Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tone control needed for Rotel RA-820 BX2 (Read 9927 times) previous topic - next topic

Tone control needed for Rotel RA-820 BX2

Here's the situation:

My dad has a Rotel RA-820 BX2, it has no treble or bass controls.
He likes the amp for CD / vinyl - but he wants some tone control for old tapes (increase treble) and also the radio (drop the bass). I'm trying to find a solution whereby he can keep his beloved amp and have some control of EQ when required.

Ideally, a little black box with a Treble and Bass dial (and Mid if necessary) is what I'm after.
I ASSUME, the RA-820 BX2 has an in/out to manage the loop-back.

I've looked online at a number of old graphics equalisers, but many like the old Kenwoods, Technics, Pioneers are made specifically for the same brand integrated amps.

Anyone know of a decent and reasonably cheap solution.
[By the way I'm in the UK]

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks,

C.

[EDIT: To the moderators: Apologies, just realised I posted this in the wrong place, stupidly I clicked on T.S.O.L.'s post for Hardware, and now I've mirrored T.S.O.L.'s error. Can a mod move this to its proper place. Thanks C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #1
Here's the situation:

My dad has a Rotel RA-820 BX2, it has no treble or bass controls.
He likes the amp for CD / vinyl - but he wants some tone control for old tapes (increase treble) and also the radio (drop the bass). I'm trying to find a solution whereby he can keep his beloved amp and have some control of EQ when required.

Ideally, a little black box with a Treble and Bass dial (and Mid if necessary) is what I'm after.
I ASSUME, the RA-820 BX2 has an in/out to manage the loop-back.

I've looked online at a number of old graphics equalisers, but many like the old Kenwoods, Technics, Pioneers are made specifically for the same brand integrated amps.

Anyone know of a decent and reasonably cheap solution.
[By the way I'm in the UK]

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks,

C.

[EDIT: To the moderators: Apologies, just realised I posted this in the wrong place, stupidly I clicked on T.S.O.L.'s post for Hardware, and now I've mirrored T.S.O.L.'s error. Can a mod move this to its proper place. Thanks C.

Look on eBay for a used Pioneer GR-777. It was a really top notch hi-fi EQ from the early 90's. It has very low noise floor and distortion, and has 10 bands of EQ with a clear graphic display. It will do the job just fine and imagine should be available for around 100-120USD(whatever that translates to in Euros).

There is one up for auction in Glasglow right now: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Excellent-Pioneer-Gr...id=p3286.c0.m14

Problem with me recommending more modern EQs is that they may be a bit too complicated for your father, based on the way you are requesting simplicity. Otherwise, I would recommend like a Rane analog pro-sound EQ or Behringer DSP based EQ.

-Chris

Reply #2
Thanks WmAx

That Pioneer looks good.

1) Are there any issues with the Rotel that I should know about - i.e. inputs/outputs. I know nothing about Hi-Fi EQs. Can pretty much all integrated amps accomodate them?

2) The thing is that it doesn't have to be great quality. Like I say for the CD and vinyl stuff he'd want to by-pass any EQ. For the Radio and Tape stuff I think he's (not completely, but) far less worried about fidelity.

Thanks again for pointing out the Pioneer.

C.

Reply #3
I've looked online at a number of old graphics equalisers, but many like the old Kenwoods, Technics, Pioneers are made specifically for the same brand integrated amps....

...1) Are there any issues with the Rotel that I should know about - i.e. inputs/outputs. I know nothing about Hi-Fi EQs. Can pretty much all integrated amps accomodate them?
  Just about every piece of consumer audio/video equipment uses "RCA" connectors for the line-level analog audio.  So, any home/consumer equalizer should work. 

But...  Normally you connect an equalizer to the tape inputs/outputs.  Then you set the tape-monitor switch to "tape", and this loops the sound through the EQ.  This could be a problem, since your father already has a tape machine hooked-up, and your amplifier only has one set of tape inputs/outputs. 

You may be able to connect both the tape machine and the EQ in series.  This should work if the sound passes through the tape machine with the tape machine off (or in pause/standby).  You can test that by switching the tape monitor switch to "tape" while listening to one of the other inputs.  If the sound passes-through tape machine, you can add an EQ into the "loop".    ...You'd connect amp's tape-out to the tape machine's input...  Connect the tape machine's output to the EQ's input...  And, connect the EQ's output to the amp's tape-in. 

Of course, a more straight-forward approach would be to replace the amplifier with a different one, or with a receiver.  This would probably be more expensive, but it depends on what you can find...  Somebody gave me their old receiver when they upgraded to a surround-sound system.

Reply #4
You may be able to connect both the tape machine and the EQ in series.  This should work if the sound passes through the tape machine with the tape machine off (or in pause/standby).  You can test that by switching the tape monitor switch to "tape" while listening to one of the other inputs.  If the sound passes-through tape machine, you can add an EQ into the "loop".    ...You'd connect amp's tape-out to the tape machine's input...  Connect the tape machine's output to the EQ's input...  And, connect the EQ's output to the amp's tape-in.

I've got a feeling that's going to be the best solution.
Thanks for such clear advice - much appreciated.

C.