding was the hot topic. Browse around there and look at the enormous SNR. (IST GOD and so on...)

I Love This Place!

Reply #5
Actually, when people ask oft-mentioned things on this forum ("Why shouldn't I use -m s?  Joint-stereo sucks!!") they are usually requested to use the search function in the future as well.

The mods over on Doom9's forum can be overbearing sometimes, but there is also a pool of developers there that you're not going to find anywhere else.

-h

I Love This Place!

Reply #6
Don't worry, all message boards reduce in quality over time - this'll be just like doom9 soon enough .

Can't wait! I'll pretend to be Koepi and bitch out anyone who dares to post in my forum without first presenting me a plate of cookies.

I Love This Place!

Reply #7
Can't wait! I'll pretend to be Koepi and bitch out anyone who dares to post in my forum without first presenting me with a plate of cookies.

LOL!!!!!!!!!! 

I Love This Place!

Reply #8
Actually, when people ask oft-mentioned things on this forum ("Why shouldn't I use -m s?  Joint-stereo sucks!!") they are usually requested to use the search function in the future as well.

The mods over on Doom9's forum can be overbearing sometimes, but there is also a pool of developers there that you're not going to find anywhere else.

-h

-h, you are right. There is a lot of serious discussion on Doom9 too which I should acknowledge, and I've always appreciated the tone and patience of your posts. And those of Teegedeck and Nic... hell, anyone but that Bender look-alike. I'm sorry, but reading his enraged replies to any inquisitive post ruins my opinion of the whole forum. I shouldn't overlook the good parts of Doom9's forum, though, as you point out.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](Yay, 200th post)[/span]

I Love This Place!

Reply #9
Perhaps they come down a little hard on the newbs over at doom9.org. But it is almost a sure thing that doom9.org is not a place for newbies to post Q&A. It is a good place for them to read up once they get the basics done. And a good place to get the basic tools. But I am not aware of any section over there that is newby friendly except for the general section. And that is the fact that the board is meant for serious discussion. You all know the anguish of how do I achive perfection on something purely subjective threads(OGG Vs. MP3, MP3 Vs. MPC, AAC Vs. APE). Or the A sucks B rules threads.

TYPING IN ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME CAN BE HARD TO READ AND NOT TO MENTION ANNOYING. ThEn YoU hAvE tHe GuYs WhO aLtErNaTe EvErY oThEr ChArAcHtEr. 7h3|\| 7h3r3 4r3 7h3 1337 h4x0r5. After reading posts like those all day how do you think you would react to one more?

And it is almost always rule number 1 on every forum to make liberal use of the search feature.

The rules are posted for everyone to see. There are threads on every forum that are sticky telling everyone to read and abide by the rules(Hell you have to scroll half a page at times to get past all the rules stickies to get to the new threads). Rules are generally important. And there are some places that require more rules than others. Try riding your bike through or shouting in the hallways of a hospital. You will get thrown out on your ass. But there are very good reasons for it. Likewise at doom9. You abide by the rules and follow forum ettiquete then it is all love and peace. You ignore the rules or persist in stupid things and it is out on your bum you go.

In the end if you chear for your favorite band at their concert then you will likely be ignored. Get up on a table at the library and start shouting for your favorite authors and well you know. Consider doom9 a nice orderly quiet library and things will be kosher. No one has been treated unjustly or unfairly. Tempers on some of my fellow mods over there can be short at times. But you have to admit that people do tend to go out of their way to ignore the rules.

I Love This Place!

Reply #10
Personally I don't blame Doom9 for the way that board is run since it is overrun by newbie idiots (not that all newnies are idiots, just the ones there). Although sometimes I do think that they act Naziesque. Anyways I personally think that the best way to deal with stupid posts is for the Moderator to delete the post and then PM the poster with a reference to a post that has already answered the FAQ.
Sorry, I have nothing witty to say here.

I Love This Place!

Reply #11
Neo Neko, i totally agree with all you said.

and SometimesWarrior..
I agree. The mods at Doom9 have set up such a hostile environment that I wonder if they've suffered childhood abuse or some other trauma.

Yeah...right....

Anyway,
I see NOTHING wrong with the doom9 forum. The same questions are being asked a million times and it's VERY annoying. And whoever gets annoyed, gets annoyed because to my opinion, SHOULD.
The newcomers should READ THE DAMN RULES!
Man, READ THE RULES.. how hard is it to
READ -THE- -RULES-?

So, if anyone gets angry answers that indicate intollerance (misspelled probably) is because it's for a damn good reason.

SEARCH. They tell you to SEARCH first. IN THE RULES. So SEARCH. Then, ask.

People have a right to be angry about those who do not care for anyone else but themselves and demend answers directly from the person to questions that have been asked and answered a million times, or even, ONCE is enough.

If you just ask a question, in a "by the way" way, no one will get mad at you, they'll just suggest to you to search or maybe answer because they feel like it.

This whole angest about Doom9 is stupid, this is my opinion. If you don't like my opinions, or even don't like me, that's ok by me.

I Love This Place!

Reply #12
If you don't like my opinions, or even don't like me, that's ok by me.

Good to hear. Then I'll just tell you that I don't exactly like your aggressive way of posting.

I Love This Place!

Reply #13
Thanks for telling me. I won't take that into consideration.

I Love This Place!

Reply #14
Ok, come on!
Kiss and make up you two. Yoiu can skip the make-up sex if you want to as long as you get along.

Ain't nothing wrong in telling newbies that there is a search button or FAQ. As long as it isn't told in a hostile or degrading tone.

I Love This Place!

Reply #15
You can not blame some people for using a hostile tone. I believe they have every reason to use it. And i believe almost no one likes to use a hostile tone, it's the newcomers' fault.

And, no thanks, i pass the sex part..
And man, you better delete that other comment, it may get that other person really annoyed! ..

I Love This Place!

Reply #16
Enough about DOOM9! As soon as I discovered The HA forums, I was struck by the moderators' broad-minded..ness (jeez...what a word!)

(Jon Ingram @ Oct 14 2002 - 05:37 PM)

Damned this guy is right!
The wheel has already started turning (look at the MP3 forum - no offense  )

I Love This Place!

Reply #17
I see NOTHING wrong with the doom9 forum. The same questions are being asked a million times and it's VERY annoying. And whoever gets annoyed, gets annoyed because to my opinion, SHOULD.
The newcomers should READ THE DAMN RULES!
Man, READ THE RULES.. how hard is it to
READ -THE- -RULES-?

Doom9's stupid rules are for FIVE YEAR OLDS. I have NO INTENTION of being treated like a five year old. Mods will chastize people for using an elipsis (...) in their subject.
"That's a violation of rule number nine, using multiple characters."
"'I'm going to tell my mommie on you!"

And if a newbie's "silly question" is too just much trouble to answer then guess what? You can IGNORE it. If a post has a vague subject, you can just IGNORE it.

Unless you're a prissy little bi-atch.

Fuck their lame rules and nazi mods...

I Love This Place!

Reply #18
You can not blame some people for using a hostile tone. I believe they have every reason to use it. And i believe almost no one likes to use a hostile tone, it's the newcomers' fault.

If the mods feel it necessary to use a hostile tone in response to newcomers’ "dumb" questions/statements than so-be-it. But I think that you, or any other regular members, should avoid this. What purpose does it serve?

I Love This Place!

Reply #19
Ok...I think enough has been said about doom9, both for and against. I'm gonna be evil and close this thread now.. 

Also I hope people would try to express their opinions as civilized way as possible.

Thanks.
Juha Laaksonheimo