Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lame Settings for Foobar Conversion, CBR 128 (Read 672 times) previous topic - next topic

Lame Settings for Foobar Conversion, CBR 128

Hi there,

I am looking for the parameters for foobars Mp3 conversion within this settings:

I just want to create a CBR 128 lame profile (for car audio). (I dont't know if I have to use --replaygain.)

Can somebody help me out?

Thanks

Re: Lame Settings for Foobar Conversion, CBR 128

Reply #1
Code: [Select]
-S --noreplaygain -b 128 - %d

Reply #2
And update the "Display" info at the bottom.

Reply #6
I don't see anyone replying to your original wondering about the need for --noreplaygain. That command line parameter is there to make the encoding faster by preventing lame from computing a track gain for the file. If you don't care about ReplayGain, calculating the gain values is a waste of processing power. If you do care about ReplayGain, calculating only the track based values is most likely a waste of time. It's better to let foobar2000 calculate both track and album based values once encoding is done. And not only is foobar2000's scanner more optimized and faster, it also offers several advanced options people may like.

The -S is there also for performance reasons. It tells the encoder it doesn't need to waste any cycles printing progress/histograms to the non-existing console screen that no one can even see.

Reply #7
I don't see anyone replying to your original wondering about the need for --noreplaygain. That command line parameter is there to make the encoding faster by preventing lame from computing a track gain for the file. If you don't care about ReplayGain, calculating the gain values is a waste of processing power. If you do care about ReplayGain, calculating only the track based values is most likely a waste of time. It's better to let foobar2000 calculate both track and album based values once encoding is done. And not only is foobar2000's scanner more optimized and faster, it also offers several advanced options people may like.

The -S is there also for performance reasons. It tells the encoder it doesn't need to waste any cycles printing progress/histograms to the non-existing console screen that no one can even see.

Thanks for the info.

Then I guess the only important part here:
is the "-b 128" right?

Reply #8
Then I guess the only important part here:
is the "-b 128" right?
Well, some of those other parts are important as the conversion won't run without them. But, yes, you've got the idea.

The bitrate options are CBR, ABR (rarely used), and VBR:
https://timothygu.me/lame/usage.html

For playback in the car, I typically encode to -V4.