Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AIFF to Apple Lossless and back? (Read 2736 times) previous topic - next topic

AIFF to Apple Lossless and back?

Newby question: I have an iTunes library of nearly 15,000 AIFFs. It is getting a bit unwieldy, so I would like to convert to Apple Lossless. It would be about half the size.

If I convert back to AIFF in several years, would there be any degradation of the file due to converting back and forth?

Just out of curiosity, how about if you converted back and forth numerous times?

Thanks to all for a great forum.

Ed

Post Script!

I just found this quote at: http://members.home.nl/w.speek/comparison.htm

Decoding of the Apple Lossless files was done with QuickTime Pro 6.5.1 (Export -> Sound to Wave). The decoded files were not bit-identical to the original WAVE files. Comparing the WAVE files with Exact Audio Copy showed that the decoded Apple files were a few (less than 100) samples shorter than the original files.

What do you think?

Reply #1
there'll be no degradation because apple lossless is lossless.

Reply #2
Just out of curiosity, how about if you converted back and forth numerous times?

Only the chance of datacorruption that might happen to any data that are moved around alot (hardwarefailures, bad RAM, packetloss when sending files over network, whatever). In itself conversion back and forth between Aiff, Wav, etc. and any lossless codec should be without any loss or degradation, whatsoever. But ofcourse, for the sake of Murphys' law, you might want to look into stuff like MD5, PAR2, and such.....
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts