Skip to main content

Topic: Which is the best lossless codec? (Read 358287 times) previous topic - next topic

• IgorC
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Which is the best lossless codec?
Reply #375
Where did you get information about the popularity of codecs?

Here: http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=105188

There is a new 2015 format poll as well.
We have included all popular lossless formats as far as I can see.  Anyway any suggestion will be good.

• lvqcl
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #376
How was it determined that it doen't support replaygain?  So long as the format supports tagging, doesn't it boil down to the player?

Post #65
I think there's a mistak in the table : Monkey's Audio does have Replaygain support, I think
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Only in foobar2000, AFAIK, which is hardly a format feature and more of a player feature.

And [a href="http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=33226&view=findpost&p=275971]post #109[/url]:
[Pipe support is] different than, E.G, tagging or replaygain, IMO, because these features need to be supported everywhere that format is supported. No use if foobar supports replaygain with Monkey's Audio and Shorten. All other tools won't support it. With pipes, one implementation is enough.

BTW: in the very first available revision (21:22, 10 April 2005? Rjamorim (Initial commit converted from the HA post.)) only FLAC, OFR, TTA and WavPack were described as "ReplayGain compatible". (One can ask kurtnoise why one format supports RG and the other doesn't)

• greynol
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #377
One doesn't have to ask either of them.  The rational doesn't make sense today, and likely didn't then.

I removed the row.
  • Last Edit: 18 February, 2015, 01:18:28 PM by greynol
Is 24-bit/192kHz good enough for your lo-fi vinyl, or do you need 32/384?

• lvqcl
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #378
I removed the row.

But format pros/cons still have "ReplayGain compatible" / "Doesn't support ReplayGain" 

• greynol
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #379
I whole-heartedly apologize for the grave oversight.

In case it wasn't clear, my earlier questions were rhetorical.  Replaygain support depends on the way in which a player chooses to retrieve the metadata.  While this is often achieved through tagging, this doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

Apple has chosen their own proprietary method of loudness equalization, though it has been demonstrated that this can be manipulated to accept 3rd-party gain adjustments.  Microsoft (AFAIK) doesn't employ loudness equalization in their media player.  These two are really the only exceptions and unless it is known that ASF absolutely cannot handle replaygain information, this issue of replaygain compatibility falls squarely on the two respective media players, not the formats themselves.
  • Last Edit: 18 February, 2015, 03:06:09 PM by greynol

• lvqcl
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #380
Thanks for the fixes,...

...but I think there are some other inconsistencies there:

ALAC pros: "Open source (encoding and decoding via FFmpeg and CUETools, decoding only via a standalone decoder)". Reference open source codec isn't even mentioned, as well as refalac program that is based on its code.

Monkey's Audio: "Error handling = yes" in the table,  but "No error robustness" in APE cons.

TTA: "Password protection" in both TTA pros and TTA other features.

LA: "hasn't been updated for more than 10 years" but "backward compatibility is not guaranteed". A bit self-contradictory: what backward compatibility means if there are no new versions?

• lvqcl
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #381
and unless it is known that ASF absolutely cannot handle replaygain information

At least foobar2000, Winamp and AIMP write standart RG tags to WMA files.

• greynol
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #382
Why didn't you present those in your previous post?

I'll fix the MAC inconsistency.

• greynol
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #383
At least foobar2000, Winamp and AIMP write standart RG tags to WMA files.

That only strengthens my point.

• nu774
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #384
I was surprised to see in the "FLAC Other features":
Fits the Ogg, AVI[2] and Matroska containers

AVI! IIRC, AVI container doesn't support VBR audio very well.
So I tried. Yes, ffmpeg managed to remux a 20MB FLAC file into a 183MB AVI. Of course, this is much larger than 16bit uncompressed PCM stored in AVI. This is insane, and I don't think any use of it. Is it really worth mentioning?

BTW, ALAC also fits in Matroska container: http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/codecid/index.html

• ktf
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #385
So I tried. Yes, ffmpeg managed to remux a 20MB FLAC file into a 183MB AVI. Of course, this is much larger than 16bit uncompressed PCM stored in AVI. This is insane, and I don't think any use of it. Is it really worth mentioning?

I read in the VLC changelog that VLC supported playing it, so I added it quite a while ago. I didn't know it was that useless. It should indeed probably be removed then.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.