Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC with brand new CD; sync errors in secure ripping, timing errors with burst (Read 3449 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC with brand new CD; sync errors in secure ripping, timing errors with burst

Hello all, first time on the forums and would greatly appreciate some advice from those more seasoned in ripping CDs using EAC, as this is my first time using the program.

I'm currently in the process of re-ripping my modest CD collection to FLAC format on my PC. I'm so nearly finished - I finally see light at the end of a long tunnel! - but I've hit one CD I bought as a present to myself this Xmas that's giving me a real headache. It's brand spanking new, no faults visible to the eye on close inspection. EAC is correctly set up thanks to the very helpful hydrogenaudio wiki and has taken everything I've thrown at it so far like an absolute champ.

The album in question is the extended edition soundtrack for the video game Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (unfortunately not common enough that I can search to see if anyone else has had the same problems with it!) and spans two discs. Disc 2 seems fine, though I haven't worked with it much yet as disc 1 is proving a nightmare.

In secure ripping mode, EAC chews on the first track of the first disc for an absolute age - the estimated time to complete the rip of the whole disc ends up at something ridiculous like 21 hours! - and the error detection bars fill up steadily, over and over. After a short while of trying, the status log notes a Sync Error for the first track as it continues to gnaw away at it. Needless to say, I cancelled the rip.

I've tried switching to burst mode and ripped the disc that way. Tracks 1 though 5 report 2-5 timing errors each in various places and can't be verified as accurate. The remaining 10 tracks verify as accurate, though tracks 8 and 15 also report timing errors. At the end of the log, it reports 'no errors occured.' Erm...what?!

The music plays directly from the CD without any issue on PC at least, and I have to say I can't hear any errors in the noted places from the burst rip (I'm due to upgrade from my truly crappy headphones this weekend to something yummy, so we'll see how they sound on some decent equipment!)

It's not much of a comparison test, I know, but WMP ripped the first track to FLAC with no problems. Unfortunately I don't have another drive I can try ripping this particular album on, otherwise that would of course be my next step.

Does it sound to you more experienced EAC users like I have a bad CD? Could it be a copy protection that's getting in my way?

I'm leaning toward returning it to Amazon and asking for a replacement. Maybe the second album might have the same problem too...but at least then I'd know it's an issue with the CDs and that there's nothing else I can do about it. Just so frustrating to have ripped the entirety of my little collection without issue, apart from ONE! And I was so looking forward to this album, too :(

Re: EAC with brand new CD; sync errors in secure ripping, timing errors with burst

Reply #1
I've tried switching to burst mode...At the end of the log, it reports 'no errors occured.' Erm...what?!
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/support/faq/extraction-questions/
When using burst mode, EAC also shows up timing problems, are these really errors or what?
No, burst mode has no error detection nor error correction. If burst mode brings up a timing problem, the read command needed a lot of time, which could have several reasons, like loosing sync or trying to fix an read error. Of course this is a really poor “error detection” and should not be taken as serious indication.

I still like to see the full extraction logfile so I'll leave the comments/suggestions to someone else.
korth

Re: EAC with brand new CD; sync errors in secure ripping, timing errors with burst

Reply #2
It's brand spanking new, no faults visible to the eye on close inspection.
The pits that make-up the ones & zeros are microscopic so you can't always see errors.   Also, the data layer is on the top side and it's read through the full-thickness of the polycarbonate so it can damaged from either side.    But, it's more-likely a pressing defect than a scratch that occurred after manufacture. 

Does it sound to you more experienced EAC users like I have a bad CD?
Yes and no...  Technically, it's not defective if it plays OK on a CD player.   CDs are not designed & sold to be ripped and there is no guarantee that the digital data is correct.

But amazon will probably take it back.   They aren't going to take the time to listen to it.    Sometimes  Amazon gives you a free download when you buy a CD (AutoRip).   Is that not the case with this one?

Could it be a copy protection that's getting in my way?
As far as I know, copy protection for CDs doesn't exist anymore...  It was a short-term experiment that failed.   And, you said one CD ripped OK.   They aren't going to copy protect one CD in a set of two.

If you're not hearing any errors, I say try not to worry about it!    It's nice to get a perfect digital copy and it's reassuring when AccurateRip confirms there are no errors, but CDs are for listening and they don't have to be digitally perfect as long as they sound perfect.

I have to say I can't hear any errors in the noted places from the burst rip (I'm due to upgrade from my truly crappy headphones this weekend to something yummy, so we'll see how they sound on some decent equipment!)
It's unlikely that any new headphones/equipment will bring-out defects.   You can drive yourself crazy trying to hear defects instead of just enjoying the music.     And, then if you hear something "unusual" you won't know if it's from a defect on the CD or just something that's part of the recording.   

Reply #3
As Doug said, amazon are actually very good with returns/swaps, you usually have to pay return postage though. If you're prepared to do that then you could rip the next one they send and see if it has the same issues.

Reply #4
You can drive yourself crazy trying to hear defects instead of just enjoying the music.  

Isn't that what the audiophile audiophool philosophy cultism is all about? :D :D

Sorry. I just couldn't resist the cross reference. ;)
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução