Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Long Ripping (Read 5996 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC Long Ripping

Hey. I am trying to rip track 17 on the album Cheers by Obie Trice (secure mode). The file is supposed to be 40.884 MB (uncompressed wave). It ripped to about 36% before it said it had a read error, and a sync error. Now, six and a half hours later, it is still ripping (VERY slowly). Is this the normal time it takes to rip an errored song?

EAC Long Ripping

Reply #1
I don't think so, and it may even damage your ripping drive if it has been doing so for 6 hours continuously. In cases like this, it may well be better to rip in burst mode, and then manually check the ripped wave for glitches.

EAC Long Ripping

Reply #2
Unluckily for you you're dealing with a quite demolished CD. Have you examined the surface?
fisngerprint? hole in the datalayer? circumlangular scratch? dirtspot?
Take a peice of fine cloth and rub the surface invards-out to remove eventual spots of dirt etc. never in an circumangular motion.

EAC Long Ripping

Reply #3
I left it to rip overnight. This morning, I listened to it, and it is mixed up. I tried listening to it in EAC, and that is how the CD plays. When I tried the CD on my boombox, it played fine.  Could my drive be the problem? I will try to rip it on my friends computer later today. I will let you know.

EAC Long Ripping

Reply #4
If it isn't damaged, then it might be protected, e.g. some missing sync markers.
The boombox interpolates over the error and plays it correctly.

BTW, what drive are you using?
e.g. my old Hitachi GD-2500 had problems with one of my CDs, but all other drives ripped it flawlessly.
(That drive had seemingly broken audio error correction - if it couldn't get it right the first time, it inserted a blank)
ruxvilti'a

EAC Long Ripping

Reply #5
The drive is TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1902B.

I checked all protected CD lists, and the CD was not on the list.

I ripped a different CD this morning, and it only took 20 minutes.

EAC Long Ripping

Reply #7
Yes, have a search on this forum

I should add that success is not guaranteed though (far from that actually).
The main factor is your drive (certain drives can handle protected disks well), then there are other things you can try such as detecting the TOC and lowering your drive's read spead - to give you an impression. Again, better search. You might even find a thread describing how your protection type was 'defeated'.