Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Apple Lossless to MP3 (LAME)? (Read 6240 times) previous topic - next topic

Apple Lossless to MP3 (LAME)?

Sorry to through out what is most likely a noob question, but my searches left me with nothing. 

I recently purchased an iPod 30g for use in my car with a Dice Electronics iPod integration unit for my new Audi A4.  I really only use the iPod in the garage on my boombox or in the car.

Since purchasing the iPod I now use iTunes to manage my MP3's.  I really like iTunes as it does what I need it to do.  I have my entire music collection ripped using EAC/LAME with different versions over the past 4 years.  My MP3's are encoded at 256k VBR.

I recently purchased a Roku M2000 SoundBridge as an upgrade from my Audiotron.  Since the Roku can handle lossless formats, I've recently decided to switch to Apple lossless (ALAC) and re-rip my entire collection.  I'm happy with the ALAC, but since I want a compressed format for the iPod and my Auditron will really only play .wav, MP3, or WMA, I want to have ALAC for my home and LAME MP3 for the rest. 

My question is this:  how can I best transcode from ALAC to LAME MP3?  I would prefer to have the best quality possible from the MP3's.  I'm thinking of staying in the 256K VBR.

Thanks.

Reply #2
Thanks for the links.  I'll give it try.

Reply #3
foobar2000 contains a useful preset in the converter plugin for mp3s if you don't feel like using command line.