Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Feature Request: Dynamic Playlist Files (Read 599 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature Request: Dynamic Playlist Files

Hello,

It would be really neat if it was possible to save dynamic/auto playlists (playlists with filter queries) to files. Adding a new auto playlist file format shouldn't be too difficult as essentially the only thing such a playlist would contain is the filter query.

I have a pretty complex query that excludes all live recordings from my media library, but if I accidentally close the playlist I have to enter the query again into the filter box. I currently keep a text file with the query around for this scenario, but having a directly launchable file would be much better. If you don't think that introducing a new file format is a good idea, another option could be adding the option to make auto playlists unclosable (on a playlist to playlist basis) to the properties of auto playlists, but I guess that this would make things complicated, perhaps even unnecessarily so.

Many thanks and have fun! :-)

Re: Feature Request: Dynamic Playlist Files

Reply #1
There's http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Components/Playlist_Tools_(foo_utils) which can make a playlist read-only; and http://www.palm-internet.eu/foobar2000/components/foo_playlist_attributes/foo_playlist_attributes_help.html#Playlist_restrictions_dialog which has disable removal. haven't used myself, tho ...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #2
Thank you, 2tec,
I haven't tested it yet, but it looks like that at least one of the components you linked to will give me the behavior I'm after. :-)
I still think that exporting auto playlists could be useful, but of course, now when I'll be able to make my essential playlists stay put, my need for this functionality is less urgent.
All the best. :-)

Reply #3
Hi there,

If you are using DUI, the Facets component has presets for search filters on the toobar - you can make as many custom presets as you like. (Something I think the default Album List should have adopted a long time ago).

There is also Quick Search (DUI/CUI) which has search history and favorites.

With both of these you would still have to send the results to a new auto-playlist (one click), but at least a way to save the search strings.

Cheers :)

Reply #4
Thank you, anamorphic. I'll try your suggestions. The playlist attributes component would have suited my needs, but unfortunately looks like it can't make auto playlists unremovable.

Reply #5
Right you are. In which case, it might be a hard-coded feature plugins cannot change. Your original request is a good one despite these attempted work-arounds. ;)

Another way to save from accidental deletion, right-click a playlist and choose Restore menu. If it is too late, there is always foo_jesus to make auto backups of the playlist folder to a ZIP file. (Be sure to add - playlists* - to default folders for backup).

Cheers

[Edited for clarity]