Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: manual tagging (Read 1127 times) previous topic - next topic

manual tagging

hi,

i have some albums that i am unhappy with the current tagging.

i have manually tagged certain albums in foobar2000 (artist/album/track titletrack number etc.) so it looks like what i want.

the problem is, when i convert those tracks, foobar2000 spits them out tagged the same as the original files.

i came from using itunes for years, and that is how i used to sort stuff on there.

how can i do the same with foobar2000, if possible?

Re: manual tagging

Reply #1
Please explain.

First, you tag them in Foobar (cool)
Second,  you mention you convert them.
What do you mean convert them?  Are the tracks no in Foobar's Library when you tag them? 

Thanks in advance

Reply #2
i thought when i manually tagged the tracks in the foobar playlist, this would also change the associated audio files "visually" to what i had edited them in foobar to.

(e.g:-if i edited a track in the playlist to "01 21 gun salute", the associated audio file would "visually" change from "1 - twentyone gun salute" to "01 21 gun salute"?

how can i write that information to the audio files, i assumed i would have to manually tag a file, then convert it to show that new information?

apologies if you can't follow, i am slighty dyslexic, so i have to take a long time composing a reply to make sure i feel as though it will make sense to someone ;)

Reply #3
(e.g:-if i edited a track in the playlist to "01 21 gun salute", the associated audio file would "visually" change from "1 - twentyone gun salute" to "01 21 gun salute"?

That is not how tagging works. Tag will only make file visually change in foobar. But you can rename file by using info of tag.
For that you need to use File Operations / Rename to. Of course files need to be properly tagged.

In your example you should write in file name pattern  %tracknumber% - %title% (assuming 01 is tracknumber and 21 gun salute is title)
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #4
i came from using itunes, and that spits out all the tracks tagged and there is nan option to manually tag and have it spit out the tracks as you had tagged them.

oh well, i'll find a workaround ;)

Reply #5
^ I think you might be confusing tags and filenames? Or a matter of terminology, what do you mean by change files "visually"? Can you post a screenshot of what you are looking at?

Let me review the options in foobar2000 -

• - right-click tracks > Properties = change file-TAGS (metadata)

(changes the artist / album / track number / track titles, etc)

• - right-click tracks > File Operations > Rename = change file-NAME

(changes the name as seen in Windows Explorer - example: "1 - twentyone gun salute.FLAC" renamed to "01 - 21 gun salute.FLAC" - no need to "convert" files to do this)

• - right-click tracks > Convert = change file-TYPE (codec)

(convert from .FLAC to .MP3 or other formats)

So as Vicas wrote above, if you want to change the NAME to match the TAGS, go right-click tracks > File Operations > Rename and enter %tracknumber% %title% in the filename box.

EDIT: when converting tracks to another file-TYPE, there is an option to copy TAGS to the new file that you might need to enable (I cannot remember if this is on by default?) ... In the Converter Setup (see wiki page), click 'Other' and enable 'Transfer tags' option. Perhaps that was the problem?

Reply #6
Hi

From the Marantz CD 6006 manual I find:

"Playback order of MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV files
When there are multiple folders containing MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV files, the playback order of folders is automatically set when this unit reads the media. The files in each folder are played back in the order in which the files were recorded on the media, from the oldest date and time."

Reply #7
^ I think you might be confusing tags and filenames? Or a matter of terminology, what do you mean by change files "visually"? Can you post a screenshot of what you are looking at?

Let me review the options in foobar2000 -

• - right-click tracks > Properties = change file-TAGS (metadata)

(changes the artist / album / track number / track titles, etc)

• - right-click tracks > File Operations > Rename = change file-NAME

(changes the name as seen in Windows Explorer - example: "1 - twentyone gun salute.FLAC" renamed to "01 - 21 gun salute.FLAC" - no need to "convert" files to do this)

• - right-click tracks > Convert = change file-TYPE (codec)

(convert from .FLAC to .MP3 or other formats)

So as Vicas wrote above, if you want to change the NAME to match the TAGS, go right-click tracks > File Operations > Rename and enter %tracknumber% %title% in the filename box.

EDIT: when converting tracks to another file-TYPE, there is an option to copy TAGS to the new file that you might need to enable (I cannot remember if this is on by default?) ... In the Converter Setup (see wiki page), click 'Other' and enable 'Transfer tags' option. Perhaps that was the problem?

thank you so much for your response.
this clarifies the issues that i was having up to this point :)

Reply #8
Hi

From the Marantz CD 6006 manual I find:

"Playback order of MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV files
When there are multiple folders containing MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV files, the playback order of folders is automatically set when this unit reads the media. The files in each folder are played back in the order in which the files were recorded on the media, from the oldest date and time."

ah, that's interesting, but it doesn't explain the scrambled tagging.

Reply #9
thanks to everyone that chipped in to help/advize me with this problem.