Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Anyone using the freeware Hysolid HiRes Audio Player? (Read 5748 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone using the freeware Hysolid HiRes Audio Player?

Enabling playback by turning ON the PC -> Largely avoids the PC load generated from other software
HYSOLID was designed so that you can use it by turning ON the PC in order to avoid the influence of other software as much as possible. You need not sign in to Windows unlike other general software. Since many of Windows programs in both OS and applications operate starting from the Windows sign-in, we have considered this design is particularly important for the PC audio.
~ https://www.hysolid.com/concept.html

Hi. Anyone using this software, or any experience with it? Not sure I understand, is this a user space program?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Re: Anyone using the freeware Hysolid HiRes Audio Player?

Reply #1
Sounds more like a daemon.

I'd love to where this idea that system load causes "noise". I routinely play music while waiting for things to compile or render. Never had an issue with modern setups. I may also dedicate a core to the player and a core to ASIO.
SMSL SU-8 -> Little Bear P5 -> Sansui SE-8 - Denon PMA-770 -> Ohm Model L | High-Res Lover | DSD Enthusiast | Mad SACD-Scientist

Reply #2
Possibly sounds like a dedicated self-booting audio player.

Reply #3
That's pointless for an audio player application.  And, then you can't use your computer for anything else at the same time!

But for a DAW...    The multitasking operating system does tend to get in the way and often causes trouble and it contributes to the need for buffers, which add latency.    But audio interface drivers are designed to work with Windows or OS X so the software or "new" operating system would have to support those drivers and you still need some kind of operating/file system to run the keyboard, mouse, display, file storage, and maybe network connectivity, etc.     If that was easy, someone would be doing it...   

There are stand-alone "porta-studios" that don't use a general-purpose computer.

Reply #4
It looks like another one of those "audiophile" gimmicks. Where are the measurements to show how well it works?

I have seen (or rather heard) some awful PCs with very noisy built-in audio interfaces, and sometimes the noise was affected by the system load. Almost any USB DAC would solve that problem easily. I could dig one out of my junk pile and see if Hysolid helps at all, but would you look at that, it's only compatible with USB DACs...

Reply #5
"True Audiophiles" don't need measurements. They just need a fancy bulleted list of selling points to make them feel like their money is well spent.

Reply #6
It's an audio player that runs as a Windows service and takes over the audio device that you choose; the control UI is a mobile app.
¡Se habla español! Also available in purple and orange.

Reply #8
From the faq of the Hysolid website:

Q. Which is better: WAV or FLAC?
A. WAV demands a smaller load from the PC, making it advantageous in terms of sound quality.
For reference: with HYSOLID, when a FLAC file is played, Windows' read cache is always active, but when a WAV file is played, it can be changed (the default is OFF). When it comes to sound quality, read cache OFF is advantageous. Although we have received a feedback saying it sounds better with it turned ON.

I think we know enough now....

Reply #9
X

Reply #10
On a similar topic, does anyone remember the text only audio player that loaded entirely in RAM. My recollection was that it was linux based but that could be wrong?

Reply #11
Well, there is mpd, but that's designed to be a daemon, and there are multiple interfaces for controlling it, including locally. There are even desktop players that are based on mpd, such as PlexAmp.

Reply #12
Nope. That's not it. It wasn't remotely controllable and had no graphics.

Reply #14
I think to remember one of the first minimalistic players people created sick theories why it sounds so pure down to even compiling options for the binaries varying the sound was "Pureplayer"
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #15
I remember the one that fit and was entirely executed from a CPU cache :)
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #17
Sounds like another dick pill for your ears.