Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Linux API without Files (Read 1751 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux API without Files

I have looked at many of the compression products and they are all based on compressing files.  Here is what I need, can anyone suggest something?

Platform:
Linux/Fedora Core 2
Intel based PC
ALSA
Soundblaster 128 PCI

I am reading audio data from the sound card.  I need to compress the data and put it in a message queue.  There is another piece of software that reads the compressed audio data from the queue and sends that comressed data to a server.  The server stores the compressed audio data for playback at a later time.  When playback occurs, the data is uncompressed if the player does not understand the compressed data.

So you see, using disk files is a large waste of time and resources and I would like to avoid having to write the raw data to a file, convert the file to a comressed file, then reading the file so I can send it (or sending the filename) to another program.

Any products available for me?  You can contact me directly - jerry.craft@titan.com