Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar and foo_nero (Read 2943 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar and foo_nero

Some time in the not so distant future I'm going to get myself one of these. So the urge to do some updating has hit me and I thought a new library full of mp4's would be a good start. However, I have a few questions about using foobar and foo_nero before I go overboard with all of this stuff.

1) When using diskwriter & foo_nero for ripping/transcoding files I noticed that VBR isn't shown in the playlist like it is for mp3 and other files. This also occurs if I use EAC for ripping and foobar \ foo_nero for encoding the resultant WAV's. Also tried this with a few APE files and even they didn't show as being vbr. The two screenshots below are examples of what I'm trying to figure out. Check out the left hand side of each shot. NOTE: Nero encoder is set for vbr - normal.

Screenshot of VBR mp3 files

Screenshot of VBR mp4 files

2) I've been messing around with foobar for ripping the last few days and was wondering if it uses its own (ripping) engine or relies on something else (direct show?) for this? My preference would be to use EAC exclusively because I have C2 error correction enabled for my drive and it is blindingly fast when set up this way.

Any thoughts would be welcome on why-how to correct this.

foobar and foo_nero

Reply #1
foo_cdda is based upon akrip, a burst mode ripping engine, which doesn't implement any kind of error detection/correction.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

foobar and foo_nero

Reply #2
1) When using diskwriter & foo_nero for ripping/transcoding files I noticed that VBR isn't shown in the playlist like it is for mp3 and other files. This also occurs if I use EAC for ripping and foobar \ foo_nero for encoding the resultant WAV's. Also tried this with a few APE files and even they didn't show as being vbr. The two screenshots below are examples of what I'm trying to figure out. Check out the left hand side of each shot. NOTE: Nero encoder is set for vbr - normal.

Update your formating string to show VBR for more then just mp3.  Theres probably an if() somewhere that checks to see if a file is an mp3 before showing VBR (probably because all lossless files are VBR and most non-MP3 lossy formats are as well).

foobar and foo_nero

Reply #3
Update your formating string to show VBR for more then just mp3.  Theres probably an if() somewhere that checks to see if a file is an mp3 before showing VBR (probably because all lossless files are VBR and most non-MP3 lossy formats are as well).

It should show it for the APE files anyway. Still using upNorth's code and it is listed in the Playlist formatting:

Code: [Select]
$if($stricmp(%__codec%,Monkey''s Audio),$puts(t_codec,'APE')