Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Fully MP3 compliant Hardware MP3-CD players (Read 51082 times) previous topic - next topic

Fully MP3 compliant Hardware MP3-CD players

Reply #25
philips expanium is great (ive just bought a 521 to replace my 303), plays everything i've ever tried - and that's a lot!, but what's with the pop at the start of some mp3s (that isn't there when played on the PC?). anyone know?

Reply #26
i killed the thread? sorry

Reply #27
I have a Sony D-NE510, never had any problems with it... --aps --apx it doesen't matter, it plays great.

Reply #28
Will there ever be another MP3 CD player as good as iRiver devices are? The only iRiver I've had problems with is their iMP-900 (it jumps ahead two files at any time, for no reason at all), and they are now giving me a hard time giving me at least a new unit, let alone a complete refund of 180 USD + shipping that I paid 11 months ago. I really wish something better was out, preferrably something that would play DVD as well.

I'm so used to iRiver's VERY high level of customisability since 2002 that I wonder if I could ever go back to the Sony stuff that I used before. I quickly found out that most Panasonic units can't FF/REW through MP3s, nor resume, and that's something very important for me, as I have many MP3s over 2 hours long (DJ mixes).

Since late 2004, iRiver has completely discontinued all of their CD players and older 'do-it-all' iHP-/H-series and now have these (crappy useless) portable media players and (OK) HDD devices that are small and lack the dozens of features that their older stuff has.

I wonder what to do should my 2-to-4-year-old iRiver units iMP-550 and iMP-150 go (and you know stuff eventually _does_ die). iRiver units did it all when it comes to MP3-CD players. No other manufacturer comes close. Thier iMP-1100, which was sold in very limited quantities in 2004 in only Europe & Asia, even had a colour screen and played MPEG-4 video and I think JPEG & BMP images too, alongside the rest of the stuff their previous iMP line does.

So does anyone want to revive this thread to reflect today's (2005--2006+) MP3 CD climate? There _is_ a sizable amount of people who still use CD players for MP3 use. I personally would love a slim portable CD-sized DVD-MP3 player that could do all that iRiver stuff does. Shame they never went down that route. Forget about complete ID3 tags, folder browsing + next-track-queueing during playback WMA, and _any_ Ogg Vorbis support on any DVD players that play MP3.

Thanks very much...

Reply #29
Iriver products (like the SlimX) rock. You really can't find a better MP3-CD player at any price.

Can I momentarily turn the argument around and advise you on what NOT to buy? Please don't even consider anything by Sony. The one model that I had for about 2 hours   , DJ101 (or something like that) couldn't fast forward or rewind through tracks, took forever to boot up with regular ISO 9600 CD-R's, and wouldn't play VBR or frames above 192kbps properly. Needless to say, after trying to play an --aps disc, I took it back to Wal*Mart and got a refund. Worst part is that it did so little and still cost almost as much as the SlimX (which I later bought before getting a HDD player)! I've recently seen the SlimX on eBay (brand new) for as little as $90! You can't go wrong.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=67933"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you mean the D-CJ01. I did hear that was a VERY bad device. I think all future Sony stuff, like their D-NExxxx line, works fine, though.

Reply #30
I'll be the first to pull it out
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #31
I'll be the first to pull it out

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340169"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pull _what_ out?

Reply #32
I've just started burning Mp3's instead of regular audio.  And I've noticed a lot of problems.  When I'd burn audio discs, I might burn 15 or 20 discs before I ran into one I had to do over.  Now with the Mp3's, about every 2 or 3 discs I run into problems and have to burn it over, sometimes more than once.  From reading this thread, I'm getting the idea that a lot of Mp3 players really aren't as reliable as regular audio players.  Could this be the reason I'm having so much trouble?  I thought it was me or something.  :-)  I have a Sony 400 disc changer,  CDP-CX455.  It plays audio discs fine, but Mp3's are iffy.  I just finished two different ones, and when you get to the last 40 or so songs on the disc, they start cutting out for 2 or 3 seconds.  If you back it up to recheck it, it doesn't do it again, but it will do it in a different spot later.  Any suggestions?  Thanks,  Hoop

Reply #33
In 2001 sometime my brother bought a Riovolt PSX100 MP3 CD player for something like $150. I cannot remember when(2004?)but he bought an iaudio x5 20gb and gave me the Riovolt. After a while the iaudio had problems with battery life and he had to order a new custom battery from the manufacturer since most modern hd mp3 players as an "awesome feature" do not use standard AA or AAA batteries but custom and built in rechargeable batteries. Now for some reason the hd does not work either.

The Riovolt Psx100 is still working on the other hand. That thing has been dropped too many times on concrete and it still works. The batteries are two standard AA, which means you can take advantage of the numerous companies making 15 minute rechargeable batteries and not have to worry about costly battery replacements if they are even available down the line for those "blessed" with the custom battery feature. It also has a green backlight display that automatically goes on when it is dark. It lets you navigate files and directories and displays ID3 tags. For the last five or so CDs that are put in it remembers what track or mp3 file you left off at continues from there. On my Philips DVP-5960 DVD player on the other hand if I want to resume watching a DVD I literally write down where I am at on the movie to be able to resume later.

The cons of this player is that the skip protection sucks, you cannot really use it to walk with especially with audio CDs. It is big and bulky a little too bulky for the pockets(but you can manage it) and discontinued. I would like to get a newer CD mp3 player but all the newer Slimx's by Iriver have the so called built in custom rechargeable battery feature which will make the odds of any such player having a useful life of over 6 years a huge doubt. The huge manufacturers like Sony and Philips on the other hand do not even seem to think support for navigating your mp3s with anything other than track number is necessary.

Reply #34
Well, Creative Labs MuVo TX512 SE plays all mp3s I throw at him, also my Pioneer DVD575.
Error 404; signature server not available.