Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_xm (Read 64106 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_xm

foo_xm lets you listen to XM Radio Online through Foobar2000. I originally wrote this because XM Radio Online didn't work in Windows 2000 unless I installed WMP9. Maybe it'll be useful to others too.

You can download it over on my site. You'll need to have a subscription to the XM service. Simply enter your user information into the configuration and add channels by using the syntax xm://47

Let me know if it's useful or if there are problems.

foo_xm

Reply #1
I really really hate to update something that has just been released. But, I feel like the updates I've made in the last few days are what the orginal version should have been.

Changes are:
- Fixed pause/un-pause requirement for proper operation
- Fixed random buffer overrun during login
- Delayed Perl init until more certain URL is XM channel
- Improved handling of dynamic song data
- Other small improvements

foo_xm

Reply #2
great plugin idea

foo_xm

Reply #3
I signed up for a free 3 day trial at http://xmro.xmradio.com/ . Seems to be working great so far. Thanks for making this great plugin.

P.S. Does XM Radio Online stream anything higher than 64Kbps?

foo_xm

Reply #4
I know what you mean, the 64kbs is atrocious but there isn’t anything higher. I keep hoping they’re going to raise it to 128kbs, but they’re going to have to lock down the security on the stream so people don’t transcode 128kbs wma files of music for free (they’d be the same quality of the $1/track DRMed files).

On another note, made a very small update today (didn’t bump the version #) to automatically relogin after inactivity.

foo_xm

Reply #5
I was wondering if it's possible to get the 0.9 version at all?  I don't use prettypop so it doesn't matter much to me if there's a problem with that.  As an xm subscriber I think this is a pretty cool idea for a component, but can't really give feedback because I don't have 0.8 installed.

foo_xm

Reply #6
Sure, I'll release it in the next 24 hours. I wasn't under the impression anyone else was using it or waiting for it

foo_xm

Reply #7
Updated for 0.9.

foo_xm

Reply #8
Hmmm.....
What about one for Sirius? 

foo_xm

Reply #9
Cool, thanks.  Working great so far.

foo_xm

Reply #10
Hmmm.....
What about one for Sirius? 

Certainly possible. But, so few people use foo_xm and I don't have Sirius... makes it a little tough to justify spending time on it.

Then again, the basic framework would be the same, so I may get around to it.

foo_xm

Reply #11
I'm not sure if this would also be a similar project, but I think it would be cool to have something like this for Last.fm radio.  The nice thing about that is it's a 128kbps stream, and it's free.  Unfortunately their proprietary player kinda sucks so I don't get much use out of it.

foo_xm

Reply #12
Yeah, in the same vein as a last.fm plugin, a pandora plugin would be quite awesome, too. 

foo_xm

Reply #13
XM added some new channels today and I'm getting crashes when I try to listen to those channels.  "XM 17 U.S. Country","XM 26 Flight 26","XM 30 XM Hitlist","XM 34 enLighten","XM 68 The Heat","XM 78 Escape","XM 91 Viva"

foo_xm

Reply #14
Updated to 1.0.3. I've updated the internal channel list. Also, the plugin will no longer crash when the server reports it is busy (it will automatically try the backup servers it is told to use, channels should always start on the first try).

foo_xm

Reply #15
First off, GREAT plugin!! The web based player from XM is crap.
Can you add an option to automatically change the playback order to "Repeat (track)" while a XM channel is playing. If it's set to anything else, foobar moves to the next track/station if the connection gets reset or an auto logout occurs.

Thanks!

foo_xm

Reply #16
Indeed, lately XM's service has been having stupid network problems that show off various problems with my implementation...
1) Sometimes XM's connection hits the fan and you start getting static because foo_xm doesn't rebuffer very well.
2) foo_xm should try to reconnect on disconnect (foo_xm is actually immune to the timeout disconnect, but sometimes the connection dies due to other network issues).
and 3) Every so often an XM server sits on a request for about 30 seconds before telling us it's too busy. This makes Foobar appear locked up when really if you wait a minute foo_xm finally tries the 2nd or 3rd servers.

I'll be fixing these sooner or later since even though these problems are kinda rare it's starting to bug me when they do happen. A Sirius version is looking more likely at some point... since it looks like I'll have to move to that service.

foo_xm

Reply #17
Thanks again for the great plugin!

foo_xm

Reply #18
This is for anyone using foo_xm with foo_uie_albumart (Both great plug-ins by the way!).

Add these lines to your sources:
--$if($strcmp($left(%path%,5),xm$char(58)$char(47)$char(47)),images\xm_logos\%filename%.*,)
--$if($strcmp($left(%path%,5),xm$char(58)$char(47)$char(47)),images\xm_logos\default.*,)

You can download the logo pack from my site.
http://www.revnull.com/download.php?file=xm_logos.rar

Example Image: Here

Edit: Sorry about the HUGE image

foo_xm

Reply #19
Awesome!! Thanks for this!

foo_xm

Reply #20
No problem. I use foo_xm for hours a day. I just though it should interact with the other plug-ins a bit more.

foo_xm

Reply #21
I lose the xm-channel-album-art as soon as foobar loads a song from any station.

The art appears correctly when I first load foobar, but as soon as it connects and retrieves artist/song info from XM, I lose the image.

foo_xm

Reply #22
Killer plugin thanks!

foo_xm

Reply #23
Will this plug in be updated to include new stations or channel name changes? Maybe add a channel mapping file so the end user can update channel names/number them selves.

I love this plug in and use it EVERY day! Thanks!

foo_xm

Reply #24
Will this plug in be updated to include new stations or channel name changes?
Oops, thanks for letting me know. XM doesn't send me channel updates in the mail like they use to! I will try to update the plugin soon.
Maybe add a channel mapping file so the end user can update channel names/number them selves.
Well, ideally the plugin would update itself, but that's a little more complex than I'm interested in doing. There isn't anything to stop you from using xm://somenumber until I fix the names up though.

I've been using the plugin less nowadays, so thanks for letting me know about any problems. Glad it is useful.