Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how do is use the random function? (Read 2345 times) previous topic - next topic

how do is use the random function?

I have indexed a lot of music. However, when i click "random" in foobar2000, it always plays only one song. How can i make it, for example, select 200 random songs, and play them?

Re: how do is use the random function?

Reply #1
the component foo_random_pools is your new friend, probably

Reply #2
the component foo_random_pools is your new friend, probably

No, it´s not. Because having a look into it, it doesn´t tell me what to do. This module must be a joke, because it´s not even remotely self-explanatory. No hint, where to actually add music folders, or what to fill in in "Filter", oder Group", or "Sort".

Reply #3
By the way, i found the "help" file for this module. Lots of words, but no real explanation, how exactly to use the stuff.

Reply #4
Foobar2000 can play any playlist of any number of tracks up to your entire library randomly and not stop.

You might check: Preferences>Playback>Check to see if you have Stop playback after the current track ticked.

You likely do not need  foo_random_pools. It is an advanced track selection component It has it's own dedicated thread if you choose to use it..
I found the help file to be sufficient. YMMV

Reply #5
Thanks for the answer. No, i haven´t that box ticked. But it´s still not clear to me, how to feed a certain amount of songs $somewhere (drag them into the playlist field?) and to make foobar choose a random selection.

Reply #6
and to make foobar choose a random selection.
When yo added songs to playlist, use Edit->Sort->Randomize. Then play.

Reply #7
Foobar is a playlist based player.
You need a playlist element or a playlist tabbed element in your configuration to get much { any } value out of the player.
A pic of your layout would be helpful.
The toolbar easily holds a drop down box to select from play order, including random. Right click on the toolbar and add "playback order"
Again a pic would be helpful because this functionality is basic to Foobar2000.

Reply #8
Here is a screenshot, but it probably doesn't tell much:

http://i.imgur.com/LJLPFRj.png

Reply #9
Here are a couple screenshots of random_pools in my config:

In this specific instance, it always makes sure there are 10 tracks in "Pool Party" playlist. If a track is removed, another random one is added. When a track is skipped or finishes playing, it is removed. In the preferences window, each pool has its own formula and priority. When the playlist tries to fill itself, it essentially holds a lottery between all the non-zero pools. Pools with higher priority have a higher chance of being called on. When a pool is called on, foobar uses the formula defined in the "filter" section and selects a random track that fits that criteria.

If that sounds useful to you, you should be able to pretty easily set up a similar system for yourself in this way.
<3

Reply #10
When a track is skipped or finishes playing, it is removed.
It should be mentioned, that the removing is not done by foo_random_pools. I guess, for this you are probably using foo_playlist_attributes.

Reply #11
It should be mentioned, that the removing is not done by foo_random_pools. I guess, for this you are probably using foo_playlist_attributes.
Ah yes, that is correct.
<3

Reply #12
Got it working now, thanks!