Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Are there companies that will rip your CDs? (Read 16250 times) previous topic - next topic

Are there companies that will rip your CDs?

Reply #25
I run a company called Awaken (http://www.awaken.com) that performs this service.  We will convert 100 CD's for as little as $89 including shipping.  You can compare this with RipDigital who charges $129 + shipping as of the time of this post.  With the average CD taking about 10-15 minutes to rip (Reference "Bring Your CDs into the iPod Age, Business Week) we focus on serving individuals who have 100 or more CDs and do not have the time or interest in doing it themselves.  We differentiate ourselves in quite a few ways:

- We offer an option which will organize your CDs into binders and recycle your jewelboxes
- We insure your collection for its full value the entire time it is outside of your possession
- We do not charge extra for high quality formats or sampling rates
- We include shipping in our prices
- We professionally repair damaged CDs free of charge
- We provide a permanent archive of your digital music with every order that allows you to restore your collection in minutes in the case of computer failure or iPod loss
- We will preload a digital music player, external hard drive, or network hard drive with your music

If you email me at cmorace@awaken.com I will give you a code that allows you to take 10% off of your order.  Don't hesitate to contact me at the same address if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Chris

PS:  In answer to some other posts it is illegal to keep copies of the digital music even if you have a copy of the CD.  Legally you need to make a copy of each CD you are sent and return that copy to the owner along with their CD.

Reply #26
A bargain of a service - if you do it well.

Your smart website inspires confidence.

However, your complete confusion of "bitrate" and "sampling rate" throughout your website does not.

Having said that, can you offer this service to Europe? Even if the postage is a little high, given the current $ exchange rate, you're missing a big market if you don't - the price is more than competitive with UK and European based services. Plus I'm sure I can get someone to visit you in California to check that you're for real.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #27
A bargain of a service - if you do it well.

Your smart website inspires confidence.

However, your complete confusion of "bitrate" and "sampling rate" throughout your website does not.

Having said that, can you offer this service to Europe? Even if the postage is a little high, given the current $ exchange rate, you're missing a big market if you don't - the price is more than competitive with UK and European based services. Plus I'm sure I can get someone to visit you in California to check that you're for real.

Cheers,
David.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300086"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

David,

I appreciate your kind words on our service as well as your observations regarding the inaccuracies in our website text.  I'll look into this and make sure it gets corrected.

We do not currently offer our service in Europe primarily due to the shipping costs involved.  Given your feedback on the opportunity, however, I will take another look and reassess the situation.  I'd love to hear any additional thoughts you might have on how to best service the European market--please don't hesitate to email me directly.

As for having someone visit us, our address is on our website and visitors are always welcome!

Thanks for the post,

Chris

Reply #28
@Chris:

What software do you use to rip the CDs? What do you do if the CD cannot easily be ripped even after "repairing" the disc?

Reply #29
@Chris:

What software do you use to rip the CDs? What do you do if the CD cannot easily be ripped even after "repairing" the disc?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300170"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the question.  Our software does true CD digital audio extraction and reads the values directly from the CD in digital form.  The data does not pass through any conversion to analog before being stored as uncompressed audio.  We use different encoders depending on the format desired by our customers (MP3, FLAC, Ogg, AAC, WMA).  All of this is controlled with proprietary Linux software and integrated into the order process where our customers specify their preferences for format and bitrate.  If you have questions on any of the specifics involved please feel free to email me.

As you may know, most CD problems are caused by scratches, abrasion, or grime on the bottom side of the CD (the clear plastic).  These problems are easily fixed with our equipment, which can remove the scratches and repolish the CD.  From that point on your CD will not skip if you play it in a CD player as well--it is truly repaired.

The actual music data is contained on the bottom side of the foil that is underneath the silk screening.  If this foil is nicked the data is actually missing and cannot be replaced.  (You can tell because you will be able to see right throught the disc.)  In these cases there is no way to repair the CD and we will not be able to encode the damaged track(s).  We will include a report that informs the customer of the situation and which CDs/Tracks could not be encoded. 

Please don't hesitate to email me if you have additional questions on specifics or if any of this was :  cmorace@awaken.com

Thanks,

Chris

Reply #30
Just out of curiousity - I've noticed that at certain music stores in the US, there are small portable-looking units mounted at various places in the store with barcode scanners attached.  Walk up to them, scan the disc you want to preview, and it'll automagically play that album.  I know they have this at Barnes & Noble bookstores as well as some other places.  Any idea who performs this service for them?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe [a href="http://www.allmusic.com]http://www.allmusic.com[/url] providies them with their samples.. but I'm not to sure.. I guess this because they use All Music's reviews (which is quite odd for a store to have reviews inside because this could potentially cause someone not to buy a CD because of a bad review) and All Music also has 30  second or so clips..