Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Software to Determine Key of an MP3? (Read 18203 times) previous topic - next topic

Software to Determine Key of an MP3?

I'm starting out DJ'ing in by bedroom. After speaking to other DJ's and reading up, the best way to mix tunes that I listen to is known as 'harmonic mixing' - whereby you don't get jumps between keys which don't sound good together.

Aparently, DJ's listen to their tunes and mark down what key they are in - and here's my probelm - I don't know about reading music and I don't have a sythesizer or similar (that's how they figure out the key).

So, what I'd like to do, is have some software which tells me "this mp3 is in C minor". Any ideas?

Alternatively, I could run from my mixer to the line in on my soundcard if software is not yet available to do it directly from mp3 (my decks only play audio).

All help appreciated.

Reply #1
Hello.

Check out this addy.:
Code: [Select]
http://www.mixshare.com/

Reply #2
nice one mate! just what i was lookin' for!

cheers

Reply #4
- Rapid Evolution 3 (suggested by n68) (free, isn't actively developed anymore)
- Keyfinder (suggested by mjm716) (free, stable on Mac, apparently not so much on PC)
- Traktor (for pay, includes key analysis feature)
- Beatport (lists keys of all tracks they sell)
- Mixed in Key (for pay)

Reply #5
I realize this post is quite old, sorry for bumping it up.

I too am looking for a plugin to display the musical key of an audio file. Both the keyfinder library (libkeyfinder) as well as a keyfinder-cli app are available as source. Curious if anyone has a working plugin. Ideally I'd like it to be available as a column that I can sort on, similar to track title, artist, etc.