Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to convert ogg flac file to wav (Read 2193 times) previous topic - next topic

How to convert ogg flac file to wav

There's an mkv file I have that the audio, according to Mediafile, is ogg-flac.

How can I do to convert it to wav or AC3? My FLAC Frontend program is not recognizing it and says there's a sync error.

VLC plays it, but I need to convert it.

How to convert ogg flac file to wav

Reply #1
I've never had my hands on that format...  If you are going to mess-around with odd formats, or randomly downloaded formats, you should probably load-up on conversion tools & CODECS, etc.  Sometimes, you just have to try a bunch of conversion programs 'till you find one that works.

...to wav or AC3?
AC3 isn't popular as a stand-alone format either.    Unless you are making a DVD or you've got a really good reason to use AC3, I recommend sticking with something more standard    (WAV, FLAC, AAC, MP3, or  audio CD).    I use AC3 files for DVDs all the time, but I never use them for "listening"...  Once the DVD is done, I either delete the AC3 file, or archive it with the other resource files for the DVD. 

VLC plays it, but I need to convert it.
I've never used VLC to convert files, but it's one of its features.  I found this page showing how to convert audio/video files, and I assume it will work on audio-only files.

When I run across a "problem" audio/video file (usually an A/V file from a "still" camera), SUPER can often transcode or re-encode it.      (If you try it, make sure to download SUPER...  Their website is tricky...  Don't get fooled by the ads for other software on the site.)