Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ideas for organization... (Read 19598 times) previous topic - next topic

Ideas for organization...

Reply #25
------------------------------------
other than that , imho the key to success is to have a really good starting navigation for the whole thing, one should be on the correct place with no more than 3 clicks.

so entry points, based on this thread, could be:
hydrogenaudio.org objectives and/or goals
-audio compression for newbies (usage of tools and explanations of basic priciples)
-audio compression formats
-audio hardware
-audio advanced topics
-video
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=247408"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree.  I think maybe we should organize things into top level categories on the page first, maybe like:

Audio Software
-->Encoders/Decoders
-->Rippers
-->Players
-->Editors
-->Testing Software
Audio Hardware
-->PC Audio
-->Hi Fi
-->Digital Audio Players
Audio Theory
-->Digital Audio
-->Encoding Technology
-->Testing Methodology
Other Topics
-->Video

I'd also like to have some sort of general resource in there for development too, like how to get started in coding audio tools, what some good libs are, where to find algorithms and information, etc., etc.

Reply #26
I've setup a basic skeleton for the content index page, which people can checkout now.

I'd like to keep discussing this here, but people are welcome to experiment by adding stuff now if they wish.  We can always continue to refactor things as we go.

I also renamed the page to Topic Index, users who can't see this may need to empty their cache and reload the main page.  This won't be continually necessary, but for structural changes on the main navigation area it is for the moment.

Reply #27
looks good imho, but instead of
-------------------
HAK Navigation  (how this reads: wtf is hak? ok, thats ha+k, wtf is k? k as wiki? )
    * Topic Index  (uhmm, this could be an entry point to something...?)
-------------------
i would try to put main entry 'topics' on the front page and label the whole things at least as 'ha knowledge base wiki' or similar.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #28
looks good imho, but instead of
-------------------
HAK Navigation  (how this reads: wtf is hak? ok, thats ha+k, wtf is k? k as wiki? )

Well.. I suppose it's possible to change this. I'm not entirely sure how much of a difference it would make though.

* Topic Index  (uhmm, this could be an entry point to something...?)
-------------------
i would try to put main entry 'topics' on the front page and label the whole things at least as 'ha knowledge base wiki' or similar.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=247505"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Topic Index already points to the index of topics... not sure exactly what else you might mean.  If you can't see that, maybe it's a cache problem.

I don't think it's a good idea to put main links on the front page though because that obscures the forum aspect of the site too much IMO.

Reply #29
The Topic Index already points to the index of topics... not sure exactly what else you might mean. If you can't see that, maybe it's a cache problem.
  i was trying to view the navigation from a 'fresh' perspective, as someone who just landed on ha.org (most people probably arent that familiar with wiki systems, and this wiki is one of the more complex ones - anyway, the strongest wiki feature; complete nonlinearity of navigation is also the weakest point, one could just get lost - like jump to the same info from 5 different locations..., so i was thinking about adding at least on the entry some sort of familiar linearity - 'forum like' thinking.)
I don't think it's a good idea to put main links on the front page though because that obscures the forum aspect of the site too much IMO.
i thought the idea was to 'force' wiki a bit more?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #30
The organisation looks good! However, before we get too involved in the Wiki setup, are we happy with the GNU FDL as Wikipedia uses? There are a lot of reasons not to use it, so perhaps we shoud pick a more liberal Creative Commons license instead?

Just thought I'd bring this to attention, as it's something that should be considered earlier in the organisational process rather than once you have content that needs to be re-licensed...

Reply #31
I'm afraid to contribute just because of my english. Since it's not my native language, a lot of gramatical errors may occur. AND I'm not an audio expert, I'm just an intermediate user.

If you're planning to translate the portal to other languages than english(like portuguese) I'm totally in.
Alguém pare o mundo que eu quero descer!!

Reply #32
Don't be afraid. Someone with a better englisch will come and correct your mistakes. That's the beauty of wikis: Almost every small contribution is useful in some way.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #33

The Topic Index already points to the index of topics... not sure exactly what else you might mean. If you can't see that, maybe it's a cache problem.
  i was trying to view the navigation from a 'fresh' perspective, as someone who just landed on ha.org (most people probably arent that familiar with wiki systems, and this wiki is one of the more complex ones - anyway, the strongest wiki feature; complete nonlinearity of navigation is also the weakest point, one could just get lost - like jump to the same info from 5 different locations..., so i was thinking about adding at least on the entry some sort of familiar linearity - 'forum like' thinking.)

Well it would definitely be possible to refine the language on the main page some to emphasize the wiki a little more, and perhaps point people to the guides or something.

i thought the idea was to 'force' wiki a bit more?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=247517"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is, but I don't want to completely obscure the forum.  For as much as I'd like the wiki to become a "Big Deal", this site is and probably will always remain a site mostly about the forum community.  Because of that, I really don't want to hide the forum part that much.  If I put too many links on the main page, then all the forum activity gets pushed down to the bottom, and I can be sure that some people will definitely complain about that.

Reply #34
Small bug report: If I'm on edit page and click 'Topic Index', I'll get 404.

Yeah, I just noticed that.  I'll see what I can do.

I added some topics to video section and I hope that the new wiki will get bigger soon. 

Thanks  Hopefully some more people will decide to contribute some soon...

Reply #35
Note: We need to figure out a good way to denote the distinction between software available on different platforms.

My Example:

Players
- Multiple platforms // Cross-platform
-- iTunes
- Windows
-- foobar2000
-- Winamp

Seemingly simple enough.. additional requirements, like iTunes need for a Windows version above 2000 could be put on the information page. I'd put most *nix apps (like JuK, Rhythmbox and Xine) under a "Linux" (or perhaps "Linux/BSD") title since that's where most of them are tested and compiled, even if they run under other *nixes (like Solaris).

As for Mac OS, I'd make a "Mac OS X" and "Mac OS Classic"/"Mac OS 9" section to separate the two, since there's seemingly a significant number of people running OS 9... (compared to how many runs Windows 3.x versus Windows 95 and higher).

I'll use this method and see how it ends up looking

Edit: Actually, it looked kind of messy. Perhaps better to just duplicate cross-platform players under different sections until the list becomes to big, or something...

Reply #36
Edit: Actually, it looked kind of messy. Perhaps better to just duplicate cross-platform players under different sections until the list becomes to big, or something...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=247713"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I thought about trying it the way you're doing it, but I was afraid it'd turn out the same.  I think the main thing though is that as that page grows, eventually it'll end up becoming too long.  On the bright side though, we can easily move some of those top level categories into their own pages when things get crowded enough... so it's not much of a problem in the end.

Thanks for helping btw

Reply #37
I've added a FAQ to the FLAC page (I just added a few things, as examples mostly, I don't know if they're actually frequently asked questions, except perhaps the first one ). Does the style I used seem OK?

Personally, I've always liked the "Question, Short Answer, Long Answer" but I'm open to suggestions

Reply #38
I added sections to the FAQ topic index: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php/Topic_Index

The structure seems ok, but I think that the FAQ on lossy (and future lossless FAQ) compression should be transferred to the format's page on a section FAQ or something. IMO it would be nice to concentrate discussions about specific wiki issues on the related talk pages. See here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php/Talk:Topic_Index

Reply #39
I'm ready to contribute. I've noticed a distinct lack of information about Surround Sound formats. I'm willing to get the ball rolling, the problem is, where on earth would one put this information? Hence this post - you're all a lot more familiar with the HA Wiki than I am I can guarantee.

I think we'd have to start by defining Surround Sound with it's own section, outlining the various different approaches (Dolby Digital, DTS, THX, etc.) and formats (DTS, AC3, DTS-WAV, DD-WAV, OGG, M4A, etc). But at the same time, they also really need to live under the 'lossy' and 'lossless' sections too.