Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3player please! (Read 5609 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3player please!

foobar coolplayer or delphiplayer
regards
J.

mp3player please!

Reply #1
Foobar at this point is rock stable. Deliplayer on the other hand is riddled with bugs. I have not tested coolplayer recently but it was an alright player back in the day. I reccomend foobar.
r3mix zealot.

mp3player please!

Reply #2
I would also recommend FB2K. Small, stable, simple, great playback quality, what else would you need?
Hard work might not kill you, but why take any chances?

mp3player please!

Reply #3
foobar doesn't even include a basic shuffle mode (it won't remove files once played from the shuffle queue), so imo it is not useable.  it uses virtually the same cpu and memory as winamp 2.81 on my system (sometimes more memory), so I really see no reason whatsoever to use it other than the 32-bit pipeline placebo factor, and that its 'new'.

last time i tried deliplayer the interface was absolute garbage.  I've never tried coolplayer.

mp3player please!

Reply #4
i like foobar but the GUI (well, there is no GUI) isn't very good, which makes it not useable for me. basic features like seekbar are missing. but the playback quality is great.

mp3player please!

Reply #5
I've never seen a remove from cue shuffle.
r3mix zealot.

mp3player please!

Reply #6
not remove from the playlist queue, remove from the shuffle queue.  ie. it won't repeat songs in shuffle mode.  try winamp 2.81, shuffle doesn't repeat songs.

mp3player please!

Reply #7
I still have winamp 2.81 on my drive I'll cue up 10 songs take repeat off and report back in a bit.
r3mix zealot.

mp3player please!

Reply #8
, so I really see no reason whatsoever to use it other than the 32-bit pipeline placebo factor, and that its 'new'.

- native support for many more formats out-of-the-box than winamp
- native and unified full-featured replaygain support (both scanning and setting gain values, and playback ability for many formats)
- ape2 tag support heavily emphasized
- tagz
- native and unified resampling/dither/24-bit output/kernel streaming output
- native high quality EQ
- mass tagger (upcoming version)
- album list (upcoming version)
- more robust playlist than winamp (offers more sorting and manipulation functionality, at least as far as what I can remember of winamp )
- better audio processing pipeline, including better handling of clipping, better dsp system, better volume control system, etc.

These are just a few things I could think of off the top of my head.  There's a lot more to foobar being better than winamp other than it just being "new".  Unlike most of the other players that get touted because of their "coolness" factor (/me thinks of coolplayer and deliplayer as being too examples in this thread), foobar2000 offers actual unique and excellent functionality in addition to just being damn cool :B

Oh.. and the 32-bit audio processing pipeline isn't there simply because it's "neat", it's actually a non-braindead way to design an audio player like this for once when you take into account all of the different things like dsp, volume control, etc.

mp3player please!

Reply #9
i like foobar but the GUI (well, there is no GUI)

Since when did the definition of GUI become limited to bloated eye candy and l33t skinning functionality?

Foobar2000 has menus, windows, scollbars, buttons (if you choose to enable them), etc.  Seems a bit like a gui to me.....

mp3player please!

Reply #10
The buttons are hard to read... I personally like how foobar is setup. Global hotkeys. I could almost take over the world using foobar and global hotkeys...
r3mix zealot.

mp3player please!

Reply #11
, so I really see no reason whatsoever to use it other than the 32-bit pipeline placebo factor, and that its 'new'.

- native support for many more formats out-of-the-box than winamp
- native and unified full-featured replaygain support (both scanning and setting gain values, and playback ability for many formats)
- ape2 tag support heavily emphasized
- tagz
- native and unified resampling/dither/24-bit output/kernel streaming output
- native high quality EQ
- mass tagger (upcoming version)
- album list (upcoming version)
- more robust playlist than winamp (offers more sorting and manipulation functionality, at least as far as what I can remember of winamp )
- better audio processing pipeline, including better handling of clipping, better dsp system, better volume control system, etc.

These are just a few things I could think of off the top of my head.  There's a lot more to foobar being better than winamp other than it just being "new".  Unlike most of the other players that get touted because of their "coolness" factor (/me thinks of coolplayer and deliplayer as being too examples in this thread), foobar2000 offers actual unique and excellent functionality in addition to just being damn cool :B

Oh.. and the 32-bit audio processing pipeline isn't there simply because it's "neat", it's actually a non-braindead way to design an audio player like this for once when you take into account all of the different things like dsp, volume control, etc.

quality wise, without dsps involved, there is no evidence of difference in sound quality between foobar and winamp.  Also besides the 6db hardlimiter (which could degrade sound quality), I don't see how clipping is handled any better (I tested heavily clipped songs and they sounded very similar on winamp and foobar).  People are making wild claims (check the foobar forum) about radically better quality with 32-bit; even peter has referred to these claims are placebo-generated.

Many of the features you document are nice, but are duplicated by winamp with the appropriate plugins.  I'd agree that 'out of the box' foobar is superior, obviously.  Not many of us here on HA use 'out of the box' winamp, though I'd imagine 

I'm intrigued by what you mean by 'album list' in an upcoming fb2k version.  any links or more info about this?

mp3player please!

Reply #12
quality wise, without dsps involved, there is no evidence of difference in sound quality between foobar and winamp.  Also besides the 6db hardlimiter (which could degrade sound quality), I don't see how clipping is handled any better (I tested heavily clipped songs and they sounded very similar on winamp and foobar).  People are making wild claims (check the foobar forum) about radically better quality with 32-bit; even peter has referred to these claims are placebo-generated.

... And if you'll notice, I didn't push the "foobar2000 has been sound quality" bit.

The clipping issue (especially the hard limiter bit) has already been discussed in many places on this board, and so there's no need to rehash that.. a simple search will turn up many results.

I don't quite see where you get the "people are making wild claims" bit and correlate that to my post.  I agree that on it's face, a simple 1 to 1 comparison with winamp will yield probably no difference for most purposes (not counting DSP stuff), but that doesn't stop the fact that foobar2000 does things more intelligently and handles audio processing in a superior manner across the board.  Whether or not that translates to drastically improved sound quality on the average is not exactly the point I was trying to make.

As I said before, the 32 bit processing pipeline that foobar2000 is not there as a "gimmick" -- it's there because it makes sense from a high quality, multi-format, audio player/processor design standpoint.

Many of the features you document are nice, but are duplicated by winamp with the appropriate plugins.   I'd agree that 'out of the box' foobar is superior, obviously.  Not many of us here on HA use 'out of the box' winamp, though I'd imagine  :)

Aside from the fact that many of those features can never be properly implemented into Winamp 2.xx to a comparable degree, the downside to having to use all kinds of different plugins with winamp is that they all use a different interface, they all are coded in a non-coherent manner (considering them all as a whole), they are of varying quality (some of them are very hackish or broken), they do not always support similar features at all, etc.

A player that can integrate all of this stuff into it's core design will always end up offering a superior end product... and that's exactly what foobar2000 does.  It's the audio player that was designed correctly from the start.  I'll personally be surprised if I ever have to come to rely on "plugins" for foobar2000 the way it's almost a necessity with something like Winamp.

I'm intrigued by what you mean by 'album list' in an upcoming fb2k version.  any links or more info about this?

No.

mp3player please!

Reply #13
Also, if you use ID3v2 tags, Foobar only supports ID3v1 or APE2.0 tags for MP3z...last time I tried it, anyway. And before anyone comments, yes, I've already read all the threads on why "ID3v2 IS EVIL!"

Rob

Listening to: 'My Friend' from 'Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub)' by 'Groove Armada' on Media Center

mp3player please!

Reply #14
These are just a few things I could think of off the top of my head.

let me add one more (for the devs): the API!  (w00t)

:B
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

mp3player please!

Reply #15
I like foobar a lot. The EQ is FAR superior to WinAmp's. The hotkeys are a nice feature too.

mp3player please!

Reply #16
yeah the shuffle works right in winamp.
r3mix zealot.

mp3player please!

Reply #17
winamps eq sucks, but purists don't need equalizers. btw. I use winamp 2.81 and i'll never change, except foobar gets a gui...
I love the moderators.

mp3player please!

Reply #18
winamps eq sucks, but purists don't need equalizers.

And how's that?

It seems to make sense to use a high quality EQ properly to obtain as flat a frequency response as possible from your speakers/headphones in a given environment.

There's nothing "impure" about doing this really, unless you're one of those people that magically gets an absolutely and perfectly flat response from your system already no matter what

Wait a second though... maybe "purists" aren't really looking for "pure" sound after all

mp3player please!

Reply #19
I put forward the awesome little MP3 player, 1by1.

Download only 39k (also needs mpglib.dll, on same dl site).

http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~pesch/

-------
Tired of creating and updating playlists to listen to your audios? 1by1 is a very small sized player which is not only small: It plays whole directories without any playlist. Navigating through your tracks has never been so easy.

Full Resume Play (remembers last played track and position)
Explorer like file navigation
ACM (MP3) and mpglib (MP3/MP2) support
Winamp input plugin support
Audio dynamics and stereo enhancer
Directory searcher (plays whole drives)
Cue sheet support
Favorites

System requirements

100 MHz
Windows 9x, NT
MP3 ACM Codec, mpglib.dll (available below) or input plugins

Downloads

1by1 Version 1.33 (39 KB) (2003-01-19)

What's new in 1.33:
Optional Systray icon with menu
Command line options /hide and /close
Option "Quit after current track"
Enhancer: adjustable "Threshold" and new preset list
Manual and Homepage button added to about window

What's new since 1.29:
Program remembers when it was in a Playlist or Cue sheet
MPEG 2.5 supported with ACM and mpglib
Number of wave buffers adjustable
Global hotkeys
Option for allowing only one instance
Wave device selectable

------
RD.
The Probel with Troublems

mp3player please!

Reply #20
winamps eq sucks, but purists don't need equalizers.

And how's that?

It seems to make sense to use a high quality EQ properly to obtain as flat a frequency response as possible from your speakers/headphones in a given environment.

There's nothing "impure" about doing this really, unless you're one of those people that magically gets an absolutely and perfectly flat response from your system already no matter what

Wait a second though... maybe "purists" aren't really looking for "pure" sound after all

I presume, that a good hifi system should play sounds as naturally as possible. So there should be as less changing in the sound as possible...

I thought, when I wrote my posting, (btw. I still think this) that a good hifi system shouldn't need any manipulation of the sound, 'cause it should be flat without changing it.

You are right that it is right to use an equalizer to obtain flatness.

I am not a purist myself, 'cause I need to boost the basses with my amp...  I'll have to buy a subwoofer, when I have enough money...
I love the moderators.

mp3player please!

Reply #21
I'd also say foobar2000. It's superior to Winamp (for me) for these reasons (no particular order):

- centralized ReplayGain control (yay, no more fiddling with several config windows)
- very flexible playlist display (these "fake columns" are really cool)
- nearly all keyboard shortcuts configurable
- easy disk writing (right click -> convert), instead of fiddling with output plugins
- cool MOD support (Unreal Tournament / Deus Ex soundtracks RULE! )
- great tag editing system

(Dibrom listed some of these too.)

Of course, there are some points which need to be improved (the behaviour of the developer being one of them ), but foobar2000 still wins for me.

mp3player please!

Reply #22
I think the answer depends greatly on what you want to do with your player: listen to songs or play around with audio features.

If I just want to queue up some music and then do other stuff then CoolPlayer is excellent. It loads very quickly and without DSPs sounds noticeably better than Foobar2000 (I'm using CoolPlayer 206 preview with the MAD decoder), at least on my system. I also like the shell extensions that allow me to add files to the playlist while browsing around my music folders.

Foobar has lots of great features but it's not what I choose when I want to quickly start listening to music and then do something else.

mp3player please!

Reply #23
[...] sounds noticeably better than Foobar2000 (I'm using CoolPlayer 206 preview with the MAD decoder) [...]

Please read rule #8 of the forums here.

If you'd like to comment on this further, please provide some evidence for your claims.

mp3player please!

Reply #24
I also like the shell extensions that allow me to add files to the playlist while browsing around my music folders.

"Directory context menus" are supported both in foobar2000 and winamp.
She is waiting in the air