Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Burning a DVD-Audio Disc (Read 36151 times) previous topic - next topic

Burning a DVD-Audio Disc

I want to burn DVD-Audio discs from my purchased high resolution 24-bit digital FLAC downloads.  I cannot find a program anywhere to do this.  I have tried using DVD audio tools at sourceforge (http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/) but it seems to be in a very bad state of disrepair.  I tried using the precompiled Windows binary with no success (crashes when I run it).  I tried compiling it myself on Linux but also had no success.  I can't find any commercially available program for sale that will do this for me.  I used discWelder Bronze trial version a few years ago to burn a few discs and that worked fine.  However, I do not have the installer for it anymore and the Minnetonka website (discWelder author) no longer has any mention of that product.  Is there anything out there that will allow me to burn this type of disc?

Burning a DVD-Audio Disc

Reply #2
I've never seen a commercial-consumer DVD-Audio authoring application.  I didn't know discWelder was "gone" but I never considered that a consumer application...

I'd say your best bet is to make a regular video DVD with either blank video or a slideshow.  The "video" can simply be a still image of text showing the title/artist/album, etc.    You can use PCM stereo (lossless), or Dolby if you want surround sound.

Or, upgrade to Blu-Ray.  I don't know of any BD-A authoring tools, but regular video Blu-Ray supports all kinds of audio formats, including lossless multi-channel high-resolution formats if that's what you are after.

And if you can find something to make BD-A, I think all Blue-Ray players can play it (unlike DVD-Audio).

Burning a DVD-Audio Disc

Reply #3
Samplitude Pro X can supposedly do it on Windows. I often use it for laying out CDs, but it can also do DVD-Audio. Not tried it myself, but may have to see if it works now!

http://pro.magix.com/en/samplitude/mastering.475.html

Interesting, but also priced a bit higher than I'm willing to spend to be able to do this.

Quote from: DVDdoug link=msg=0 date=
I've never seen a commercial-consumer DVD-Audio authoring application. I didn't know discWelder was "gone" but I never considered that a consumer application...

I'd say your best bet is to make a regular video DVD with either blank video or a slideshow. The "video" can simply be a still image of text showing the title/artist/album, etc. You can use PCM stereo (lossless), or Dolby if you want surround sound.

Or, upgrade to Blu-Ray. I don't know of any BD-A authoring tools, but regular video Blu-Ray supports all kinds of audio formats, including lossless multi-channel high-resolution formats if that's what you are after.

And if you can find something to make BD-A, I think all Blue-Ray players can play it (unlike DVD-Audio).

The Bronze version of discWelder was $99, I'm kicking myself for not picking it up when it was still available.  I am looking to play these discs primarily in my car which has a DVD-Audio player built in.  It doesn't play DVD video discs.  So, I guess I'm out of luck - I suppose DVD-Audio IS kind of a dead format ;-)  Thanks for the input, guys.

Burning a DVD-Audio Disc

Reply #4
Burn for OS X does exactly what you want to do for the low, low price of absolutely free. I've authored a ton of DVD-As with "hi-res" FLAC files. I wish I knew of a Windows equivalent but I unfortunately do not.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Burning a DVD-Audio Disc

Reply #5
I can imagine surround sound could be nice in the car, but 24-bits?!

Burning a DVD-Audio Disc

Reply #8
HD-Audio Solo Ultra
Code: [Select]
http://www.cirlinca.com/products.htm

EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Burning a DVD-Audio Disc

Reply #10
HD-Audio Solo Ultra
I see DVD Video on that web page...

This does the trick also I believe: http://sourceforge.net/projects/audioplex/files/lplex/0.3/
That also makes "audio only" DVDs with the regular DVD-Video file structure for playback on a regular (video) DVD player.

Regular video DVDs have VOB files in the VIDEO-TS folder.

DVD-Audio has VOA files in the AUDIO_TS folder.

There are "universal discs" that have both formats.  That way you can play the disc on a regular DVD player, or if you have a DVD-Audio player you can play the high resolution files.

Both formats support uncompressed PCM, but there are DVD-Video formats that DVD-Audio doesn't support and vice-versa, and the file containers are different and, the menu structure is different.

Burning a DVD-Audio Disc

Reply #11
HD-Audio Solo Ultra
I see DVD Video on that web page...

Hmm... maybe you see that but, what is written there ? 

I used discWelder Bronze trial version a few years ago to burn a few discs and that worked fine.  However, I do not have the installer for it anymore and the Minnetonka website (discWelder author) no longer has any mention of that product.

Try Google to find the trial version. Here's one link.

Burning a DVD-Audio Disc

Reply #12
Burn for OS X does exactly what you want to do for the low, low price of absolutely free. I've authored a ton of DVD-As with "hi-res" FLAC files. I wish I knew of a Windows equivalent but I unfortunately do not.

Thank you!!  This worked perfectly and best of all it was free!

Burning a DVD-Audio Disc

Reply #13

You're welcome. I actually thought my comment would be kind of useless as I just assumed you probably didn't have access to a Macintosh computer. ...but yeah: free and does everything you need it to do with a great UI.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Burning a DVD-Audio Disc

Reply #14
DVD-A is a mostly dead format, which is why you're having trouble finding tools to work with it. I would look at putting it on a Blu-ray disc or using a computer-based playback system instead.

Re: Burning a DVD-Audio Disc

Reply #15
I've got a number of systems, including a couple of vehicle, that support DVD-A.  I'm very interested in burning discs with higher resolution files and multichannel.  I have yet to get Burn to work for me.  Not sure if it is the media I am using or Burn compatibility with either my Pioneer BD drive or the Archgon BD drive.  Can anyone share what the use specifically to help me get on track?

Reply #16
Wow..just happened upon this forum and interested in quick DVD-Audio burning prog. Saw Burn for OSX mentioned.

Now Im running Windows 10 but have got a virtual version running unofficially of Snow Leopard on VMWARE Workstation, so connected up my CD/DVD/BR burners through VMware settings, and loaded the files into Burn, I wasnt expecting this to work as the virtual OSX is a bit flaky but hey presto within a few minutes it had completed, popped it in my DVD-Audio player and it worked fine..I am truly amazed !

Reply #17
  Yes.  I've done it in the past and it does a good job of making a DVD-Audio disc.  I haven't used it in a while however and I'm wondering what format (.ie. 24/96 or what) does BURN require?

Reply #18
Yes.  I've done it in the past and it does a good job of making a DVD-Audio disc.  I haven't used it in a while however and I'm wondering what format (.ie. 24/96 or what) does BURN require?
I don't know anything about Burn but Wikipedia has a DVD Audio page about the formats supported by DVD-audio.  

DVD-Audio needs to be LPCM or MLP, with 1-6 channels , 16-24 bits, and 44.1kHz to 192kHz.      WAV files are LPCM,  so as long as Burn creates the proper file structure in the AUDIO_TS folder, etc., you should be able to feed-in WAV files.

Reply #20
Do these tools encode in MLP, or are they using LPCM?

Reply #21
I've always used lplex; works well:

http://audioplex.sourceforge.net/
That's not DVD-Audio.   It's an "audio-only" DVD...   A regular DVD with no video.  (Better for me since I don't have a DVD-Audio player, and I only have human hearing so I can't appreciate the higher resolution anyway...)

Reply #23
That's not DVD-Audio.   It's an "audio-only" DVD...   A regular DVD with no video.
You're right, sorry.  You can write 24-bit at either 48kHz or 96kHz on DVD. Any DVD player can play it.

Reply #24

You're welcome. I actually thought my comment would be kind of useless as I just assumed you probably didn't have access to a Macintosh computer. ...but yeah: free and does everything you need it to do with a great UI.

Using Burn Version 2.5.1 (24) for OSX I am not able to successfully create a DVD-Audio Disc from 5.1 FLAC files. I receive this error:

[MSG]  Size of raw PCM data: 0 bytes (0.00  MB)
[ERR]  Sample unit size is null
No such file or directory
      ::886, audio.c

I am able to create discs from 5.1 PCM files and Stereo FLAC files but as soon as I add a 5.1 FLAC to the mix, I get the [ERR]  Sample unit size is null error. The 5.1 FLAC files are 24 bit, 96khz files.  I am running  OS X 10.9.5 (13F1134).

Any ideas?

Kind Regards