Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: BatchEncoder (Audio Conversion GUI) (Read 42426 times) previous topic - next topic

Introducing theFrontend (Audio Conversion GUI)

Reply #25
i have only one problem with this right now: it's win-only

i have only one problem with this right now: it's win-only

I second this one. On Linux it's a serious problem getting any transcoding properly running with external encoders, especially in the cases of non-free formats. For me it's Nero AAC which causes serious issues, because practically any Linux transcoder only flawlessly works with FAAC instead. Support for Nero AAC has to be scripted externally in all applications I'm aware of, causing further problems concerning the tags' retention.

Sorry no plans for linux/unix/macosx version (well you can ask microsoft if he will support this platforms in visual c++ )

Only way here is to use wine+theFrontend

wisodev, very nice program! Works well, quick, and easy to use. I would like to suggest that you consider the ability to convert from FLAC images+cue to mp3 separate tracks in your development.

Can you recommend any command line tool that can do this?

Reply #26

wisodev, just a word regarding the form layout... It seems to me that you may have the "preset" and "encoder" lists in reverse order.  Were it me, considering standards, I would place the greater dominant factor to the left and the lesser dominant factor to the right.

Anyhow, it's just a suggestion.  Best of luck to you.

Is the placement of preset and format lists an usability problem or only a formal problem. I am pretty much used to this layout and so I do not find it confusing or unusable. It is trivial to change this anyway.

Thanks for feedback and I will think more about it

wisodev -- have been using theFrontend for 6 months or so - very nice program IMO (and recommended) - however, though I'm used to it now -  I agree with dizzko about the dropdown order and it still occasionally catches me out -- I'll click on the preset dropdown when going to select the codec (format). It's not a huge deal but placing "the greater dominant factor to the left and the lesser dominant factor to the right" makes sense to me from a usability point of view --e.g. I want an MP3 (first) at x bitrate (second).

Good to see development continues!
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #27

wisodev, just a word regarding the form layout... It seems to me that you may have the "preset" and "encoder" lists in reverse order.  Were it me, considering standards, I would place the greater dominant factor to the left and the lesser dominant factor to the right.

Anyhow, it's just a suggestion.  Best of luck to you.

Is the placement of preset and format lists an usability problem or only a formal problem. I am pretty much used to this layout and so I do not find it confusing or unusable. It is trivial to change this anyway.

Thanks for feedback and I will think more about it

wisodev -- have been using theFrontend for 6 months or so - very nice program IMO (and recommended) - however, though I'm used to it now -  I agree with dizzko about the dropdown order and it still occasionally catches me out -- I'll click on the preset dropdown when going to select the codec (format). It's not a huge deal but placing "the greater dominant factor to the left and the lesser dominant factor to the right" makes sense to me from a usability point of view --e.g. I want an MP3 (first) at x bitrate (second).

Good to see development continues!

I've already changed the dropdown order and committed changes to SVN

Reply #28
theFrontend (Audio Conversion GUI) version 0.0.0.3 is available for download.

Changes in 0.0.0.3 (2008-03-16):
- Added AC3 (ATSC A/52) format support using Aften command-line encoder (decoding of AC3 files does not work).
- Added TAK (Tom's Lossless Audio Kompressor) format support (decoding of TAK files does not work).

http://www.thefrontend.net/

Project at sourceforge.net:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/thefrontend/

Reply #29
not trying to be rude, but i use this similar program already:

http://members.home.nl/w.speek/multi.htm
(multi frontend)

just thought people interested in your program might be interested in this too, or that you might like to see what other "competition" there is.

Reply #30
not trying to be rude, but i use this similar program already:

http://members.home.nl/w.speek/multi.htm
(multi frontend)

just thought people interested in your program might be interested in this too, or that you might like to see what other "competition" there is.

Yep competition is always good

PS. Quote from: http://members.home.nl/w.speek/index.htm
Note: these programs are no longer maintained, because I've switched to GNU/Linux.

Re: Introducing BatchEncoder (Audio Conversion GUI) (formerly known as theFrontend)

Reply #32
Could you please add the DSF and DFF extensions as input? I've just tested compressing some files with these extensins and the latest wavpack 5.1 and it works great as loing as I previously rename the files to a valid input extension like .wav but it will be far more conveninent if it could be done without that step.

Great app BTW, thanks!

Re: Introducing BatchEncoder (Audio Conversion GUI) (formerly known as theFrontend)

Reply #33
Could you please add the DSF and DFF extensions as input? I've just tested compressing some files with these extensins and the latest wavpack 5.1 and it works great as loing as I previously rename the files to a valid input extension like .wav but it will be far more conveninent if it could be done without that step.

Great app BTW, thanks!

To add DSF and DFF extensions as input I need existing command-line tool with support of decoding those files to WAV file.

Reply #34

Great app BTW, thanks!

Looks like wavpack as of version 5.0 does support .dsf and .dff input files. I will add support for this extensions, but only for wavpack output.

Reply #35
Looks like wavpack as of version 5.0 does support .dsf and .dff input files. I will add support for this extensions, but only for wavpack output.
Thanks! much appreciated

Reply #36
Thanks! much appreciated

The latest CI server builds of  BatchEncoder have DSF and DFF extensions support.

Reply #37
Thanks again, it now works great.

Reply #38
Probably me not knowing what I am doing, but I simply can not get anything apart Error from ape to flac attempted conversion.
Not even log gets created
Latest x64 CI on W10 x64

I add .ape select flac as destination, chose destination folder for conversion, chose console.log location, click convert,. Error. Nothing else

sebus

Reply #39
Probably me not knowing what I am doing, but I simply can not get anything apart Error from ape to flac attempted conversion.
Not even log gets created
Latest x64 CI on W10 x64

I add .ape select flac as destination, chose destination folder for conversion, chose console.log location, click convert,. Error. Nothing else

sebus

Beofore using BatchEncoder you have to configure command-line tool path for format. To do this you go to Options menu and use Configure formats... dialog window.

Download links for command-line tools: https://github.com/wieslawsoltes/BatchEncoder/wiki/Tools or you can try using included download.ps1 script.

Quick video demonstrating how-to use Configure formats... dialog window: https://youtu.be/6VCvEv0P_c0

By default BatchEncoder is configured to search for command-line executable in BatchEncoder.exe directory or directory relative to.

The console.log is used for logging command-line tool output only not program log.

Reply #40
I have all tools downloaded (in that case mac & flac executables) in same folder as encoder exe

sebus

Reply #41
I have all tools downloaded (in that case mac & flac executables) in same folder as encoder exe

sebus

Sorry to hear that, I tested and its and issue with BatchEncoder, I didn't finish testing all the decoders. Will investigate and post update here.

Reply #42
Thanks!

Reply #44
Spot on! Thanks

Reply #46
Hi
First , thank you so much for the beautiful program!

do you have a plan to include trim silence at the beginning and the end of the track?

and release a full portable stealth , no file left or registry keys left?

thanks you so much :)

Reply #47
do you have a plan to include trim silence at the beginning and the end of the track?

BatchEncoder is a front-end for command-line tools, if encoder supports this via command line switch than you can configure format by adding additional command-line option, otherwise I think that's not possible (at least with current version, you can not chain more command line tools together, maybe I will add this in future).

and release a full portable stealth , no file left or registry keys left?

There is already available portable version for download at BatchEncoder website https://github.com/wieslawsoltes/BatchEncoder#release-builds use Portable type. It does not touch registry or any system files.

Reply #48
Thank you very much for this wonderful program, @wisodev ! May I ask when the 1.0 builds will be made available for download?

Reply #49
Thank you very much for this wonderful program, @wisodev ! May I ask when the 1.0 builds will be made available for download?

I have few things to finish in my ToDo list https://github.com/wieslawsoltes/BatchEncoder/wiki/ToDo before v1.0, but CI build version (which is available for download) is pretty close to v1.0.