Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 96KHz 24bit FLAC encoding problem (Read 10671 times) previous topic - next topic

96KHz 24bit FLAC encoding problem

Hi

I have encountered a problem while trying to encode a 96KHz 24bits WAV file using FLAC

During the encoding process, I only encounter two warnings:

Always In My Heart 96 24.wav: WARNING: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'fact' (use --
keep-foreign-metadata to keep)
Always In My Heart 96 24.wav: 99% complete, ratio=0.630Always In My Heart 96 24.
wav: WARNING: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'LIST' (use --keep-foreign-metadata to
keep)

a FLAC file is created. However, when I try to play it on Foobar and Winamp, it can only play for a few seconds and error occurs claiming that the file is corrupted.

What is the problem?

I use foobar to convert the file again with the same result.

Thanks on advance.

Frankie Chung

Reply #1
What happens if you encode using "--keep-foreign-metadata" ?

Reply #6
Thank you everyone for your kind responds.

Thanks a lot.

Reply #7
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=518661

I think the foobar decoder is not using libflac 1.2.x yet

Now I am confused. Aren't the files encoded with v.1.2.x supposed to be backwards compatible when the --
keep-foreign-metadata switch is not used.

EDIT

I reread the post you linked - so the problem is not necessarily related to the "-- keep foreign metadata switch" and it exists with any 24-bit files. It is a bit unfortunate that the new 24-bit mode is always used. I would preferred a switch. For example, there is no way to update the foobar decoder if the OS is Windows 2000 Pro (Foobar 0.9.5 works only on XP and newer.)

Reply #8
Perhaps you can use old v1.1.4 encoder?

Reply #9
Perhaps you can use old v1.1.4 encoder?

Of course that would be possible.

I am speaking more in general terms than trying to find a solution to a specific problem. IMO, it would be always better to try to maintain backwards compatibilty when only usual basic switches are used. I understand that new features may need to break backwards compatibility, but that should be optional if possible.

Reply #10
backwards compatibility means a decoder can decode streams made from all previous versions.  you're talking about forwards compatibility.  no lossless codec I'm aware of has remained forward-compatible throughout its lifetime but flac has stayed pretty close.  except for this rice2 case which is only encounted in resolutions >16bps, a flac 1.0 decoder can still decode streams made by the current encoder.

Reply #11
backwards compatibility means a decoder can decode streams made from all previous versions.  you're talking about forwards compatibility.  no lossless codec I'm aware of has remained forward-compatible throughout its lifetime but flac has stayed pretty close.  except for this rice2 case which is only encounted in resolutions >16bps, a flac 1.0 decoder can still decode streams made by the current encoder.

If I were to nitpick I would say I meant that the FLAC files should be backwards compatible with older decoder versions.

However, your explanation is reasonable and it is good that the most common 16/44.1 files work with old decoder versions. I suppose there are a lot of decoders in various programs and HW devices that won't be updated anytime soon, if ever.

Reply #12
However, your explanation is reasonable and it is good that the most common 16/44.1 files work with old decoder versions. I suppose there are a lot of decoders in various programs and HW devices that won't be updated anytime soon, if ever.

Which means it might be good to have the option in the new encoder of generating files (with > 16 bits) that use the old Rice encoder. That way if someone had an existing program or device that wasn't getting updated, they wouldn't have to keep an old version of the encoder around (that might not work on 64-bit Vista SP4). 

Reply #13
true.  afaik every device that supports 24-bit flac has upgradeable firmware and had a decoder out before I publicly release 1.2.0.  but that might help with legacy s/w.

Reply #14
Decoding failure at 0:13.696 (Unsupported format or corrupted file):
"C:\Users\keith\Music\2L38SACD_tr1_mch_96kHz.flac"

Is this the same problem as I am getting, trying to playback in Foobar .945 this multichannel flac file from this website?