Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: itunes 5.0.1.4 - ripping problem to Apple Lossless (Read 3127 times) previous topic - next topic

itunes 5.0.1.4 - ripping problem to Apple Lossless

Weird this. I ripped The Cure's 1989 Disintegration from my original CD using itunes 5.0.1.4. I ripped to Apple Lossless with skip detection etc. No problems during procedure.

Later on, I found that the track Fascination Street was messed up with heavy crackly noise all over the track. Unlistenable. A couple of other tracks were affected too. So I ripped the same CD again using Cdex - going to MP3 192 CBR and it was fine. No problems and all the audio was crisp and clean.

I ripped yet again using itunes and it was the same crackly mess. What the hell?

Anyone got "Disintegration" - can you check this out? Is it just my CD? It looks fine and Cdex can read it no prob. I'm confused.

Thanks

Reply #1
There's three parts here and it seems like you need to figure out where the problem is introduced:

1. Ripper. Try using iTunes to rip to WAV. Is there crackling in the WAV (using a player other than iTunes)? If so, iTunes ripper is to blame.

2. Encoder. Use another program to rip to WAV, verify the WAV is good, encode it to lossless using iTunes. Does the lossless have that crackly noise?

3. Player: Play the songs in iTunes and in another player (foobar). Does the crackly noise only occur when playing using iTunes?

Reply #2
omg that's creepy -
i'm ripping _the cure/disintegration_ with k3b as i found this thread

to be helpful, i didn't have any problems the first time (i'm ripping at work, again)

later

Reply #3
Thanks for the tips. I did it again in WAV and it was fine. Playing in iTunes or Winamp. So I ripped again in apple lossless and it worked fine. Must've been a blip the first time round.

I've whizzed through a lot of the lossless collection and thankfully, they all seem fine.

There's three parts here and it seems like you need to figure out where the problem is introduced:

1. Ripper. Try using iTunes to rip to WAV. Is there crackling in the WAV (using a player other than iTunes)? If so, iTunes ripper is to blame.

2. Encoder. Use another program to rip to WAV, verify the WAV is good, encode it to lossless using iTunes. Does the lossless have that crackly noise?

3. Player: Play the songs in iTunes and in another player (foobar). Does the crackly noise only occur when playing using iTunes?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=334079"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]