Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for specific model of CD player (Read 2274 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for specific model of CD player

Good evening!

Good people, I am searching for one specific model of CD player, quite old, from the 80's IIRC, which had display of CD quality - I think it displayed level of error correction used. It was, IIRC, in a form of meter.
Can you remember the model? I think it was Technics, but it might be Sony.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Re: Looking for specific model of CD player

Reply #1
Good evening!

Good people, I am searching for one specific model of CD player, quite old, from the 80's IIRC, which had display of CD quality - I think it displayed level of error correction used. It was, IIRC, in a form of meter.
Wasn't there a Cambridge Audio CD player that did that? The CD1, perhaps?

Reply #2
Dear lord, what an ugly player! :) no, this one was, IIRC, more classic design, with that bluish display that was standard with consumer cd players...
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #3
Dear lord, what an ugly player! :) no, this one was, IIRC, more classic design, with that bluish display that was standard with consumer cd players...
Proper British hair-shirt-fi, from an era where physical attractiveness was considered a mortal sin and probably a sign of moral degeneracy too.  ;)

Reply #4
Good evening!

I have no memory of that feature on any CD player, but back in that day I did open up a Sony player and with the service manual found a point on the digital audio board I could probe with a scope and see the error detection action.  I think it was a logic high for detection, logic low for normal.  That signal could have been easily buffered, integrated and metered. 

But back then our problem then was more about some players that were more picky about disc condition than others, and laser aging.  The indicator would have been hyper sensitive and reflect several different causes for bad disc reads. 

Why do you want that now?