Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_mid MUNT Length Issue (Read 1061 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_mid MUNT Length Issue

I have about 150 MIDI files and have converted them to WAV using foo_mid. I have done this using 15 or so different soundfonts as well as each of the built in modes. Each file comes out the same length, which I then trim the 10 ms of loop from using sox. However, the MT32 conversion comes out differently and this is a serious problem.

For one, it only produces 48 Khz while everything else is in 44.1. That is resolved by resampling. What isn't resolved is the fact that, while the files are the same length, there is a random amount of silence at the beginning of each track. Even if I trim that down with a silence remove command, that wouldn't solve my problem because my entire project and workflow are based on each file being the same length down to the sample. I actually named this project "Many-Tracks, 32", so it is going to be extremely disappointing if I have to cut the MT32 stuff. Does anybody (which probably means Kody64, hi!) have any idea what is happening here?

Thanks!

Edit: Well, ok, there is a solution: trim silence and then stretch to the correct length. I'm starting that process, but not all of the MIDI files are the same length so it has to be done by hand I'm afraid. I'm still very curious about what is going on here.

Edit to the edit: There is also a fade out, so the above is not enough. I suspect that the fade out is truncating the end slightly and foobar then adds silence to the beginning to retain length.

Re: foo_mid MUNT Length Issue

Reply #1
The MUNT library automatically adds delay for every MIDI message processed, to simulate actual hardware delays. I don't think the library presents an API that doesn't enforce this delay, at least not publicly.

Re: foo_mid MUNT Length Issue

Reply #2
The MUNT library automatically adds delay for every MIDI message processed, to simulate actual hardware delays. I don't think the library presents an API that doesn't enforce this delay, at least not publicly.

Ok, that makes sense. It also seems to run a bit faster than general MIDI as well. I have a solution involving running several loops, but I don't think I'll be able to automate enough of it to make it practical.

Thanks for the reply, and also for making foo_mid. It has helped me immensely with this project over the last several months.