Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What codec do you use predominately in your collection?

MP3
[ 447 ] (46%)
Ogg Vorbis    
[ 267 ] (27.5%)
MP4-AAC    
[ 123 ] (12.7%)
MPC    
[ 94 ] (9.7%)
WMA    
[ 13 ] (1.3%)
Other
[ 28 ] (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 1167

Topic: Your lossy codec of choice in 2006? (Read 184440 times) previous topic - next topic

Your lossy codec of choice in 2006?

Reply #200
Only ATRAC3plus @ 48kbps for me. I transcode my 192kbps MP1 files, created in 1999 with the DIST-10 derived SoloX encoder, to 128kbps Blade MP3 (full stereo, to preserve intra-instrument space and airiness), as to be imported into SonicStage for encoding to ATRAC. (Sonicstage only supports Layer 3 files). They sound even better than my CDs! The smooth, liquid midrange is still present in the ATRAC encodings, which still manage to convey a tremendous sense of timing and musicality.

Seriously, I just stick with LAME -V2 (nee "preset standard) as I've done for years. If it isn’t broke, don't fix it 

Reply #201
Only ATRAC3plus @ 48kbps for me. I transcode my 192kbps MP1 files, created in 1999 with the DIST-10 derived SoloX encoder, to 128kbps Blade MP3 (full stereo, to preserve intra-instrument space and airiness), as to be imported into SonicStage for encoding to ATRAC. (Sonicstage only supports Layer 3 files). They sound even better than my CDs! The smooth, liquid midrange is still present in the ATRAC encodings, which still manage to convey a tremendous sense of timing and musicality.

Seriously, I just stick with LAME -V2 (nee "preset standard) as I've done for years. If it isn’t broke, don't fix it 

Ah, you scared me there.

Although I have NEVER found any fault with ATRAC (Just ATRAC3 and plus, those two versions suck)

Reply #202
With the soon-to-be-released newer Vorbis tunings from Aoyumi, and Nero's reference AAC encoder, do you think we ought to start a new lossy poll perhaps sometime in August?

Reply #203
Switched to ripping to MP3 no more than a week ago. No longer ripping CDs to Musepack.
Acid8000 aka. PhilDEE

Reply #204
Wavpack 320~350 k ,  transcoded to LAME 3.98a6 -V5 for portable, correction files backed up to DVD.

Reply #205
others : wavpack

Wavpack 400kb ,  transcoded to LAME 3.97b2 -V5 for portable, no more correction files

I don't rip lossless any longer, I think future will bring secure autoripping players (put your cd in the box, wait, ...done)

Reply #206
MP3: Lame 3.98a6 -V2. I do not use a portable player but if I did, I would use Lame3.98a6 -V5. Gapless is very important for me and AAC does not cut it.
Reason is immortal, all else mortal
- Pythagoras

Reply #207
Not MY version of the Blade encoder. It can go as low as -20. Of course, you can't hear anything and the tracks start sucking bits out of other songs. And then the universe implodes. So it's best to go with a positive number.

That's hysterical - an encoder or setting so bad the resulting file degrades the songs around it.  We could try to hack that into Windows Media Player.

Reply #208
 You mean, WMP is not already doing that right now? 

Reply #209
WMA10Pro b2 for me, either at 64kbps 2-pass VBR or 25% Quality Mode (75kbps?).  Note: Not the so-called "WMAPro+" variation that you can rip to in the WMP11 options.

I guess it sound pretty much fine on my Pocket PC, which is where I listen to my music.  Too bad the codec can't be benchmarked or anything because it sounds ... like... something I didn't expect from Microsoft, that's for sure.  I sometimes mux it into my OGM video files as the audiotrack.  (Did you know that WMA10Pro in .ogg is smaller than the original WMA?!  )
Copy Restriction, Annulment, & Protection = C.R.A.P. -Supacon

Reply #210
Used to be OGG, but since I bought a mac and I have an external medialibrary, I reencoded everything to mp3. However, I keep my favourite artist (Enigma) in FLAC/ALAC

Reply #212
WMA10Pro for me too. I can't wait for wmp11b3 or rc or real version because I can't decode 32kbps@44.1khz 16bits stereo.

Reply #213
Well I was an adamant AAC supporter (and have been for years, even way back right to Ivan's original codec), but I've switched back to MP3 because of Microsoft's non-existent MP4 support.  I'm now using WMP11 for playback.  It's just to damn easy to use, doesn't use a huge amount of resources, and requires no setup or tweaking (I haven't got time to fiddle with foobar2000 anymore, as much as I love it).  I'm also using Windows Media Center on my TV, which is what really did MP4 for me.  If MS ever support it (hopefully in the next WMP version - yeah right), I'll go back to it, but for now, I'm back on MP3.

Reply #214
Vorbis with Aoyumi's tunings, at the moment I'm desperately waiting for the release of beta5, heh. I love its decent quality in the low-bitrate regions, the fact it's open source and especially its increasing hardware compatibility - I'm the proud owner of both a portable player and a car stereo which support Vorbis playback. The only drawback is that quite a lot of hardware devices don't support reading of Vorbis comments yet, making management of the audio collection really difficult. Same problem with AAC, by the way, my stupid mobile decodes both LC-AAC and HE-AAC, but it doesn't read the goddamn mp4 tags.

Reply #215
Used to be Lame -V 1 or 2 --vbr-new before I discovered ABX tests.  Now I do Lame -V 4 and iTunes AAC vbr 128.  MP3 encodes faster on my machine than AAC, so it really depends on how much I'm encoding at a time.

Reply #216
I've switched between Vorbis, AAC, and MP3 all year long, unable to settle on one possibility

But after struggling with different formats and their compatibility issues, I have inevitably switched back to MP3.

At least until WMP11/Media Center supports AAC, since I use media center on my home theather system.

-V 5 --vbr-new is my current setting of course

Reply #217
wavpack

Reply #218
Vorbis. The files are smaller @ q6 than MP3 @ 192Kb/s and my ears can't tell the difference between the two.

Reply #219
Vorbis. The files are smaller @ q6 than MP3 @ 192Kb/s and my ears can't tell the difference between the two.

TOS #8.

Granted, I don't think enforcement is pushed for when you say you *can't* hear a difference. 

-brendan

Reply #220
Well.... for my archive I am re-ripping to FLAC (a project I estimate will take at least six months). For my iPod, I am sticking with MP3 (although I am debating between sticking with CBR 192 or VBR).

Reply #221
I've switched a few times.  I like Vorbis on my modded iRiver, but my car and gym player are MP3 only.  So, it's MP3 for me, just so I only need one library of lossy files, which is already over 70GB. 

My home stuff is all FLAC.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #222

TOS #8.

Granted, I don't think enforcement is pushed for when you say you *can't* hear a difference. 

-brendan

This is asking for opinions. Therefore, that rule doesn't apply.

If that was a official comment, then yes, you'd be right.

Reply #223
Ok.  Mostly I was joking, I feel bad that it didn't come across that way.

-brendan

Reply #224
mp3 (lame) just because I my ipod is still working - otherwise it would be ogg
flac for cd archive