Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54 (Read 273387 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54

Reply #550
Right, I was running an old version of GEP; after updating it, the levels match.

The situation with the other formats hasn't changed, though.

Reply #551
USF is software rendered by the emulated game code. No level adjustment is applied to it.

Reply #553
nuked!

On a related note, what's with the Genesis Plus GX eternal Release Candidate version from 2015?  New release is overdue, perhaps?

Reply #554
That's quite amusing, since people spent the better part of previous years complaining that my plugin didn't produce nearly enough treble for their tastes.

Reply #555
The "nuked" 100% accuracy core makes the intro of Phantasy Star II not sound awful by making the SSG-EG (or whatever) work.  For example.

I'm hoping our 44100 Hz VGM logs would also benefit from the accurate core.  And then there could be an option to turn off the DAC decimation/quantization, as an enhancement to make it sound better than the real thing.

Valleybell hasn't updated "in_vgm" to use the "nuked" core, so we're also behind the times there.  Almost accurate Genesis music playback.  Almost!

To me, the analog hardware-like filter option would just be icing on the cake.

Reply #556
Ask them to fix their stupid M3U playlists. Nobody can seem to agree on the correct format for those.
You can't add custom M3U files to the playlist. They will be used automatically if you name them the same as the song file, and add the song file to the playlist. This will not change, as adding extended M3U support to the player is beyond my capability as a component author.
Can you (or anyone) provide a sample of an m3u that works with foo_gep? I have a few gbs/m3u rips which have a separate m3u for each track. This means I can't use them, since they're all in the same folder and I can't give all of them the same name as the gbs (I guess I could get around this making a bunch of hardlinks to the gbs within the folder so I can give it a bunch of different names, but hopefully the following will be a bit less messy). I think the easiest way to handle these would be simply to open the m3us in a text editor and combine them into a single m3u, but to do that I need to know how foo_gep expects them to be formatted.

If it matters, the ones I have now follow the format:
Code: [Select]
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,0,Overture - Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - ©1998-09-25 Tose\, Enix,1:29,,1

Reply #557
Yes, that's the expected format, more or less. It just needs the filename, the song number, and some basic metadata about the track, such as name, length, optional fade time.

Separate files cannot work with this player, as it handles all playlist formats internally, and doesn't support this extended crap in M3U format.

Reply #558
Can you (or anyone) provide a sample of an m3u that works with foo_gep? I have a few gbs/m3u rips which have a separate m3u for each track. This means I can't use them, since they're all in the same folder and I can't give all of them the same name as the gbs (I guess I could get around this making a bunch of hardlinks to the gbs within the folder so I can give it a bunch of different names, but hopefully the following will be a bit less messy). I think the easiest way to handle these would be simply to open the m3us in a text editor and combine them into a single m3u, but to do that I need to know how foo_gep expects them to be formatted.

If it matters, the ones I have now follow the format:
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,0,Overture - Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - ©1998-09-25 Tose\, Enix,1:29,,1

In this case, try:

DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,1,Overture,1:29,,1

Note that you need to change the track number from 0 to 1. You'll probably have to add 1 to all of the track numbers.

Also, MS Word has an "import text from file" option. It's a handy way to compile all of the m3u text into a single file.

Reply #559
Note that you need to change the track number from 0 to 1. You'll probably have to add 1 to all of the track numbers.

Also, MS Word has an "import text from file" option. It's a handy way to compile all of the m3u text into a single file.
That's very helpful, thank you.

Ask them to fix their stupid M3U playlists. Nobody can seem to agree on the correct format for those. The track numbers are either wrong in one rip, or wrong in another. People frequently mix up whether to make the subsong indexes 1-based, or 0-based, and forget whether the format they're applying them to is already 1-based or 0-based. It doesn't seem to matter if the numbers are hexadecimal or decimal based, nobody can agree on the correct standard. I'll welcome a pull request to "fix" it without breaking the same M3U playlists that I fixed with 1.210.
Apologies if it's against the rules to ask this, but given the links throughout this thread I'm assuming it's ok: can you tell me where you found the GBS/M3U rips you configured foo_gep to support? I've checked several sites, but none of them seem to host files that follow the format the component prefers.

Reply #560
The truth is, I was yelled at on the hcs64.com forum, and I don't even remember where they got their M3U files from. Next time the M3U code is touched will be by someone competent enough to fix it themselves, maybe someone from that forum knows how to send pull requests. I obviously don't know enough to fix it myself.

Reply #561
My mistake, the latest releases of Genesis Plus GX are here: https://github.com/ekeeke/Genesis-Plus-GX/tree/master/builds

Not here: https://bitbucket.org/eke/genesis-plus-gx/downloads/

Confusing.com
MisuseOfSourceControl.com
CompletelyRelevantToTheCurrentConversation.com
camalCaseIsGreaterThanTitleCase.com

It's goofy that Valleybell hasn't released "in_vgm" with the "nuked" core.  A shame, really.

Reply #562
He's too busy working on libvgm, which still isn't capable of playing back VGM files.

Reply #563
Hi.

@kode54, Any plan to support waveforms that uses more than 32-samples on the N163?
Some soundtracks do not play correctly, for example Final Lap, Rolling Thunder etc., due to this limitation.
Also, I noticed that the FDS channel do not play the waveform correctly in "Vs. Excitebike" soundtrack. I tested it using NSFPlay. The difference with this plugin is that with NSFPlay it plays the waveform correctly but with this plugin plays the waveform one octave higher than in NSFPlay. Maybe, maybe I'm wrong.

BTW if would be great if this plugin adds support for MGSDRV's format, MGS. I do not know if anyone has heard of that sound driver. Maybe MSX users around here know about it.

There's a plugin for Winamp called in_msx, but I do not want to install Winamp for just that format support.

Anyway, thanks for your hard work!

Reply #564
He's too busy working on libvgm, which still isn't capable of playing back VGM files.
Sorry if I'm being a jerk, but I don't think you are the one to criticize their project management considering this plugin still adds NSFe files with incorrect track order just because you didn't want to break the existing playlists 8 years ago. IMO for non-commercial software that was a completely reasonable trade-off as compared to just ignoring a subtle issue. I'm not a fan of the current issue with most GBS/M3U rips either, but at least it's a more apparent problem with a more niche format.

Reply #565
They have NSFe tracks in the wrong order because foobar2000 defaults to sorting tracks on load, including by the track number field, which is the song number in foo_gep. Apparently, this was the trade off to expect when dealing with file add dialogs that can't produce consistent file ordering. I don't care enough to fix it any more, so anyone else who is willing is more than welcome to take it over if they think they can produce more timely updates of things that clearly matter. The source code has always been available.

So far, VGMStream is the only project I help manage that anyone has bothered to take up any invitation to contribute to.

Reply #566
Dammit, just realized that I didn't google the issue properly. It's still weird that similarly to the original reporter's case even the workaround doesn't work for me. The file just gets added in a different incorrect order.

Reply #567
I think the order is wrong regardless, because if you reduce the sorting pattern complexity, you just get them wrongly sorted into a different order, due to how the employed Quick Sort algorithm works against the input data. *Maybe* you can find an item index variable that will sort them into the order they were input in?

Reply #568
I'm sorry to ask but I've searched everywhere for a way to make NSF+M3U work with GEP and it seems it used to work at some point, but the feature was taken down? Is it possible to grab an older version of GEP for this purpose? I don't really care if it breaks M3U elsewhere to be honest.

Reply #569
Advanced preferences has an option to enable what you want.

Reply #570
No wonder I couldn't find it... thank you!

Reply #571
Is there a way to disable the noise filter when playing VRC7 Lagrange Point to make it more "clear"?

Reply #572
No. And it's not a noise filter, it's passing the FM chip through a nearest neighbor resampler with bandwidth limiting, really the only easy way to add extra chips in Nes_Emu. Pull requests which implement it differently are not entirely unwelcome.

E: I found the real reason it's "noisy". The chip emulator's decibel to linear sample table is calculated with 8 bit precision, like the actual YM2413 chip would use in ROM form. So basically, you're hearing the hiss of genuine 8 bit sound. And don't think the chip ever used higher precision than this for mixing. As a cost cutting measure, this chip actually multiplexed the 6 channels, rather than summing them.

Reply #573
How do you audio disable channels like here: https://youtu.be/lk1-p2MDjgo
PS; That SPC700 status thing doesn't do shit, thanks.

Reply #574
View>GEP control may be what you're looking for.