Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Request : Read Wav INFO Riff (Read 4750 times) previous topic - next topic

Request : Read Wav INFO Riff

Hello !

I am a music composer and i use a lot of samples that can't be converted to lossless format. Why ? Because synthesizer or Sampler need wav format and they can't read lossless format (flac, wavpack, ...).

So i have to organize my sample collection with the RIFF Info that is in wav standard specs.
An exemple of wave header : getID3() PHP

In the RIFF Info Chunk there is a lost of information that could be integrated in the foobar2000 data base :
  • 'IART' : Artist
  • 'ICMT' : Comment
  • 'IGNR' : Genre
  • 'INAM' : Title
  • 'DTIM' : DateTimeOriginal

With Winamp you could read this type of chunk (but i hate Winamp). So why the foobar2000 wav input could'nt read this type of tags.

There is solutions for change this problem :
  • Search by the name of the wav (artist=john smith.title=hello world.genre=country.wav). But it is too long.
  • Use Winamp (but this is not a good decision!)
  • Foobar2000 dev team developp this parse feature (i'm not a developper)

Any solution ! (but please don't answer me by : "convert to lossless format it's impossible, ok"!)

Reply #2
WAV metadata is no longer supported. It was supported during the v0.8.x series, but support was dropped for v0.9. I miss it too.

Reply #3
WAV metadata is no longer supported. It was supported during the v0.8.x series, but support was dropped for v0.9. I miss it too.

and why ? metadata is part of the wav spec.

Reply #4
No it is not. Read those documents you linked more carefully.

Reply #5
It's TRUE, sorry.

But is there a solution to organize wav file (without rename the filename) in foobar2000 ?

Reply #6
You need to work on your reading comprehension. WAV tagging is part of the Exif spec (authored in 1998), not the RIFF WAV spec (authored in 1991).

Reply #7
I completely agree with you, there is no problem. You are wright and the spec say that metadata is not part of the wav standard.

My question is : Is there a way to organize the wav file as the other files (such as mp3, flac, ...) ?

I have to change the title of the post by How to organize the wav files in Foobar2000.

Reply #8
You can perform title formatting on %filename% to deal with WAV files.

Reply #9
I've thought about that, but some sample library (like kontakt or sfz) have links to wav files which can be renamed (I have at least 2 to 3 gigabytes of sample).

Often files have names like this :

• 0004 2-Audio.WAV
  • ARP3Cx4 +24.wav
  • CymRide.wav
  • 086CIRYES2.wav

Some sample library can be converted into wavpack (this format keeps the information of loop points) but the other must necessarily remain in wav with a simple naming convention (linked to bank library).

I think about a solution : This will read a text file that contains the "metadata" about the wav files. This text file with the same name as the wav file. But I do not know how to do that.

Reply #10
I have found a pseudo solution that is simple : the cue sheet file

I have tested it on one file and i could have tag like :
  • Title
  • Artist
  • Date
  • and a lot of ...

It work fine for the database of foobar2000 and i don't touch the integrity of my wav file. I just have to make a script for doing this.

Then I'll test this solution for some time and I give you my conclusion in this post.

Reply #11
The only software I know of that is currently giving support for wav tagging is dBpoweramp. Not even Windows Media Player reads WAV' metadata. Possibly due to some technical limitations of the tagging system in WAV files, metadata in WAV is poorly supported.

Some sampling companies like Toontrack and Digidesign's AIR are approaching lossless compression now; they discovered that lossless compression saves a lot of memory, yet preserving the integrity of the sounds. The problem, however, is that instead adopting a flexible format like FLAC, they are going proprietary.

One day I was interested on EZDrummer. A friend of mine sent me the DVD, because he knew I was using another type of sampler, and since EZDrummer's samples are not locked into a DAT or DLL file, (they were WAV files) I could pick up the sounds and load to my sampler, then I'd be able to program my own drum patches. Later I discovered, that the sounds wouldn't play on Windows. Months later I found on the internet, that the sounds don't use PCM encoding, but a Toontrack's lossless compression scheme. After that, I lost my faith on these companies. I still use Akai like samples and yet I can sleep peacefully, but we can go further on this if you get interested and write me in private.

Good luck.

Peace,

Edu Camargo.