Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AudioSAFE (Read 152947 times) previous topic - next topic

AudioSAFE

Reply #100
~300KBit/sec is a pretty typical upload speed for most broadband connections, unless you've upgraded to a faster (read more expensive) package.

Right now it's 10Mbit/sec. At night it's around 50Mbit/sec.

Just looking at mine...

It seems if I set the upload to 100%, then it's pretty stable at around 1Mbs/s (my max upload is 1.5Mb/s).  If I set it to throttle at anything less than 100%, then it bounces around all over the place.

flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

AudioSAFE

Reply #101
If you are running Windows 7 then open 'Resource Monitor' and look on the network tab, this can show actual network bandwidth graphs, if you can post a screen shot to show the bouncing at 50%

AudioSAFE

Reply #102
I'm running Windows XP SP3 Professional (vanilla, not patched, not cracked, not modified in any way) under VirtualBox 4.1.0 (Host OS is Linux). Windows XP sole network adapter works at 100Mbit/sec.

According to speedtest I have up to 10Mbit upload/download speed (depending on a server location - some sites in Europe are really slow, some are fast).

AudioSAFE

Reply #105
I have just updated the server with slightly different code on the receive, you connection to AudioSAFE might go down for a few minutes whilst it establishes a new connection. Let me know please if it helps upload speed.

AudioSAFE

Reply #106
Please send one of the mp3 files which was giving issues on the first run.

AudioSAFE

Reply #107
This is how uploading works here: www. media fire. com/?k3wd753jrrxlru1 (remove spaces in the link).

I'm sorry I have forgotten which files which caused errors.

Your server tweaks haven't helped at all, unfortunately.

AudioSAFE

Reply #108
If you are running Windows 7 then open 'Resource Monitor' and look on the network tab, this can show actual network bandwidth graphs, if you can post a screen shot to show the bouncing at 50%

I'll have to wait until this evening.  To give you an idea, it looked like a sawtooth waveform.

AudioSAFE

Reply #109

I remoted into my home machine.  It's a pretty crappy screenshot, but you can see the difference.  About halfway through I changed from 90% to 100%, and you can see it level off. Interestingly, it's not using the full 1.5Mb/s even when set to 100%.

AudioSAFE

Reply #110
Funnily AudioSafe works fine under Wine but it's quite unusable under virtualized Windows XP (for six hours it uploaded just around 100MB of data).

AudioSAFE

Reply #111
It seems like uploads are throttled at 4Mbit/sec 'cause my client never exceeds this speed. It's a little bit sad 'cause I can upload at almost 15 times this limitation.

AudioSAFE

Reply #112
It seems like uploads are throttled at 4Mbit/sec 'cause my client never exceeds this speed. It's a little bit sad 'cause I can upload at almost 15 times this limitation.

So...500GB=511999MB at 4MB/Sec=about 128,000 sec=36 hours to upload....pretty costly for time and $$ from ISP.

Easier to save to hard drive and put at work in cabinet?

Until people get upload speeds=download speeds for reasonable cost I am not sure the value of cloud storage for the average user at present.

Nice idea, but economies of scale are not there yet...of course early adopters are willing to PAY.  I could see it being useful for me if I had fiber optic both ways from my house to cloud server, but this is not a reality yet.

AudioSAFE

Reply #113
You calculations are really off the mark.

500GB = 500 000MB

500 000 * 8 / 4 / 3600 / 24 = 11 days 14 hours.

AudioSAFE

Reply #114
Your calculations are closer to the mark.

500GB = 512000 MB therefore 11 days 20.44 hours. 
daefeatures.co.uk

AudioSAFE

Reply #115
So...500GB=511999MB at 4MB/Sec=about 128,000 sec=36 hours to upload....pretty costly for time and $$ from ISP.

Easier to save to hard drive and put at work in cabinet?

Until people get upload speeds=download speeds for reasonable cost I am not sure the value of cloud storage for the average user at present.

Nice idea, but economies of scale are not there yet...of course early adopters are willing to PAY.  I could see it being useful for me if I had fiber optic both ways from my house to cloud server, but this is not a reality yet.

I have the feeling that most people who pay for broadband (not mobile) do not pay based on usage, so there are no extra payments above existing.

Unless you are doubling your music collection over a monthly period, the fact it takes a couple of weeks to upload does not effect the end result - that is all your files are backed up.

AudioSAFE

Reply #116
I have the feeling that most people who pay for broadband (not mobile) do not pay based on usage, so there are no extra payments above existing.

In the US, many ISP's have put on monthly caps in the last couple of years.  For Comcast I believe it's 200GB/month.

Apparent motivation is that Hulu, online netflix, etc are cutting into their cable TV business, so the caps prevent you from using internet as your primary video source.

AudioSAFE

Reply #117
Caps are common on cheaper packages in the UK too, though they don't apply between midnight and 6am on mine.

It's a very interesting concept Spoon. HA sounds like one of the best places to "sell" it.

FWIW DV+HD home movies are my biggest data headache (25Mbps - hours of the things!). Ripped audio (even lossless) is pretty small in comparison.

Cheers,
David.

AudioSAFE

Reply #118
Caps are common in Germany too.

I think it would be very desireable not only to be albe to limit bandwith in % but also to have an option to limit bandwidth by mb/day and also by time (e.g. only allow upload at night)

AudioSAFE

Reply #119
And let's not forget that as spoon's database grows, an increasing percentage of the files will not actually need to be uploaded, lowering the bandwidth requirements.

Nonetheless, I think it would be worth adding more flexibility to the uploading, limiting to certain times of day/days of week, etc.

AudioSAFE

Reply #120
And let's not forget that as spoon's database grows, an increasing percentage of the files will not actually need to be uploaded, lowering the bandwidth requirements.

That's certainly the case for a more mainstream collection. However, a large part of my collection consists of rare bootlegs and independent releases which exist in a quantity of 100 or less. I doubt there will be much to deduplicate here...

Let's hope that there will be at least some users with a mainstream music collection so the service can remain affordable

EDIT: Hey, I have an idea! The client could calculate a number, the higher the larger quantity of your collection is deduplicateable and the more the data is related to other users. It would be the ultimate measure for the peculiarity of your own taste: 1 = totally bizarre, 100 = top of the pops

AudioSAFE

Reply #121
EDIT: Hey, I have an idea! The client could calculate a number, the higher the larger quantity of your collection is deduplicateable and the more the data is related to other users. It would be the ultimate measure for the peculiarity of your own taste: 1 = totally bizarre, 100 = top of the pops

If shared publicly such a statistic could create a perverse incentive to either game the system with bogus uploads or rip with false offsets and bizarre encoder settings .    Either way the incentive would work against spoon's interest (deduplication).
Creature of habit.

AudioSAFE

Reply #122
Caps are common in Germany too.

I think it would be very desireable not only to be albe to limit bandwith in % but also to have an option to limit bandwidth by mb/day and also by time (e.g. only allow upload at night)

Very good idea. You will also be willing to allot a higher % of your upstream if you're not actually using the computer (i.e. in the middle of the night)

AudioSAFE

Reply #123
You calculations are really off the mark.

500GB = 500 000MB

500 000 * 8 / 4 / 3600 / 24 = 11 days 14 hours.

Actually, 500 GB = (500 * 1024) = 512 000 MB