Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME files created as MPEG V2 instead of V1 (Read 6022 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME files created as MPEG V2 instead of V1

Hi I am trying to use LAME 3.96 to create some test mp3 files from a WAV file, but they are always created as MPEG Version2 Layer III, I was expecting them to be created as MPEG Version 1 LAYER III (like most of my existing mp3 files). Is LAME making a choice based on the data file ( they are short sound effects files) or does it always create files as Version 2.

Is there an option to force it to create as MPEG Version 1 (oe even MPEG Version 2.5), Ive had a look but i cant find one ?

Reply #1
Some bitrates/sampling rates are not available in the mpeg-1 layer 3 specs, have a look at this table.

Reply #2
Hi I am trying to use LAME 3.96 to create some test mp3 files from a WAV file, but they are always created as MPEG Version2 Layer III, I was expecting them to be created as MPEG Version 1 LAYER III (like most of my existing mp3 files). Is LAME making a choice based on the data file ( they are short sound effects files) or does it always create files as Version 2.

Is there an option to force it to create as MPEG Version 1 (oe even MPEG Version 2.5), Ive had a look but i cant find one ?

I think it might just depend on the sampling rate... MPEG 2/2.5 files are for lower bitrates.

Reply #3
I think it might just depend on the sampling rate... MPEG 2/2.5 files are for lower bitrates.

Ok so if I tried a more complex file (with talking/speaking) it would probably used Version 1.
But some bitrates such as 32 appear valid for both version 1and version 2, so how does it decide which to use ?

Reply #4
Are you using low sampling rates? Version 1 only allows 48KHz, 44.1KHz, and 32KHz.

Reply #5
Are you using low sampling rates? Version 1 only allows 48KHz, 44.1KHz, and 32KHz.

God knows, that is a property of the original WAV is it?

Reply #7
It's actually quite simple; from the LAME-longhelp:

Code: [Select]
MPEG-1   layer III sample frequencies (kHz):  32  48  44.1
bitrates (kbps): 32 40 48 56 64 80 96 112 128 160 192 224 256 320

MPEG-2   layer III sample frequencies (kHz):  16  24  22.05
bitrates (kbps):  8 16 24 32 40 48 56 64 80 96 112 128 144 160

MPEG-2.5 layer III sample frequencies (kHz):   8  12  11.025
bitrates (kbps):  8 16 24 32 40 48 56 64 80 96 112 128 144 160

So, to force a specific version just resample. for example, you can use LAME's built-in "--resample <sfreq>"-option. For example, to encode speech.wav with Mpeg-2.5, you could use:

Code: [Select]
lame --resample 12 speech.wav

This reduces the samplerate to 12khz and encodes the file.

Reply #8
22KHz is version 2. Why do you need version 1 anyway?
In any case, if you need version 1, stick to 32KHz, 44.1 KHz, or 48KHz. Resampling will work to force a version, like MedO said, but it may affect the quality when using low bitrates.

Reply #9
22KHz is version 2. Why do you need version 1 anyway?

Hi I am actually trying to create some testdata for an ID3 tag API, so the quality of the resultant mp3 is immaterial but I want to check my api correctly calculates mp3 attributes such as the track length

thanks Paul