Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Any progress on vorbis tags for FLAC? (Read 4631 times) previous topic - next topic

Any progress on vorbis tags for FLAC?

Just wondering if there's been any progress implementing this in Tag, or other. I am honestly trying hard not to be impatient

Thanks guys, tonderai

Reply #1
You can use metaflac to add vorbis comments:

metaflac --set-vc-field=artist=blabla --set-vc-field=title=blabla file.flac

However, the flac plugin for winamp doesn't yet support vorbis comments. And the comments will never be utf8-encoded due to a bug in metaflac.

All these will be fixed in the next release, so it's best to wait some more...

Reply #2
when can we expect the next version ?

Reply #3
Originally posted by madah    

However, the flac plugin for winamp doesn't yet support vorbis comments. And the comments will never be utf8-encoded due to a bug in metaflac.   

I should mention that ASCII is a subset of UTF-8 so if you are just using ASCII it is safe.

As to when the next release is... hmm, probably a month or two.  I just finished the file encoder layer in libFLAC and created a libOggFLAC wrapper for doing Ogg FLAC streams; before this was just a hack in the command-line flac.  All this was to make the next little project easier: I started a cross-platform (wxWindows) transcoder/transtagger GUI called FUI which uses all the new stuff in the library.  But this will probably take longer than I wanted to get flac 1.0.4 out. The only big things left to do are finish the new Doxygen-based API docs and finish 24-bit support for the plugins., and a bunch of little things like this UTF-8 support in metaflac.

Josh

Reply #4
Originally posted by tonderai
Just wondering if there's been any progress implementing this in Tag, or other. I am honestly trying hard not to be impatient

Sorry it took so long, but FLAC support is finally implemented.
I included two other requested features, rest will follow later once I know FLAC support works flawlessly.
Download Tag 2.0.25.

Reply #5
Originally posted by madah

I have checked in the new UTF-8 support in metaflac to CVS if you are keen to try it out.  Otherwise if you wait a few weeks you can try the 1.0.4 beta.

I'll try to get vorbis comments in the plugins for 1.0.4 if I can.

Josh

Reply #6
Just to point out that Tag (by Case)and Flac Frontend 1.6 (by Speek) can now write flac tags: see this thread
Thanks for all your hard work guys