Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ape image (+cuesheet) to single ape tracks (Read 29865 times) previous topic - next topic

Ape image (+cuesheet) to single ape tracks

Hi to all.

Is there a program to cut a big ape file (image+cuesheet) into individual ape (with tag) DIRECTLY and not into wave which need to compress again?

Maybe shntool (but to me it's a bit difficult to use)?

many thanks.

Reply #1
Foobar.

Reply #2
Foobar.

Ape tracks directly (and not into wave)? Are you sure? Do you know how to set up the foobar's Converter section? (i downloaded mac.exe with stdin support from shntool site).

Thanks

Reply #4
As far as I understand it, everything has to decompress the APE into PCM WAV, regardless if you see the temporary file or not.

We cover APE to * it seems every month.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #5
well, it has to decode APE to WAV, yes - but it may not use a temporary file and pipe stdout to stdin (directly to the new encoder).

shntool IS a good tool for this (shnconv)

later

Reply #6
well, it has to decode APE to WAV, yes - but it may not use a temporary file and pipe stdout to stdin (directly to the new encoder).

shntool IS a good tool for this (shnconv)

...as is foobar2000.

Reply #7
Edit: If you are using the shntool version then I guess you could (IIRC) replace "%s" with "-", i.e.:

Code: [Select]
- %d -c2000

It doesn't works (- %d -c2000): foobar 0.9.5 writes the single ape file (converter with mac.exe, version 3.99u4 from shntool website) but it's not playable.

%s %d -c2000 works fine.

thanks

Reply #8
Oh, I didn't see that you're going from .ape to .ape.

So that's right, the special build of Monkey's Audio works with shntool but does not work with foobar2000 when encoding from stdin. foo_input_monkey.dll, OTOH does allow you to decode to other formats without writing an interim wave file.

Sorry about that.

Did you try using the Monkey's Audio GUI to create individual tracks using .apl files?

Reply #9
Did you try using the Monkey's Audio GUI to create individual tracks using .apl files?

No, 'cause i don't want to install anything (portable apps only, i hate apps that write to registry, to sys folders like %userprofile%, %appdata%, etc.).
What is the makeapl.exe latest version? Is it possible to use it without to install the entire monkey's audio package?
Anyway, foobar works fine, thanks 

Reply #10
You can make APL files from the foobar.
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #11
You can make APL files from the foobar.

No, I haven't the "Write APL link files" option (foobar 0.9.5 and foo_input_monkey 2.1.2 ).

thanks

Reply #12
If you have a cuesheet, you can also use the program CueSplitter; that's what I've used for a while, and I've never had it fail me yet.

Reply #13
You should be able to pipe data directly to mac.exe now (i.e. "- %d -c2000" should work).  See this post for details.

Reply #14
You should be able to pipe data directly to mac.exe now (i.e. "- %d -c2000" should work).

Hi.

I tested with foobar 0.9.5.1 and your new mac.exe build.

Loaded (into foobar) cuesheet+ape image:

1- converted/extracted track 2 into a single ape file (File A) with these settings: %s %d -c3000

2- converted/extracted track 2 into a single ape file (File B) with these settings: - %d -c3000

It worked but File A and File B have different Foobar's Audio MD5 (hash of the audio stream only). Is it normal?

Thanks

Reply #15
If you decide, you will install something anyway, Monkey's Audio has it's own tool for making APLs, typically the exe resides here: "C:\Program Files\Monkey's Audio\Tools\MakeAPL.exe"
lame -V 0

Reply #16

You should be able to pipe data directly to mac.exe now (i.e. "- %d -c2000" should work).

I tested with foobar 0.9.5.1 and your new mac.exe build.

Loaded (into foobar) cuesheet+ape image:

1- converted/extracted track 2 into a single ape file (File A) with these settings: %s %d -c3000

2- converted/extracted track 2 into a single ape file (File B) with these settings: - %d -c3000

It worked but File A and File B have different Foobar's Audio MD5 (hash of the audio stream only). Is it normal?

It's probably a bug, especially if the audio hashes reported by "shntool hash" differ as well.  (If the shntool hashes match, I would be very interested to see your sample cuesheet)

I will play around with this a bit more to see what I missed.      In the meantime, I'll put the old mac.exe back on the website and mark this new build as experimental.  Thanks!

Reply #17
It's not a bug.

I don't know how it gets this hash, but foobar's "Audio MD5" is not the md5 for decompressed audio data.  I think its what Monkey's Audio uses for its quick verify routine but I could never confirm this.

Just as a quick test I took a wave file converted it using -c2000 and -c3000 and got different checksums.

You can always bit-compare decompressed wave files to be sure.

Reply #18
Hmm.  Well, then perhaps it's just a bug in mac.exe's MD5 calculation?  I assume your files checked out with a bit-comparison test.

Is this bug unique to my test version of mac.exe, or does it occur in other versions?  If the former, I'll try to fix it; if the latter, I can relax. 

Reply #19
You can relax (I haven't downloaded your version yet ).

I'm certain it's not a bug with MAC.  If it's the hash I think it is then it's for the compressed data.

Reply #20
I'm certain it's not a bug with MAC.  If it's the hash I think it is then it's for the compressed data.

MAC's internal digest is that of the compressed data indeed, I recently took a look at the source code. That's also how I figured out why the verify option of the command-line application involves decoding of the audio, while I had read about a quick verify feature: for some reason that feature is disabled. It can be enabled by changing "bQuickVerifyIfPossible = FALSE" to "bQuickVerifyIfPossible = TRUE" in src/MACLib/MACLib.h, line 440.

Reply #21
Thanks for the info.  I've always wondered about this.

If anything the user should have the option (eg. -v for full verification, -vq for quick verification).

Reply #22
Thanks for the info.  I've always wondered about this.

If anything the user should have the option (eg. -v for full verification, -vq for quick verification).

The user now has the option. 

Version 3.99-u4-b5-s3 (that's a mouthful) re-enables quick verification, via a new '-q' option ('-v' will still do full verification).

MAC's internal digest is that of the compressed data indeed, I recently took a look at the source code. That's also how I figured out why the verify option of the command-line application involves decoding of the audio, while I had read about a quick verify feature: for some reason that feature is disabled. It can be enabled by changing "bQuickVerifyIfPossible = FALSE" to "bQuickVerifyIfPossible = TRUE" in src/MACLib/MACLib.h, line 440.

Actually it turns out that the MAC internal digest is basically comprised of everything BUT the compressed audio data (i.e. APE metainfo, seek tables, WAVE header, and trailing data).  That's what allows it to be quick.

Good catch on the bQuickVerifyIfPossible code... I modified MAC based on your info.  Thanks!

Reply #23
This seems to contradict my findings.  If I alter any data in the middle of a file the GUI's quick verify will fail (as it should).  If I alter metadata the quick verify will still pass.  Maybe there's something I'm not fully understanding which wouldn't be the first time, nor will it be the last.

Looking forward to checking out the new version. 

Thanks!

Reply #24
This seems to contradict my findings.  If I alter any data in the middle of a file the GUI's quick verify will fail (as it should).  If I alter metadata the quick verify will still pass.

Same here.