Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: libvorbis.dll, BeSweet, and CoreVorbis (Read 6469 times) previous topic - next topic

libvorbis.dll, BeSweet, and CoreVorbis

In the past I used OggDS with BeSweet for encoding movie audio, but now I'm looking at libvorbis.dll. I'm also switching from OGM to Matroska, and possibly from OggDS to CoreVorbis for playback. I had a few questions before I start ripping, though:

1) The GT3b2 version of libvorbis.dll seems to be the one to use, according to QuantumKnot's recommendations, but the aoTuV version of the encoder is the one competing in the big ABX test. Is there a "libvorbis.dll using aoTuV" version available somewhere? Is one on the horizon?

2) Are there any known problems with Ogg files encoded by BeSweet using the GT3b2 version of libvorbis.dll?

3) Are there any known problems with using CoreVorbis to play back such files?

4) Is Q6 still the lowest quality setting at which stereo coupling is lossless with GT3b2?

5) My tentative plan is to use BeSweet + libvorbis.dll GT3b2 for encoding at Q5 for main audio and Q1 for commentary tracks on 2CD rips. Does this seem like a sensible plan?

A couple of these questions might be best asked at Doom9 or CoreCodec but I wanted to know what you guys have to say. Thanks in advance!

Reply #1
2. No
3. No, they are just standard vorbis files.
5. I'd use q0 for commentary.

Reply #2
5. you might even want to try aotuv @ q -2 (~45kbps) for commentary - it gives pretty impressive results...

Reply #3
1). No, there isn't an aoTuV libvorbis.dll at the present time. Once there is a final released version of the modified source, creation of the dll is a simple exercise.

The libvorbis.dll is nothing more than an amalgamation of the four separate dlls that you would normally get. Considering many people will want to use the dlls for both encoding and decoding, it seemed simpler to me to require only one dll rather than four. 

Using this dll provides identical output, whether encoding or decoding, compared to the standard set of dlls, or any other use of the libraries when statically linked.

Reply #4
5) My tentative plan is to use BeSweet + libvorbis.dll GT3b2 for encoding at Q5 for main audio and Q1 for commentary tracks on 2CD rips. Does this seem like a sensible plan?

If you are doing a 2 CD rip, I would certainly keep the ac3 tracks as they are.  I suppose if it is a 5.1 mix, and the movie is near 3 hours in length, I might drop back to using vorbis... but a q5 vorbis on a standard stereo 192kbps ac3 seems a pointless transcode to me.

As for the commentary, I used to encode mono q1, but recently I have shifted to encoding mono vbr HE-AAC.  Saves a lot more space.
-CTB

Reply #5
Going with mono on the commentary and leaving the ac3 uncompressed if it's 192kbps are both very good ideas. I'll do some listening tests with GT3b2 on mono at q1 and below and see how low I can go.

Reply #6
leaving the ac3 uncompressed if it's 192kbps are both very good ideas

keeping ac3 only makes sense if you want to keep multichannel/want to play the file in a standalone player

i for myself never kept a 2.0 ac3. for me it doesnt make any sense, i always transcoded to 96kbps vorbis which gives me more bitrate for the video stream
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)